• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Last Call

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:30 am Reply with quote
Pleasure reading your thoughts as always, Bamboo. I wish my personal reaction to Gatchaman Crowds had been stronger. I could see the show was damn good, but it just never grabbed me and made me want to watch it and enjoy it. Maybe I'll rewatch it sometime later.

Fully agree with The Eccentric Family at number 1. I knew we had something special on our hands with episode 1, and it only got greater as it went on. A truly warm, winning series.

I too put Watamote and Silver Spoon after, followed by Kiniro Mosaic (I'd at least have thought it would rank higher than Danganronpa and Day Break Illusion, but, hey, that's personal opinion for you). I'll cut it short there, and reassure you that Brothers Conflict never became the season's dark horse masterwork.
mckg1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:18 am Reply with quote
well written Smile.thanks Bamboo.
AkiraKaneda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:26 am Reply with quote
You know you have a good season when Attack on Titan ranks fifth.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:35 am Reply with quote
I thought honestly Gatchaman's position would drop considerably. I'm surprised that it's still staying at 2 despite how they sort of dropped the ball on the last episode. There may have been some merit and a bit of development, everything is rushed too much, I'm praying for OVA or some news of the production.

That being said, I still loved the whole show how it managed to be modern and commentary on the whole communication. The characters were also lovely and very progressive. The development was thoughtful. The voice acting throughout the whole show was brilliant, I wish more people watched the anime.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
1. Monogatari Second Season - Very good: Monogatari is one of my favorite anime franchises, and thus the Second Season became my most anticipatted show of the year. So far this show has kived up to my expectations and the franchise continues shine.

2. Silver Spoon - Good: I decided to watch this series because it is being adapted from a manga written by Hiromu Arakawa. After the first eleven episodes, I like what I have seen so far, and I will anxiously wait for the second season.

3. Attack on Titan - Good: this show continued to pack a heavy dose of adrenaline. It has gotten really good and intriguing over the last few episodes, but I can only give it a Good rating because several questions remains answered. I hope a second season is soon announced because the premise of this show is very thrilling.

4. The Eccentric Family - Good: this is a beautiful looking series with occassional nice moments but its plot can be sloopy. I wish I have enjoyed this show more, but I am not too comfortable when I contantly have to figure out what exactly is going on.

5. KINMOZA! - Decent: other than K-On, I am not a big fun of moe-centric shows, but Kin-iro Mosaic immediately charmed me. The first episode made it look as if the show was going to be more story driven. It turned out to be more episodic in nature, but I had a fun time watching it.

6. Servant x Service - Decent: I went into this show knowing almost nothing about it; I just knew it seemed like a potential good comedy. The first episode was nice, but it entered a mediocre phase in the following episodes. It bounced back nicely in the last few episodes but not enough to consider it good.

7. WATAMOTE - So-so: much like Servant x Service, WATAMOTE had a strong start but began to get good only after the last third. I am giving WATAMOTE a lower grade because it had the potential to say some really interesting things about social outcasts, but it failed because it went in circles too much.

* I ended up catching up with Genshiken 2 last week. I do not have a specific ranking, but I enjoyed it and gave it a Very good ANN rating.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
giseki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
I hardly ever buy anime...mainly because i'm a cheapskate and poor...buy i really want to buy watamote...because i think that show is truly unique...yep....those are my thoughts...
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
Thanks and nice article (and series), Bamboo; I agree with most of the ideas.

Then, while it's not in the stream list (I think it was dropped before), I ended liking Mushi Bugyo. While it had quite of fanservice (sometimes it felt like: "Oh, no, we forgot this episode's panyshot! hurry, put one before it ends!"), in the end it was a typical shônen adventure (friendship, effort, victory) where in the end everything is alright and the sun shines over Edo.*

*spoiler[except Oooka, who ended armless and quite dead... and most the baddies]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
Bamboo / Blood- Summer 2013 comparison rankings

(shows that are bolded in Bamboo's column means I wasn't watching those shows)

1. The Eccentric Family / same
2. Gatchaman Crowds / Attack on Titan
3. Silver Spoon / Servant x Service
4. Watamote / same
5. Attack on Titan / Love Lab
6. Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club / Railgun S
7. Genshiken 2 / The World God Only Knows 3
8. Sunday without God / same
9. Stella Women's Academy C3-bu / Blood Lad
10. Majestic Prince / Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya
11. Day Break Illusion / Fantasista Dolls
12. Fate/kaleid Liner Prisma Illya / Day Break Illusion
13. Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen / Silver Spoon
14. Danganronpa the Animation / Recorder and Randsell Mi
15. Blood Lad / Gatchaman Crowds
16. Kinmoza / Senyu Dai 2 Ki
17. Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist / Yami Shibai
18. Chronicles of the Going Home Club / Stella Women's Academy C3-bu
19. Gifu Dodo!! Kanetsugu and Keiji / Danganronpa the Animation
20. Servant x Service / Dog & Scissors

The only point of difference that jumps out at me is the fact that Bamboo dropped Servant x Service. That somebody could rank Makai Ouji (which I saw two eppies of before dropping) or Danganronpa (which I did see to completion) higher than it sort of wounds my soul.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Gatchaman Crowds so high. That show was a breath of fun and fresh air to the level that I rarely see. I always felt so pumped after watching episodes of it. It's been my favorite anime this year. I wish I could get more people to watch it!
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I would agree with the position of Gatchaman Crowds...if the last episode hadn't completely screwed up. Really, I don't know how you can call that "perfect" in any way. They had this big lead up to the final moment we were all waiting for, and then it was just scrapped. When you consider how the first half of episode 11 was glorified recap and not really important, it becomes even more infuriating. A huge disappointment in what was otherwise a great show.

I will agree, however, that Free!'s finale was great. And when you talk about Stella's final being good, I hope you're talking about episode 12, which is the actual end of the story and was indeed very good, and not the horrible episode 13.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Now lets see if someone, anyone will license Eccentric Family
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Why do people think that of Gatchaman Crowds was bad?From what I have seen most comments come down to"Its bad because its bad". Thematically,it made sense and it wasnt completely idealistic like Bamboo presents it to be.I dont really think shows message was how everyone naturally tends towards heroism.Rather the shows message is how everyone will tend toward heroism,if you create a system that rewards said heroism and gives them clear and simple goals for their action.This isn't just plain idealism,similar results were produced when experimenting with a group of people.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Daybreak Illusion was an interesting watch. I'm glad I stuck with it to the end. The final boss was a pretty badass design too.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Watamote had such a wasted ending. I loved the show up until the last episode. Tomoko didn't learn anything at all, and what could have been a strong end to an excellent series is now only a weak end to a good series. Let's hope that the OVA and manga will continue the story better and hopefully give us a good conclusion.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Watamote had such a wasted ending. I loved the show up until the last episode. Tomoko didn't learn anything at all, and what could have been a strong end to an excellent series is now only a weak end to a good series. Let's hope that the OVA and manga will continue the story better and hopefully give us a good conclusion.

The manga's been continuing the story and developing Tomoko further – into a much worse person.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2