• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yowamushi Pedal (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Season 1: Yowamushi Pedal (TV)
Season 2: Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road(TV) (discussion starts here)
Season 3: Yowamushi Pedal New Generation (TV)
Season 4: Yowamushi Pedal Glory Line (TV) (discussion starts here)
Season 5: Yowamushi Pedal Limit Break (TV) (discussion starts here)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 80 volumes, by Wataru Watanabe)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment

Genres: comedy, drama, slice of life, tournament

Themes: cycling, school, sports

Plot Summary: Sakamichi Onada is a wimpy high school freshman who loves anime. He initially wants to enter the anime club, but winds up joining the cycling club after meeting two classmates who are already famous cyclists. He undertakes the grueling training to compete in races, and discovers his own hidden talent in cycling.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: October 7, 2013 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 2: October 6, 2014 (Monday)

Season 3: January 9, 2017 (Monday)

Season 4: January 8, 2018 (Monday)

Season 5: October 9, 2022 (Sunday)

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 38 episodes
Season 2: 24 episodes
Season 3: 25 episodes
Season 4: 25 episodes
Season 5: 25 episodes

Total: 137 episodes
----------------------------------

Episode 1
I love the OP song! But I'm not sure I am liking Sakamichi as much though.

There's some concepts explained regarding cycling methods as well so I'm learning. It reminded me of a little of Overdrive, a series I've watched awhile ago. I'm glad they seemingly introduced most of the cast already so it's a good set up episode to what's to come later.

Aya-chan was kinda fun to watch as well. I'll stay tuned to see what's to come this. Now I just noticed as well but whoa, there are a lot of sports theme series this Fall season.

[EDIT: Although this has become the official discussion thread for the series, let it be known that user Banken actually started the first, albeit, less flashy version, of this series' discussion on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:29 pm CDT. -TK]

Last edited by Stark700 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote
I'm not a huge fan of sports anime, especially not the kind which features the stereotypical i wanna best the in the school/country/world type of hot-blooded main character, so this one surprised me in a positive way. Extra credit for not being yet another baseball or basketball anime. I might have fun with this, at least for a while...and that scene after the credits made me crack up. Laughing
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
That kid is a total clutz.
Yet somehow this anime got my attention.
I had a few laughs too.
This looks like an OK anime.
Otaku & sports! What a wild combination!
I'll give it a few episodes.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:45 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing this manga in a store in Japan and thinking "oh, I didn't realize there was another cycling manga..."

Being a cyclist I liked Over Drive, and am looking forward to Yowamushi Pedal. I wonder if it will be any good. The basic plots are almost identical... wimpy first-year high-school student with hidden cycling potential joins his school's road racing club.

Although in the case of Yowamushi Pedal, pedaling a "mamachari" (an overweight city bike designed for women) 90 km/60 miles would be seriously hardcore, even by the standards of a typical cyclist.

The Over Drive anime and manga both ended prematurely (the manga lasted a few more volumes and then ended with a 10-year timeskip... which is always a copout, just like the ending of the Capeta anime), so I'm curious to see how far this one will go.

EDIT:

I went and bought the first volume at Tsutaya... so far it's entertaining but it has a few cliched shonen tropes (the rival demanding the protagonist race him, albeit with a handicap, primarily). I hope the animated version is even better.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
It was ok, I kind of liked it. It felt light hearted, but definitely shounen. I generally don't care for sports anime or manga, but I maybe willing to give this one a try.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode.

It's almost a scene-by-scene remake of the first half of the first volume.

The differences is the seniors didn't show up up until the very end of the first volume, which is past where the episode ended, and they only show up as silhouettes. I think this is a good change because it explains why Miki is obsessed with cycling (raised in a cycling family apparently) and introduces the other characters.

For the record, bicycle gears don't spark when you change them... lol

The part where Shunsuke stops behind Sakamichi while going up the hill in the manga had another line "Damn, my feet touched the ground." Which is because it's very hard to start a bicycle that has clipless pedals going up a hill, especially a 20 degree hill.

Some of the translations for the subs I watch were a little iffy. I don't know what group because there were no markings AFAIK.

The sticker on his bike says "ouritsugun" (Royal Army) which I think is the in-universe equivalent of the Principality of Zeon or Earth Federation, probably for Toragon, the mecha anime he likes. It's not "Wang Lijun," which is a person.

"mama chari" (mommy bike) is Japanese slang for city cycle, coming from the fact that they are commonly ridden by women (especially if they have shopping baskets and skirt guards), but they are commonly used by children and students, and anyone who doesn't have a car. They are so cheap (disposable) and common in Japan that stolen and abandoned bicycles is a big problem for cities...they dredged dozens of them out of the lake at the imperial palace. But I think they should have just left it as mamachari. The word is actually used more than the proper term.

Often mamachari weigh upwards of 50 pounds and only have one gear, so they physically can't be ridden up a hill that steep (the reason Sakamichi can is because spoiler[ his has a smaller crank gear installed on it because he's been riding the same bike to since the third grade, and and apparently smaller gears are put on bikes given to children so they can't ride them very far. This also makes them much easier to ride uphill...and he's been riding to Akiba since he was 8 or 9 , and his his is even further away.])

In the first scene what Shunsuke means is "if it was a road bike with a ten-gear cassette, maybe" not "shame it wasn't a road bike with ten gears."

Also, the reason Shunsuke looks annoyed when Sakamichi introduces himself is because sakamichi means "hill road." The subs I watched didn't point that out.

Also, the manga uses real bike brands whereas, as always, the anime fudges them a bit.

Scott > Scort

Giant > Glant

Pinarello > Pinarrelo

etc...

edit;

Forgot to mention that when Shunsuke says he hadn't put his "compact" crank back on that means he was using a "double," which is a big crank gear designed for high speeds on flat roads or down hills, not for a mixture of flat roads and up hills. With a compact crank that hill would have been much easier for him.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Onoda truly is an otaku through and through.
It's kinda funny how he doesn't see his potential past the anime.
Seems like each character has its own obsession.
Guess that race was exactly what Onoda needed.
Pretty intense episode.]
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 was good. It actually improved on the original manga by changing and adding a few scenes. And that's ignoring the music and animation.

It added the scene where spoiler[ Imaizumi drops the anime club flyer and tells Miki about the race. It also adds the scene with Miki's brother and instead of the girls riding a taxi up the hill, it's Miki's brother again. It also clarifies the fact that Sakamichi was lying when he said his bike couldn't be fixed (he was trying to get out of racing him); it was unclear in the manga and confusing since he showed up on his bike.]

For reference, 27 km/h is pretty fast for a mamachari, but it's a low-effort cruising speed for a road bike. The speeds Imaizumi were doing aren't all that fast either. I blow by scooters here all the time since they're ridden by old ladies, who, surprise, drive like old ladies.

Almost every single bicycle rider in Japan rides with the saddle too low spoiler[ like Sakamichi ] because they are taught that their feet should touch the ground when in the saddle in school. It bugs the crap out of me. I got a young kid to raise his and he was tickled by how much faster he went.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:48 am Reply with quote
Looking at the number of replies this is getting I think this is going to be the underrated anime of the season. I am really enjoying it though. It just has a lot of charm. It's nice to look forward to something on a Monday.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[It was pretty intense watching Onoda give it his all on that mommy bike.
He was just amazing considering the bike handicap!!
Onoda sure gave Imaizumi a challenge he wasn't expecting ^^
On the other hand this whole race gave him an interesting experience.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Damn, it's a shame Sakamachi spoiler[lost that race even though it was kinda close at the end there]. I think a lot of characters underestimated him but if he keeps it up, he has a chance to become a real star in the world of cycling.

On another thought, lol @ the song he was singing. spoiler[HIME HIME HIME].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Damn, it's a shame Sakamachi spoiler[lost that race even though it was kinda close at the end there]. I think a lot of characters underestimated him but if he keeps it up, he has a chance to become a real star in the world of cycling.

Well, if he had spoiler[won, Imaizumi would have had to join the manga/anime club and it would have turned into an enirely different series...which might have been pretty interesting nontheless but probably no sports anime anymore. Wink]

I really like the chemistry between the two guys, so i'm enjoying this so far, even though i'm not that interested in cycling as a sport.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 am Reply with quote
I got tired of waiting and read volumes 2 and 3... do not regret it. lol.

It's not spoiler[ a shame he lost, in real life beating a high-level racer on a road bike with a 50-pound city bike, up hill, would be so ridiculous I would have stopped reading the manga on that very page.

Also, Sakamichi would still have to find three more members, which...]

manga volume 2-3 spoilers...

spoiler[...he doesn't. But he decides to join the cycling club almost immediately after he meets Naruko anyway, since he realized it would be the best way for him to make friends.]

Like the last two episodes, the slight changes and additions have improved on the original content. But considering that we have only covered 1 volume of manga, plus maybe a page worth of vol 2, I am worried that they won't catch up with the manga with a two-cour series. There are 30 volumes out so far, which at this rate would take over a year (60 episodes). And I seriously doubt the manga/anime will garner enough attention for a four-cour series.

FWIW, the anime changed a few facts.

very mild spoilers
[spoilers]Sakamichi originally said he went to Akiba since the 3rd grade (anime is changed to 4th). The fact that they bought his bike when he was in the 4th grade remains the same.

Imaizumi originally states that he rides 70 km a day, not 90, and I think in the manga he might have said it outloud (it's unclear), but it makes far more sense for him to be thinking to himself.

The after-credits scenes so far I think are originals not in the manga, but they are funny, so I like them.

The one guy who said Imaizuma was "big" originally said "tall," which is more accurate. He's about 5'11" (180 cm), but obviously is fairly thin, so big is not appropriate. [/spoiler]

I watched this episode while drinking alcohol and riding my road bike... in my room...on rollers. Just because. Hehehehe.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this immensely so far, but Sakamichi just breaks my heart. Smile The present bag was so sweet and nerdy. I hope he gets the whole bike club to love anime by the time this ends.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I heard the anime was actually 3 cours at 39 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 30