• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best World-Building Tournament: Concluded!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 Group C is now closed.

With 18 votes in, the results:

C-1: Future France obliterates Abenobashi Shopping Arcade, 17-1.
C-2: The Wired sends 1960s Japan back to the past, 15-3.
C-3: Soul Society outlasts Assiah/Gehenna, 10-8.
C-4: Ruined World inflicts its malaise on World of Pandora Hearts, 12-6.
C-5: Setting of BTM: Decode takes out Helvetia, 11-7.
C-6: Setting of From the New World telekineses Seikyou Academy into oblivion, 16-2.
C-7: Future Earth holds on against World of Ergo Proxy, 10-8.
C-8: Gargantia floats easily past Prefecture F, 15-3.

C-3 and C-7 both went into the final vote with the potential to end up ties and Helvetia held close until the late stages against BTM in C-5. All three were back-and-forth for much of the week. C-4 was close early but Ruined World gradually pulled away. The other three were blow-outs from the get-go.

All-in-all, a more competitive round than I would have expected, although the three that I absolutely expected to be blow-outs were. The surprise for me is C-7's outcome, and while I'm a little disappointed that Helvetia didn't advance, its opponent wasn't weak.

Group D is ready to go and should be posted shortly after this (if it isn't already).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 Group D is now closed.

Results can be found here.

We’ve got some intriguing-looking matches this time, including a pairing of the two female-dominated settings in the tournament. (And really, that was a total accident. I didn’t know a thing about Geneshaft when I made that match-up.) Please do check the write-ups, as some of these entries have gotten significant updates and/or rewrites since the Nominations thread.

Group D-1
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.
World of Yu-Gi-Oh, Yu-Gi-Oh!

Group D-2
Kingdom of Honneamise, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
vs.
World of Attack on Titan, Attack on Titan

Group D-3
Anno Domini Timeline, Mobile Suit Gundam 00
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

Group D-4
World of Katanagatari, Katanagatari
vs.
Japan 2030, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex franchise

Group D-5
World of Natsume’s Book of Friends, Natsume’s Book of Friends franchise
vs.
Saubure, Gosick

Group D-6
Setting of Tears to Tiara, Tears to Tiara
vs.
Italy, Gunslinger Girl franchise

Group D-7
23rd Century Sol System, Geneshaft
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

Group D-8
Universe of Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Muyo! OVA continuity
vs.
Dustbin, Scrapped Princess

Last edited by Key on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
Group D-1
Metropolis, Metropolis

Group D-2

Kingdom of Honneamise does sound pretty awesome and in a different match-up, I would probably vote for it. But I've just gotten into the Attack on Titan craze and am loving every minute of it, as the world is absolutely fascinating to me. I especially love little things like the exposition being shared in the eyecatches.

Group D-3

Group D-4

Group D-5

This series has been on my to-watch list for awhile based on the concept for it's world.

Group D-6

Another one of my nominees, plus I love all the little details that pop up throughout the show (as mentioned in the guide entry).

Group D-7
Daikuuriku, Simoun

The guide entry has made me want to check this series out for the first time, though I have known about the title at least vaguely for awhile.

Group D-8
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
D-1: Metropolis

D-2: Kingdom of Honneamise: The technology and the social structure are unique and well developed here, and I'd be happy to see this go far. Not only is the development of the space program scientifically and politically believable as it gets in its own setting, it also has its own charm that sets it apart.

D-3: Japan 2113

D-4: Japan 2030

D-5: Saubure

D-6: Setting of Tears to Tiara

D-7: 23rd Century Sol System: To add to my nomination, Geneshaft's setting is meticulously planned to give a truly unique, compelling social structure. Key's turn of phrase describing From the New World as a "novel new reality for humanity" is just as apt apt here. It is more than a realistic extension of a world which in which the people are able to alter themselves with genetic engineering. The crew of the Bilkis grapples with lost technology they don't fully understand to fight an opponent they barely understand. The meat of the worldbuilding is in the way this tests them. Every situation is carefully constructed to reveal a wealth of information about the society's predecessors, the current society's procedures and views on an extremely large topics, and the goals that every individual and faction believes humanity should adopt.

D-8: Dustbin
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Group D-1
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.

Metropolis

Group D-2
vs.

Kingdom of Honneamise. In this film’s 2 hour runtime, it develops its setting more richly than many entire series of novels do. Everything from macroscopic politics to minor details are explored, and everything is plausible, but a little different than earth: a reasonable option for a path that our socieatal and technological progression chose not to take. Cultural customs are different: their world has its own ceremonial outfits, rituals for burying the dead, religions (the fictional religion is unique, but scarily and hilariously similar to ones that exist in our world, especially in all its fire and brimstone), and writing systems. They have motorcycles that pull like lawnmowers to start, octagonal books, doorbells that work by pulling a string down that winds back up and makes a hammer hit a bell, triangular spoons, planes with the propellers in different positions, money made of small metal rods: the list goes on.

Group D-3
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

Japan 2113

Group D-4
vs.

Japan 2030

Group D-5
vs.
Saubure, Gosick

Saubure

Group D-6
vs.

Italy

Group D-7
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

23rd Century Sol System. Humanity has had to completely reinvent itself to rise from the ashes of its previous failings. Everyone is made with a place in society, with a purpose, and things are set up so that there are better checks on our aggression and stupidity. Geneshaft shows a very realistic take on what a post singularity society might be like. Some things seem obvious, but others are very difficult for us to figure out, since any social paradigm isn’t available to people who predate it.Some people are 7 feet tall and super-strong. Others are short and communicate through talking dolls. Others still have perfect memories and need no sleep. In many science fiction settings that involve genetic engineering, things go in such a way that makes everyone become the same, or more similar. The opposite is true here. Individuals become more unique, and humanity diverges. Accomplishments are rewarded with having your genes persist into the next generation, and new gene lines are always being developed. People in this society come to terms with their own mortality by taking solace in the fact that their patterns will persist in their clones.

The bottom line is, this is a story where the world building comes largely through the exploration of the new humans, who are very different than the people that currently live on earth.

Group D-8
vs.

Dustbin
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
Group D-1
Metropolis, Metropolis
I haven't seen this movie or the live-action version it's based on, but the write-up sounds intriguing. I think Yugioh's world is less consistent than other children's shows in this tournament (Pokemon, for example), with different things being added or changed depending on what's convenient for a particular spin-off.

Group D-2
Now that the (first season of) this show is finished, it really has built an impressive fantasy world for itself. I think the significance of the world to the narrative's story, characters, and tone make it a strong contender.

Group D-3

Group D-4
I think if this one would have been nominated sooner it would have been a seed in this tournament, easily.

Group D-5
Going with the one I know better.

Group D-6

Group D-7
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

Group D-8
vs.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
Group D-1
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.

Metropolis

Group D-2
vs.

World of Attack on Titan

Group D-3
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

Japan 2113

Group D-4
vs.

World of Katanagatari

Group D-5
vs.
Saubure, Gosick

I watched one episode of Gosick with someone who is interested in the history of fashion and she was constantly complaining that the costumes are not right and that the main heroine’s dress looks like something from the middle of 19th century, etc., which convinces me that it didn’t do a good job, at least as far as costumes are concerned. So I am voting for the one I’m more familiar with, Natsume’s Book of Friends, where the world-building is done quite well throughout the four seasons.

Group D-6
vs.

Setting of Tears to Tiara

Group D-7
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

Daikuuriku

Group D-8
vs.

Dustbin
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:28 am Reply with quote
Group D-1
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.

Metropolis, Metropolis

Group D-2
vs.

Group D-3
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

Group D-4
vs.

Group D-5
vs.
Sauville, Gosick

Sauville, Gosick: Granted that I've only seen the first season of Natsume's Book of Friends but it seems to me that it has a pretty much standard Japanese contemporary setting. For sure, the demons are cute and the stories appealing bu there doesn't seem to be all that much world building going on. While Gosick is perhaps inferior in its storytelling, the alternative Europe is more interesting.

Group D-6
vs.

Group D-7
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

Daikuuriku, Simoun: Coz they have "pretty" airships.

Group D-8
Universe of Tenchi Muyo!, Tenchi Muyo! OVA continuity
vs.

Dustbin, Scrapped Princess: A vote against the Universe of Tenchi Muyo! Like Excel Saga last round, everything is subsidiary to the gags and, unlike Excel Saga, the laughs are few and far between. The only good thing about the OVA series is the scrapping between Ryoka and Ayeka and there isn't enough of that to make up for its tedious and cliched worldbuilding and plots.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Metropolis, Metropolis

Group D-2

Group D-3

Group D-4

Group D-5
Saubure, Gosick

Group D-6
Celts vs. Romans. Fold in Angelology and season well with Arthurian legends. Garnish with Prometheus and serve with Elves, Dragons and Giants. And it WORKS.

Group D-7
Daikuuriku, Simoun
I'm voting for Simoun's world building here, but I think culture building is a stronger suit for that series.

Group D-8
Tenchi has a lot of world building - if you've seen/heard all of the supplementary material. Unfortunately the anime barely even scratches the surface.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Metropolis, Metropolis
It could not be any other choice for me. The different 'layers' of the city offering another setting for a lower vs upper class conflict, with the wonderful jazzy background.

Group D-2
vs.
Out of the two, this was the one that drew me in more. I liked how each episode included some new technical information about the Walls and history, or drops stories like the one about the miner trying to dig the tunnel under the wall-which provoke more questions than gives answers. It is a cruel world where you can't bet on anything. But the best thing about it (for the viewer, not for the characters) is the mystery. We still don't know where titans come from and how they came to be.

Group D-3
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

Group D-4

Group D-5

Group D-6

Group D-7

Group D-8
Dustbin, Scrapped Princess[/quote]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I had uploaded this earlier, but forgot to log in and post a link to the file.
Minigame Round 1 Group C.

Overall accuracy continues to hover just below three-quarters. Rosebrook continues to hold a 2-point lead over Olliff.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Slow but steady start for my mini-game but last tournament things could change once the seeds got involved, since I had good luck predicting who the upsets would be.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually pretty surprised that I'm toward the top of the scorers so far. Usually at this point, I'm toward the bottom if not last. Of course, I realize that this could change at any point of the game.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
Group D-1
Metropolis, Metropolis
vs.

Metropolis over the world of Yugioh. OK, while I thought Yugioh had some interesting Egyptian concepts but dragons don't belong anywhere near it, really. Maybe if they were crocodiles? Metropolis is just what it says.

Group D-2
vs.

World of Attack on Titan over Kingdom of Honneamise. Just like in King Kong, it's hard to explain how a wall got up between humanity and "here there be Monsters" world but what matters is how the wall comes down and if it comes down hard, the audience shouldn't care. And then there's the "inverse square law" and giant monsters but as a kaiju fan, I don't care. Bring them on, the bigger, the better.

Group D-3
vs.
Japan 2113, Psycho-Pass

That Urobachi guy again? AD Timeline over Psycho Pass.

Group D-4
vs.

I can get behind Ghost in the Shell, couldn't stand the wishy washy approach to cyber life in SAC. The Major? She matters, she has a soul ... in a robot body, she's alive. She says so herself so she should know. The Tanogochis? Yeah, not her department, kill them. World of Katanagatari over SAC.

Group D-5
vs.
Saubure, Gosick

Saubere over World of Natsume's Book of Friends. Another one where I haven't seen either but I've been meaning to watch Gosick while Natsume seems another series bent on youkai transplanting into a modern setting. {looks up info, oh, that was just a guess}.

Group D-6
vs.

Setting of Tears to Tiara over "Italy". Look, I could buy the Gunslinger Girl use of man/preteen girl pairings if it was set in Japan. In Italy, it's just strange.

Group D-7
vs.
Daikuuriku, Simoun

Daikuuriku over 23rd Century Sol. When your setting deconstructs and rebuilds everything, from the world to the government down to the DNA of the characters involved, you have to notice it. If it works, you have to respect it. If it's little known, you have to shout it.

Group D-8
vs.

Both use spaceships in a fantasy setting so it's an interesting matchup. Oh right, SP doesn't go into space. Also, I love the idea of sailing the seas of space in wooden spaceships, that's got to be one of the nuttiest ideas in Sci-Fi. Also, wooden robots that are just logs, not made of logs, just logs. Arms can't be that hard, right? And that cabbit that turns into a spaceship. Wow, it saves on parking, storage and fuel! Universe of Tenchi Muyo OVA over Dustbin.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Daikuuriku over 23rd Century Sol. When your setting deconstructs and rebuilds everything, from the world to the government down to the DNA of the characters involved, you have to notice it. If it works, you have to respect it. If it's little known, you have to shout it.

What I find really funny about this particular matchup is that if I hadn't read your vote, what you said about Simoun could just as easily have applied to Geneshaft. I'd say that's a pretty fortunate accident on Key's part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 34