• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Illumitoons DVD Replacement Offer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spikemcruffy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Erm , this is good news and everything, but I don't think it works for people who imported the Bobobo dvd. Is there anywhere you can buy the dvd with the corrected subtitles? Thanks!
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Spikemcruffy wrote:
Erm , this is good news and everything, but I don't think it works for people who imported the Bobobo dvd. Is there anywhere you can buy the dvd with the corrected subtitles? Thanks!

If the DVD is from Illumitoon Entertainment, and you need shipping internationally, you can always contact them directly. They might be able to work something out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote
This is definetly a step in the right direction. It's good to see that they're correcting they're mistakes. I might be tempted to get the next release of Bobobo.
domino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
As someone who didn't buy the Bobobo DVD because I heard it was dubtitled, this makes me really happy. Now I can finally go out and get a copy with no regrets.

I'm surprised and extremely pleased that they saw their mistake and not only committed to fix it for future volumes, but the previously-released first volume as well. Good job.
Spikemcruffy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Still.... these dvds aren't uncut as far as I know. If it's the same as the version aired that is.

They took a good chunk out of the rapping rollercoaster ride episode when Don Patch and Bobo rap, but I didn't see why it needed cut!
The only other edit I've noticed was the changing of the colour of wine to orange.
Mercury Crusader

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Spikemcruffy wrote:
Still.... these dvds aren't uncut as far as I know. If it's the same as the version aired that is.

The first DVD release was uncut. At least they added the stuff that was removed from what was aired originally. The only complaint was the "dubtitles."

That said, I can now buy the rest of the Bobobo series with a bit more confidence. Emphasis on "a bit more".
LC_Lapen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Spikemcruffy wrote:

They took a good chunk out of the rapping rollercoaster ride episode when Don Patch and Bobo rap, but I didn't see why it needed cut!
The only other edit I've noticed was the changing of the colour of wine to orange.

I believe the reason they cut footage is the same reason they don't show the 2nd OP or ending. Probably because they need to make room for all of the commercials. You've seen how many breaks they take on Toonami.

I can't wait to get the rest of the DVD's now. Now if only they could do something about that boxart...
spyder601

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
It is about time an anime company really listened to its fans.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
Well, good for them. It's great for a company that's targeting its products at kids to realize that there are some hardcore fans of a series that care about details and to try to work with that market as well. It's a shame 4Kids won't notice this gesture.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
I was one of the ones who e-mailed.
I specifically complained of how hopeless the closed captioning on Bobobo was due to the nature of the show. I don't think I mentioned BTX. That's a nice addition.

See, we can whine & cry on forums, or we can e-mail the company.
And they listened. Yeah!
Crawly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
As someone who didn't buy the Bobobo DVD because I heard it was dubtitled, this makes me really happy. Now I can finally go out and get a copy with no regrets.

The dubtitling wasn't the only problem these discs suffered from. I'm also glad to see them correcting that one very big problem, and glad that it looks like they're listening (though I haven't seen the "fixed" subtitles yet). However, they still have a long way to go before I'd buy their discs. Right now it's wait and see with me. If the video issues are also resolved, then they'll move up to "buy when released in box sets." Get more episodes on the discs, fix the dubtitling and font issues, and clean up the video, and then I'll buy the discs as they're released.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Why is everyone upset with BoBo's dubtitles, yet nobody has mentioned Tactics dubtitles? I found this really annoying, especially on disc three where the English track has a line of dialog that is not present in the Japanese but is still subbed! Much like the old Zeta releases I opted to turn of the subs altogether, since they weren't helping me understand what was going on and would only frustrate me with incongruous translation. I found myself thinking "I would have translated it as" and "why did they add this word" instead of actually enjoying the series.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Why is everyone upset with BoBo's dubtitles, yet nobody has mentioned Tactics dubtitles? I found this really annoying, especially on disc three where the English track has a line of dialog that is not present in the Japanese but is still subbed! Much like the old Zeta releases I opted to turn of the subs altogether, since they weren't helping me understand what was going on and would only frustrate me with incongruous translation. I found myself thinking "I would have translated it as" and "why did they add this word" instead of actually enjoying the series.

Becausae said dubtitles were completely and totally illegible, badly formatted, and the dub barely has any relevance on what the Japanese dialouge says (this is both a plus and a something else).

Fact of the matter is, most people can get by with dubtitles. They dont want to, but sometimes it happens. yes, more should be done about it, but this was quite special and pretty awful.

Subsequently, Zeta Gundam did have redone subs but I'm not bloody rebuying it simply to get them. Afterall Bandai said 'this is the only way you'll get Zeta!!!", so people bought it, got replaced OP and ED songs, and dubtitles, and then they go and re-release it with proper subtitles. When fans ask "can we have a tradein", all we get is "nope, no can do". What the hell is that?
Nermal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
So glad they're offering the replacement...I sent in my Bobobo vol. 1 dvd today. And I second the notion about the boxart ...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

Because most of us are just happy to get our hands on a licensed version of Tactics after ADV dropped it. And while I don't know the specifics, I'm assuming ADV handled the subtitles & figured for the price they're getting for this one, that's all they're giving Manga Entertainment.

There were 2 ADV Saiyuki discs (4 was one of them) where I couldn't pull up the Japanese subtitles with the English dialogue so I had to watch them separate & there seemed to be some bigger than usual changes to the dialogue, but it is hard to remember all 4 eps at once, so I might have just been perturned they ran it like that. And the issue might have been fixed by later issues-I pre-bought Saiyuki so I could get it on my doorstep the day it came out. However, since then, I've been rather suspicious of ADV's attitude about the translations.

Not to mention Generator Gawl which, as I recall, seemed like 2 different stories. On the Steel Angel Kurumi OVA commentary one of the VA's (Kira Vincent? Monica Rial?) commented they all talked about doing a dub & just going crazy-saying whatever. And we get Ghost Stories which some people loved, but I find dull on the English track. Yeah, it's fun to yell at the screen while one is watching anime (Rocky Horror style), but once the joke is told, it's told & it's not necessarily funny a second time, while the original storyline usually is still interesting if it's a decent title. Ghost Stories works subtitled, so it's no different from the Haunted Junction sub-only dvd-I can ignore the dub which I find gets annoying.

But it all makes me suspicious with ADV providing very bare-bones credits (Where's the director, etc for the Tactics dub? Not listed every time I checked (of course I stopped looking after dvd 2)

Bobobo had 3 or 4 eps, didn't it? (Looks at Saiyuki Reload & Reload Gunlock, DNAngel, DBZ single dvds, InuYasha, Hare+Guu & any other title the companies figure they can soak the fans on). Same for BTX. What''s the problem? ADV claimed the # of eps is proportional to the cost of the title. Something they got for cheap they can give us 5 eps per dvd(Saint Seiya, GetBackers) while the average is 6 dvds (4-5 eps per dvd) for the usual 24-26 ep series, look at all the 7 dvd sets we get. If the title isn't that interesting to you, you'll wait for the box as I did with Genshiken & Shrine of the Morning Mist. If it's a title you really want, you'll pre-order it as I do Kyo Kara Maoh, Tactics & Bobobo & pay a bit more.
Not to mention Bobobo is priced cheaper than the $30 usual for anime dvds. I'm pre-ordering volumes for about $12 compared to $16 for Kyo Kara Maoh & $19 for Saiyuki.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1