• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing: if you know my moderation style and if you report posts that cascade into a shitstorm of other replies to it that are most likely going to get deleted, why do some of you insist on lingering your word-fights wasting lots of time to type things up when it's just gonna' get moved to the Trash forum, regardless?

I already deleted 17 posts based on 1 user's report, and yet residual traces of the origin post that started this mess are still here 2 pages later. I'm sure the whole:

Teh Rules wrote:
Above all else: Be Polite

is etched into your brains already.

And I do believe constructive criticism (both positive and negative) is okay for a discussion thread (otherwise, what's the point of "discussing").

Personal insults, on the other hand, are not cool. So please, don't do it (and then report it, and then keep insulting each other back and forth).

I've cleaned out what I can for now. But there's too much residue mixed in with some valid points, that I'll have to actually pick through posts individually for the rest. Until I get to them, carry on..
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Until I get to them, carry on..

He means carry on the discussion, not the arguments. It's like a bunch of lawyers in here, Tony; you must be concise and leave no room for interpretation.

Last night this thread was doing fine, and then today it became a war...and I missed it. Sad C'mon guys, if you're going to bicker, do it when I'm not at work.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Here's the thing: if you know my moderation style and if you report posts that cascade into a shitstorm of other replies to it that are most likely going to get deleted, why do some of you insist on lingering your word-fights wasting lots of time to type things up when it's just gonna' get moved to the Trash forum, regardless?

The problem is that there's this idea that if you're not the one who gets the last word, then you've lost. People hate feeling like they've lost.

Anyways, the main criticism I've always had is that Saki did not get a proper introduction at all. A lot of the cast got established during the eating contest scene but she was absent from it. She's first shown briefly playing on her phone while the others were cleaning the shrine. Then in episode 2 she suddenly starts taking control of the situation. I was all "Uh, who are you and why are you suddenly acting all important?" For being one of the major characters she was not off to a very good start.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
It did kind of fit with her personality, though. She had no interest with interacting with anyone, but when things needed done she probably thought "telling people what to do? I do that all the time; I can handle this!"
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Maybe, but it doesn't explain why she was hanging out with Haruto and the gang in the first place. If she was such a loner then why would she be there at the shrine? If she just wanted to skip her supplementary lessons there were plenty of other places she could go. No one in the group even acknowledged she was there until episode 2 when she starts talking.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Bit fuzzy on the details there (and too lazy to go look), but I thought they were supposed to be cleaning the area, so she showed up like she was supposed to...except didn't do anything constructive.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Nope. First time she's mentioned is when the teacher looked at the list of students who were supposed to show up for her swimming lessons and noted that Saki was missing.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see why this is a problem: every character needs to be introduced at some point. I can tell you it never felt jarring. She just was there.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
That's not really an introduction, though. Hell, I didn't even know her first name was Saki until the episode 5 preview. Even then I went "Who's Saki?" because I thought Rukino was her first name.

It's more of an issue because she was meant to be a major character.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
Full names are a mere formality and one I barely care for. I felt episode 2 did more than enough to begin establishing her as a character who could play a very active role in the story after being caught up in the flow of events. In practice, I would say that was a perfectly valid form of informal introduction.

The rest is stuff that arguably makes sense in retrospect, because we all know the character did in fact receive enough attention afterwards, or which works just fine for me even when left up to the viewer's imagination.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
That's not really an introduction, though. Hell, I didn't even know her first name was Saki until the episode 5 preview. Even then I went "Who's Saki?" because I thought Rukino was her first name.

It's more of an issue because she was meant to be a major character.

流木野 サキ, サキ(saki is the first name)

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Damn Thunder won't be dying anytime soon Sad. So any guesses who will be piloting the spoiler[the last Valvrave]? Based on the opening it might be spoiler[ the computer girl, because she appears next after it shows the current 4 pilots. Although I wouldn't put much stock into it since she is afraid of human contact.]

i think she is the last one, too. You don't need to human contact to pilot a Valvrave

Well if she can talk with them through video then maybe, but it probably won't be effective to have a soldier like her.

it looks like we guessed right. The opening gives alot more info than you think.

based on beginning of ep 4 and ep 12, spoiler[it looks like saki is the only survivor of Golden Seven and their nation, Third Galactic Empire, is probably the most powerful nation after 200 years.]

It looks like that Cain guy is spoiler[ first/second generation Magius. Haruto, Saki, and other are third generation .]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Everyone's favorite space opera with vampires is back!
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the best comedy of the year is back in action and is as silly as ever. The whole "twist" spoiler[with with the Valvraves being powered by assaults was pretty interesting and Saki being cool with Haruto doing it to her had me rolling and kinda made the "rape" from before seem even siller.] Wonder what else the second half has in store Laughing

OP song is also pretty fabulous. As nice as the first one
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see this back. Where can I get me some Beast High?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Is it just me or does everyone's ears look strange? Like more pointed than they were before.

Also there seemed to be a part with Shoko mentioning that she wants to tell Haruto about her feelings for him, I don't remember that being something earlier.

I really want that shota like guy to die already, why has it not happen yet?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 32