• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just finished Garden of Sinners and feel gypped.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLordofShadows

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I am sure that I am going to receive a lot of criticism for this, but I didn't enjoy The Garden of Sinners.

I am not saying that it's a bad anime; it's just not as amazing as SO many people claim it to be. I feel that it's WAY over hyped. I saw so many reviews about it on youtube where the reviewers praised it and it was done by ufotable (who also did Fate/Zero). So maybe I was going in expecting it to be a masterpiece.

After I finished the seventh movie I had a blank look on my face. There just wasn't anything really compelling about it that made me want to keep watching it (such as the story, the characters, the animation, the art style, or the music). I kept saying to myself, okay this will be the movie where it all comes together and it starts to get good. Sadly, that never happened.

The movies feel more episodic without an overarching plot that tied them all together. The characters aren’t all that interesting. The animation and art style are good, but not as amazing as the art style of Gankutsuou or the lighting fast animation of Attack on Titan.

I feel so cheated about this. So many people praise this anime and I really wanted to enjoy it. Sadly there’s just no substance. Am I missing something here? Could someone please help me with this? On a side note, I did watch it in chronological order.

i. Movie 2 (Satsujin Kousatsu / A Study of Murder)

ii. Movie 4 (Garan no Dou / The Hollow Shrine)

iii. Movie 3 (Tsuukaku Zanryuu / Remaining Sense of Pain)

iv. Movie 1 (Fukan Fuukei / Overlooking View)

v. Movie 5 (Mujun Rasen / Paradox Spiral)

vi. Movie 6 (Boukyaku Rokuon / Oblivion Recorder)

vii. Movie 7 (Satsujin Kousatsu (Go) / A Study of Murder (Part 2))
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
TheLordofShadows wrote:
The animation and art style are good, but not as amazing as the art style of Gankutsuou or the lighting fast animation of Attack on Titan.

Alright. Whatever you say. Gankutsuou can't even decide if it wants the background to bleed through the characters or not. It can't even be consistent at its one little visual flair that people seem to gush about. And Titan I'm pretty sure had a stretch of 3 or 4 episodes in the middle with some of the cheapest and cost-saving animation I've seen in awhile. Tons of pans, tons of stills, etc.

The thing about Garden of Sinner's animation and art is that it is consistent. If you can't appreciate consistency then yeah, your mind will be wandering to that few seconds of pizazz that was in a specific Titan scene or that cool background bleed-through effect that Gankutsuou would sometimes have.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, you are kind of missing something yes; there's 3 more films you haven't seen. One is a compilation film of the first seven, and the other two are sequels/epilogues. One of those epilogs is on the BD release and there is definitely info there you are missing. It's on the extras disc along with the recap film I mentioned. The other epilog movie has only been released in Japan this year and doesn't have a home video release so none of us non-Japanese fans have been able to see it yet either.

That being said, as a fan of the films I'll be the first to point out that Type/Moon works are not for everybody, they're an acquired taste. Don't beat yourself up over it if you don't nerd out for them as much as other people do.

Personally, what kept me watching these was the rare genre combo mystery/thriller which I am a fan of but don't see much of in anime. On that note this movie series excels at creating the perfect edgy and gritty mood, achieved through the amazing looking animation and the music from my absolute favorite music composer, Yuki Kajiura. What ties this show together is not so much the story, but by the characters in it, though there is an overall plot too.

What I think throws a lot of people off of this movie series is that essentially the main villains spoiler[the mages, Souken Araya and Cornelius Alba, who were responsible for unlocking the powers of and manipulating the other insane supernaturally powered murderers in the city, are killed off in only the 5th movie, rather than the final one. Then the movies go on for 4 more films afterwards. So one may think that the project is either rather aimless/badly put together or Shiki and her struggles with her own psychosis were the main focus instead.] Despite liking the series I don't think I could blame anyone for believing it was the former rather than the latter.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I agree it's fairly good but it is not like "best anime ever", just a nice one among hundreds of titles of comparable quality. But the art, animation and music is top of the line.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clarste

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
TheLordofShadows wrote:
On a side note, I did watch it in chronological order.

Well, there's your problem right there. I would never recommend watching something out of order. If it's not written in chronological order that's usually for a very good reason. In this case it's suppose to create an air of intrigue, or less charitably make the viewer wonder what the hell is going on. The first movie, which you watched 4th, has very little to do with anything else because it's written to stand on its own as an introduction to the setting (without actually answering any questions). Of course you'd be bored watching it since you already knew the answers and it was just wasting your time.

Seriously, don't do that kind of stuff. All writing is purposeful, even if it's bad. In order to properly judge something you have to experience it as it was intended. Now, I'm not saying that Garden of Sinners is the perfect anime and that you'd necessarily love it if you'd watched it in order: it's still a divisive work that probably doesn't appeal to a lot of people, but you didn't even give it a chance to try to tell its story in its own way. You just ruined it from the beginning.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
TheLordofShadows wrote:
I am sure that I am going to receive a lot of criticism for this, but I didn't enjoy The Garden of Sinners.

You... bastard!

Bur first of all hit the person who advised you to watch it in the chronological order. Release order has a point in cases like this, even if sometimes not a very good one.

While the story is quite episodic, it does all come together. The storyline comes together in Movie 5 when Araya's plot is revealed. Shiki's character comes together in Movie 7 + the epilogue when her personality (-ies) is explained and she gets a closure. So it does seem that you missed some things beyond liking or disliking it.
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote
I watched it in the order that they were produced, and I felt that as I progressed through the movies information started to fall into place, culminating with the final one where I felt everything made sense at last. I thought it was a very satisfying way to present a story though I also think that it is not something that would appeal to everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheLordofShadows

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll re-watch it in release order in 6 months to a year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1