• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Galilei Donna (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote

Galilei Donna

Genres: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Plot Summary: In 2061, global warming is a thing of the past as a new ice age covers the world. Hozuki, Hazaki, and Kazaki Ferrari, three descendents of Galileo, live in Tuscany. A mysterious organization is searching for the "Galilei Donna," and put out an international arrest warrant for the three sisters. The sisters must put aside their differences to join forces in fighting the organization and learning their true destiny.

Episode 1
Nice, I'm liking this so far.

The beginning was pretty intense. I like the OP song as well~
I like that little scooter honestly, seems like a nice gadget to have. I'm actually liking most aspects of the series' technology so far actually with the spacecrafts.

This dude has some cool style: http://i.imgur.com/M4Rhvja.png

I'm actually really liking those spacecraft designs now tbh..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I came into this one with low expectations, but wow did this one surprise me. Loved everything about this episode. Enjoyed the setting, the animation, the music, the characters....even the writing was halfway decent.

spoiler[A combat airship shaped like a goldfish. Nothing more needs to be said. The world needs more of these.]

The gadgetry theme is a really nice touch. It gave the show some much needed personality.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
There are multiple events going on one after another in this first episode, but the issue is that there is a very minimalistic amount of time put on our titled trio even when there is a lul in the action.

Hell, the pre credit scene is a squad of mechs raiding a mining facility.
spoiler[
The only thing I can surmise is the youngest daughter has the "inherited brilliance of Galileo" and a shady organization want her, and there efforts to kidnap the other girls is because at the time the organization isn't sure which has the ability.
The problem is that is simply McGuffin and doesn't tell me much about the individual characters.]
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, the last of the current season anime has arrived (at least, the ones I'm watching), and it was definitely a lot of fun. The animation was good, and the action and characters were enjoyable. Yup, this one's a keeper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
This was my most anticipated show this season and it didn't disappoint!

And I loved that spoiler[Shishiino (the air pirate) pretty much fell in love with Hazuki when she started bitching him out.]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
So we got a somewhat lazy older child, a rebel middle child, and a genius youngest child. I loved how the sisters interacted with each other. It wasn't your generic "OMG I LOVE MY LITTLE/OLDER SISTERS!!!!", but a rather "I don't like you that much but you are still family."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, if anyone expects me to go against the mood of this thread and say the show sucks...

...you'll be disappointed. I really like this. Great visuals, intriguing story, interesting characters ... not much to hate here, that's for sure.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
As expected of Umetsu, glad to see he's back in the saddle and with multiple shows. It appears his next one, Wizard Barristers, will be much more "him" since it carries his character design and even more of that kinetic animation he's good at. I noticed some in this episode as well, down to the small subtleties like the non-overbearing shaky cam. I wish a fansubber was taking this on, the low bitrate on CR is showing and that's a problem with action-heavy series.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Damn! That...show...was...the...SHIT! Finally, something that is not as generic as the next show. There is no obvious love interest, there is no obvious solution--except maybe the power of family--smacking us in the face; it's pretty much up for grabs right now. The animation was great and the conflicting characters were nice. The goldfish was my favorite. spoiler[Goldfish: "Now I'm pissed! Lets strike back!"] He was cool. There wasn't too much action, but there was enough to make it interesting. I'm definitely keeping this series.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
Wait so is this show mostly gonna be about big doofy CG mechs? That's disappointing. Also, am I correct in understanding that this girl is just a normal little girl but is just such a super genius that she builds mechs right under her parents noses? On the bright side, it's quite interesting to see a show about siblings who actually act like siblings and who come from a divorced family instead of a either a totally idealized one or a nonexistent one. I'm interested to see what they do with it.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:53 am Reply with quote
I was initially enticed into this by the piano line in the very first promo.

What I got was an exercise in sheer brilliance! How delightful!

My sentiments are pretty consistent with what has been said so far. A lot of funny moments crept up upon me in this show (spoiler[Shiishino: "It's not loaded."]).

I'm really liking that they've spoiler[made Hozuki the child genius of the family. Haven't seen that in a while. Probably the cutest child genius that I know, too! I'm jealous of her little scooter--it's more compact than my fold-up bicycle. That, and mine doesn't shoot stun rounds. :V]

3D animation is a bit stilted. I'd actually rate it on par with, or perhaps lower, than that of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex or Last Exile, anime that are now close to ten years old. Perhaps they were groundbreaking for their time--I dunno. Still... spoiler[a [expletive] Goldfish airship! There is no argument to that!]

The beginning sequence excited my fanboy molecules because it reminded me of Armored Core. Speaking of which, I wonder if they ever got around to making that OVA...?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

My first thought at the beginning: So this is like Lost Planet the anime?

Thoughts about the OP song: I don't know what it is about this, but I hate it. It just grates on my nerves when I listen to it, it just drones on.

Honestly I am not happy with a show starting off with what appears to be a mining area spoiler[attacked and innocents killed] for I have no idea, and then followed up by some really bad stereotypical thugs spoiler[trying to kidnap girls] for I don't know what reason. Throw in things like the setting being boring, their surname being something so bad as Ferrari, but strange Japanese feel like their school and their first names being quite Japanese. The setting turned me off.

The characters barely interest me, one feels like a young adult brat, one like a robot, and the youngest while cool switches between helpless and spoiler[taking down a mech] like it is nobodies business. Not to mention that the OP and ED show the youngest in nothing but overalls, that feels a little bit like fanservice and I do not appreciate that. A giant goldfish actually is rather intriguing, but it still feels like a lapse in logic. Oh, and the villain, what a hippie punk, I was yelling at the screen that I will not watch this show if he turns out or into a good guy, and what do they do, spoiler[make him look a bit like likable rogue towards the end and show that the gun was empty]. Sorry but that does not make up for what he did so far, and I really don't want him to turn out to be a good guy from what he did. And what were his henchmen called: Giovanni and Salvador? That is terrible. And calling her bambina, perhaps it my personal hatred from that one arcana show spilling over for that.

Why are you all saying this is so great? The animation and tech did have some merits, and it avoids some cliché pitfalls, but it just feels so.... I don't have a word to describe it. I fail again at see what you all seem to see.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Why are you all saying this is so great?

Come on man, you've seen enough anime to know how this works. It's subjective. Personally, I thought the half an eppie of "My Mental Choices...etc, etc" that I managed to sit through was utter crap. Other people are hailing it as a 5/5 piece of comedic genius.

Different strokes for different pokes. Er, folks.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:24 am Reply with quote
Scooter to spoiler[suitcase to giant tazer] was cool.

Airships that spoiler[look like fish] was very fun.

I didn't mind them projecting the spoiler[I'm a bad guy who may not be that bad] vibe. Cliche but I can deal with it right now, depending how they handle it.

Sisters with different personalities that don't get along? I'm cool with that and could lead to interesting conflicts.

Shoehorning in the whole Galileo thing felt a little clunky. The girls are half Japanese? Come on be brave if you are going to be in Italy, just make them Italian.

I thought they started it off with action, between the opening sequence and the attempted kidnappings to grab viewers attention and for the most part it works. Aside from some clunky parts it grabbed me enough to give it a few episodes.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
I got a real Coyote Ragtime vibe from this show, which is good because I loved that thing. True, it's got one of my biggest pet peeves (Galileo? Really?) but it's one that I can't actually be ticked about until the show is over because they might resolve it (I just hate when it's a focus of importance in almost every line but the details have nothing to do with it). But despite the Galileo thing I feel all the other aspects make it a seemingly fast-paced show with a good setting, just enough wackiness, great characters and brilliant mechanical design. Fish ships?spoiler[ Transforming gun scooter with rocket booster?] I think the briefcase guns in GitS was the last time I saw something that cool. Also, I'm calling this now: spoiler[Loli's ship will have a mecha form].

Also, I'd like to thank you guys. When watching this ep I actually figured I'd come here to post my opinion and see a 3 page argument over how the kidnappers were treating the girls poorly. To be honest, I'm amazed. I almost ignored the topic over it but I guess I'm proven wrong.

It'll be a while until I can remember the names since they're so similar so I'll just called them Rebel, Loli and Drunk. While I love Rebel's visual design I think Loli is going to be my favourite. I always loved the concept of a loli greasemonkey and I love greasemonkeys in general. There's just something cute about a girl in overalls with a wrench in her hand. Drunk would be my least favourite but that's only because she brings back bad memories of when my high school introduced an introductory law course and everyone who took it suddenly thought they were district attourney-level and declared they'll sue for everything (Slander. LOL) which carried over into university. But in that regard she's an extremely realistic character because, well, she's failing at it and acting the same way people I know did.

Also, props for the extremely realistic family mechanic. All too often media in all cultures depicts families as either endlessly loving or endlessly hating. Their family felt a lot like my own in how they tolerated each other out of familial love and duty but defaulted to an antgonistic state with each other. I really look forward to the social challenges these sisters will face.

Additional stuff:
-Stun gun launcher? So it's a gun that shoots stun guns at people? Can they pick up the stun gun and attack you with it, or does the stun gun beam them in the head and knock them out? "Stun gun launcher GO!!!" *whap* "Ow!" Reminds me of the RPG Launcher I had in a tabletop game. It shot books and videogames at people. The TSR Compendium did loads of damage.

-Just for fun I tried walking like the cop was. Yeah, it looks really stupid in real life too.

-Their dad looks like a nice guy version of the main villain in an H game I played. This is going to be funny.

-In the intro we see Hozuki pop out of a pile of technocolour wrenches and it couldn't help but make me want to watch Duck Tales again. WOO OOO~

-I was just informed that the OP shows the sister's names in a targeting circle at one point. So I have no excuse for being lazy with them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19