• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Hello, I was wondering if I could join your Fruits Basket discussion! I have avoided this topic for awhile because I am only following the English releases (volume 15) and was too scared to have something spoiled for me. But I read over the discussion and it seems the parts where you discuss the last few Japanese releases are now over, and these weekly discussions on different characters seem interesting. Those of you who have completed the manga also do a good job of pointing out the really BIG spoilers beforehand for the English manga readers so I am relieved.

Also it seems that there are others who are only following the English releases, and that made me feel better and like I maybe might be able to contribute some thoughts.

(To: Fighterholic and aya honda: You guys are really admirable! I really wish I could read Japanese because I would be buying the Jpaanese volumes instead of the English releases!)

You don't have to wonder. We always welcome anybody who might want to contribute their views and points or just to ask questions that we who post here in the thread can answer Wink It would be a disservice to our fellow Fruits Basketholics were we to tell how things turn up in the end, or at least until the last English language volume is released. From this point pretty much the rest of the characters are ones we can cover even if we don't have the entire series out. Almost all of the characters though have something to contribute in the very end, though their presence in the end may be as big as it was in the beginning. And to me it's a privelage to be able to speak Japanese. I studied the language for nine years, and I'm glad I haven't forgotten it yet. Welcome to the Fruits Basket thread!!! Very Happy
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Now I just have to go and reread the series again, to refresh my memory and to prepare for Volume 16 next month!

The fourth month release periods really take a toll on what I am able to remember...hehe, but I have read through all my volumes about two or three times...every once in a while just to help jog my memory, especially with stuff that happens early in the series.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Okay people, I have picked up the final volumes of the Fruits Basket series!! Very Happy Volume 23 and the Fruits Basket Fanbook Celebration Version were released a couple days ago in Japan, and I was fortunate that they shipped them over here to be released the same date. After reading volume 23, I have to say that the finale was just spectacular, and Takaya sensei definetly made it out to be in my book a masterpiece and a classic that will stick around for years to come. I would definetly let my kids read it when I have some Laughing And the results of the third and last character popularity contest came out. There were some surprises here and there, I'll post the top ten for now and come back to edit my post so you'll be able to compare from the last two contests.

1. Kyo (3rd time champion)
2. Tohru (3rd time runnerup)
3. Yuki (3rd time 3rd place)
4. Kisa
5. Hatsuharu
6. Hatori
7. Momiji
8. Shigure
9. Ayame
10. Kakeru
cerulean88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
cerulean88 wrote:
Shocked there's Kinokuniya stores in the US???!

And HERE she is, back once again Very Happy Yes, there are. In fact, there's one that is only a thirty minute drive from my house.

hey that is sooooo cool =D i'll have to find one of them stores if i go to the US Very Happy bookshops are such <3~

fighterholic wrote:
Okay people, I have picked up the final volumes of the Fruits Basket series!! Very Happy Volume 23 and the Fruits Basket Fanbook Celebration Version were released a couple days ago in Japan, and I was fortunate that they shipped them over here to be released the same date. After reading volume 23, I have to say that the finale was just spectacular, and Takaya sensei definetly made it out to be in my book a masterpiece and a classic that will stick around for years to come. I would definetly let my kids read it when I have some Laughing And the results of the third and last character popularity contest came out. There were some surprises here and there, I'll post the top ten for now and come back to edit my post so you'll be able to compare from the last two contests.

1. Kyo (3rd time champion)
2. Tohru (3rd time runnerup)
3. Yuki (3rd time 3rd place)
4. Kisa
5. Hatsuharu
6. Hatori
7. Momiji
8. Shigure
9. Ayame
10. Kakeru

i think its kinda predictable how Kyo and Tohru will be in the top 2 yay~~ =D I wasn't expecting Kisa to be 4th, maybe a rank or 2 lower.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
cerulean88 wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
cerulean88 wrote:
Shocked there's Kinokuniya stores in the US???!

And HERE she is, back once again Very Happy Yes, there are. In fact, there's one that is only a thirty minute drive from my house.

hey that is sooooo cool =D i'll have to find one of them stores if i go to the US Very Happy bookshops are such <3~

There is also a Kinokuniya Bookstore here where I live, in the International District (or Chinatown) in Downtown Seattle. I am sure that there are many you can find in the US, especially in areas where there is a large Asian community.

Btw, Fighterholic, who is on the cover of Volume 23?

In regards to the poll, Kyo is first?!? Wow, I am surprised, but not really because he is my favorite character also! I didn't know that his character was so popular in Japan as well. I always thought that I was in the minority. But maybe I like Kyo so much because I am already a HUGE cat lover/cat person. From the first volume I couldn't get enough of his shy/awkward angriness. Ah well I am getting off topic, I'll save my thoughts for whenever it is Kyo week!

I really don't know if I can add to the discussion about Machi this week that hasn't been already covered since I've only read up to Volume 15. At this point she was introduced and they have gone into her spoiler[family situation with Kakeru, her habit of destroying rooms, and right at the end, when she is confronted by the Yuki fangirls, she seems to have this emotional connection or understanding of how Yuki really is. Lonely. I think that it was at this point that I thought Yuki and Machi could possibly end up being together, especially since this was the volume that Yuki realized that he looked at Tohru as a mother figure, and that it was Kyo who saw her as a woman].
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Btw, Fighterholic, who is on the cover of Volume 23?

In regards to the poll, Kyo is first?!? Wow, I am surprised, but not really because he is my favorite character also! I didn't know that his character was so popular in Japan as well. I always thought that I was in the minority. But maybe I like Kyo so much because I am already a HUGE cat lover/cat person. From the first volume I couldn't get enough of his shy/awkward angriness. Ah well I am getting off topic, I'll save my thoughts for whenever it is Kyo week!

I really don't know if I can add to the discussion about Machi this week that hasn't been already covered since I've only read up to Volume 15. At this point she was introduced and they have gone into her spoiler[family situation with Kakeru, her habit of destroying rooms, and right at the end, when she is confronted by the Yuki fangirls, she seems to have this emotional connection or understanding of how Yuki really is. Lonely. I think that it was at this point that I thought Yuki and Machi could possibly end up being together, especially since this was the volume that Yuki realized that he looked at Tohru as a mother figure, and that it was Kyo who saw her as a woman].

Volume 23 features Kyoko, Tohru's mom. Had to figure that that was who was going to be put on the last volume of the series, since Katsuya (Tohru's dad) was featured on volume 22. Start with daughter, end with mother is what Takaya sensei mentions in a side note. As for Kyo being first, he beat out Tohru and Yuki all three contests. Which I find interesting since he wasn't the main character of the series.

If I go into discussion about Machi, I found her in the beginning to be a complex character, and I would often wonder why she spoiler[would mess things up. I would think she's got some REAL issues going on or something. Later volumes shine light on her part thankfully. And with that, bringing Yuki into the picture to want to help someone out like he was helped out.]
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
If I go into discussion about Machi, I found her in the beginning to be a complex character, and I would often wonder why she spoiler[would mess things up. I would think she's got some REAL issues going on or something. Later volumes shine light on her part thankfully. And with that, bringing Yuki into the picture to want to help someone out like he was helped out.]

I think hints of spoiler[Yuki trying to help Machi show up even in the U.S. volumes. I mean, Yuki stops Nao from making a big deal about her destroying the student council room at least once, maybe more. Even before Yuki was aware of their relationship, he knew that Kakeru was the best person to deal with that situation. Maybe instinct told Yuki that Kakeru was the only person who could really understand Machi in that situation and could help her without making the issue worse.]

And welcome Ningensei! You bring up a good point. I think spoiler[because Machi isn't blinded by hero worship like the Yuki fans are, she can see the real Yuki, who is lonely. I think Tohru, Hana and Uo have the same ability, but I don't believe Yuki is as lonely around them because they're already friends.]

I'm so glad to hear the final volume's out! Now for the 3 year wait for the translated version to hit American shores. Crying or Very sad

Fighterholic, didn't you mention that a U.S. version of the first fanbook was due out? Any word on when?

-Murph
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, Machi is the person who spotted spoiler[Yuki's weak points from the very beginning. I think that in some way she has always been aware of the fact that Yuki is not only a lonely person but a wounded soul just like her. I had the strong feeling at some point that they are on the same idea when they bought each other those presents. Even more, what made me laugh was her reaction to Kakeru's stupid remarks: throwing the meat in his face while his girl friend was so afraid for what might happen to the meat of course. Very Happy ]

But nothing compares with her reaction when (again BIG SPOILER)spoiler[Yuki offers the key to his apartment. I think that it was more then clear at that moment that they will be together for a very long time.]

Very Happy Embarassed

Oh, relax, fighterholic, I don't consider you a dictator! Laughing Wink I was just making a joke like murph said but it didn't turn out very well from the both of us.

oh, cerluean, you're back! Crying or Very sad please, tell me that you will stay a little longer this time!
Ningensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Volume 23 features Kyoko, Tohru's mom. Had to figure that that was who was going to be put on the last volume of the series, since Katsuya (Tohru's dad) was featured on volume 22. Start with daughter, end with mother is what Takaya sensei mentions in a side note. As for Kyo being first, he beat out Tohru and Yuki all three contests. Which I find interesting since he wasn't the main character of the series.

Thanks! That's good to know, I'm looking forward to it..in a few years.

That is also why I was a little surprised that Kyo won all of those popularity contests. I never really thought of him as the main character either, but I guess there is something about him that makes him so popular!

And to Murph, I do agree that spoiler[Yuki isn't as lonely while he is with the others, but I always felt that he did not fit in quite as well as Kyo may have, even though they were all friends and that Yuki still isolated himself and he needed someone like Machi for his emotional support. Kind of like a "kindred spirit"] as aya honda pointed out.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
Yuki spoiler[admitted that he wanted to be more like Kyo, to be able to talk to people. Hearing Machi say what she did about Yuki though turned that around, especially since he had made "friends" with Kakeru, and sharing things with him.]
I've been told in another thread that releases will be faster for the English releases of the series after volume 17. Instead of four months between releases it's going to be three months. Which means all of the volumes for sure will be out before the end of 2009.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness! Getting only one release every four months has been starting to drive me crazy! When I first started buying the manga there were only five or six volumes released so far, and since then I have been seeing the dates for new releases change from every two months, to every three months, to every FOUR months! I am glad that they are at least making the releases a little faster, it will help ease my pain . Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm going to be leaving my house soon, and I got called in to work tonight, so I'm going to go ahead and post the next character's hint. We're starting to get to the end of our character discussions as well, but I've already got plans for what's coming next, so don't worry about a thing.

Hint: spoiler[He was the first to go, and can never fly again.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Which means all of the volumes for sure will be out before the end of 2009.

Still not fast enough! Crying or Very sad
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Woo! I think I know. Is it spoiler[Kureno] ??
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Torhu_San wrote:
Woo! I think I know. Is it spoiler[Kureno] ??

Right you are Wink

Welcome to Kureno Week! It is known to quite a few that Kureno is the bird, though it is not known in the mainstream US that Kureno's curse is already lifted by the time he is introduced into the anime series. We also discover later on that Akito asked him to stay, and Shigure has a well grown grudge against him. Then he met Uotani Arisa.

Characters related to Kureno:
- Shigure
- Akito
- Tohru
- Uochan
- Hatsuharu
- Rin

I would think that there's other characters, so correct me if I'm wrong. Enjoy!!

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 59 of 170