• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Jiu Jiu GN 4 & 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
It's with a heavy heart that I have to agree. I started Jiu Jiu and really fell in love with the pet-master relationship Takamichi and Snow/Night had, and even the underlying implications of a romantic relationship forming out of the sort of platonic/familial/paternal one was interesting and handled fairly well. It just broke my heart to read the final volume and see so little resolved, and even less make sense.

I think, while cluttered and confusing, Tobina's artwork drew me in because of its peculiarity; it didn't strike me as the "typical shoujo" style that, even when polished, can be forgettable or indistinguishable after reading hundreds of books. (While I'm at it, does anyone have recommendations for other series with "atypical" art?)

I wish very much that Jiu Jiu had focused on the shifting relationship between the heroine and her canines, the hierarchy and political struggles of the other families, and even the mystery of Takayuki - if these had been delivered more coherently and it resolved satisfactorily, I think it could have been a great manga. Crying or Very sad
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Natsume Ono has an unusual style. I'm personally not a fan, but it's not shojo even though her plots are.

I'm disappointed about Jiu Jiu. It had a very cute first volume with a lot of potential, and it wouldn't be the first human/nonhuman or even human/canine-person romance in shojo manga. It's too bad the author couldn't make it work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1