• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
By the skin of my teeth, I managed to win an E-Bay auction for the DVD release of 801 TTS Airbats.
Some will disagree — in fact, maybe most will disagree with me Very Happy — but I think 801 TTS Airbats is good stuff. Well done!
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Just arrived today (all brand new):

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail - OVA Blu Ray
We Without Wings - Complete Series Blue Ray/DVD
Michiko & Hatchin - Complete Series Part 1 Blue Ray/DVD Spec. Ed. Art Box
A Certain Scientific Railgun - Complete Series Part 1 DVD Spec. Ed. Art Box
Melancholy of Haruhi-Chan Suzumiya/Nyoron! Churuya-San - Parts 1 & 2 (complete series) DVD

Still waiting on:

Sankarea: Undying Love - Complete Series Blu Ray/DVD
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Finally received my copy of Little Witch Academia volume one in the mail. It seems Trigger's been taking lessons from NISA with the disc case being the same size as the included book(which is organized left-to-right despite being in Japanese); unfortunately, it's not packaged with a rigid box for holding both, though the disc case feels very much like a hard-cover book(for whatever reason, there's nothing printed inside the case).
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Mazinkaiser SKL is fun and has one female on there that is a bit of a newbie at first but really comes into her own by the end enough to earn some respect from the two main guys. ... (though there is one society full of female warriors in the show, which is pretty cool).

That sounds pretty boss and you honed in on just the right things for me. (Oh, either you know me too well or my pecular tastes are too obvious and predictable)

willag wrote:
Since you're watching Kill La Kill, I would definitely recommend picking up Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - it's super robot with the same over-the-top, dynamic animation. I rated TTGL as a 10/10, so I feel pretty strongly about it, though I recognize it's not for everyone. One friend couldn't suspend his disbelief enough once the robots grew to size of universes and started chucking galaxies at each other. TTGL is a very high emotion, high energy, high action show that never fails to bring me to tears during some of the later episodes. It also has one of the better main leads in Simon. Many people tend to be taken with Kamina, but I think it's Simon who sells the show (along with Nia and Youko). A lot of the supporting cast is also great.

I actually bought Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann last year in my 'Bandai panic' order, but I've been leery of watching it because of the intensity of opinions about it. I have no trouble with its spectacularly ridiculous excess. I can recall imagining similar things five minutes ago when I was a boy. Perhaps I'll finally watch it once Kill La Kill, which I am mostly enjoying, winds down EXPLODES IN A CLIMACTIC SUPERNOVA THAT WILL CONSUME THIS UNIVERSE AND TEN MILLION OF THOSE THAT SUCCEED IT BEFORE ITS SPECTACULAR RADIANCE GIVES BIRTH TO AN UNDYING UNIVERSE OF UNLIMITED, IMMEASURABLE AWESOME!

Then again, Kill La Kill is supposed to be 26 episodes long, so maybe I won't want to wait that long.

willag wrote:
...There is some necessary exposition and character relationships explained in episodes 1-4. Episodes 5 and 6 help explain character motivations and elaborate on the relationships seen in episodes 1-4. Episodes 5 and 6 just don't feel like an appropriate ending (it's a slow burn after the high action of the earlier episodes - a bit anti-climatic). Maybe watch 1-6 in order and then rewatch 1-4? Also, the Tiara at the beginning of the series feels like a different Tiara than how episode 6 ends, even though 6 ends right where 1 begins.

Now I'm just confused. Tell you what, I'll randomly assign each episode a number between one and six, then roll a die to determine what episode to start with and for each successive episode. (For additional fun, I could not eliminate episodes already watched, so I could in theory watch the same episodes multiple times without finishing the series, damning myself to an inescapable purgatory of well-animated narrative mediocrity... You're evil, did you know that?)

willag wrote:
If you're looking to get into other OVAs, I would definitely recommend picking up Five Star Stories. It comes from a long-running (and still unfinished) manga, but the story that's being told in the OVA wraps up nicely and covers just one specific arc in the manga. The manga is an epic fantasy of similar caliber to Lord of the Rings. Mamoru Nagano has developed entire worlds rich with detail, and he has already plotted out the entire timeline of the story (so even though the story isn't finished, you at least know how it all ends), and it covers a vast expanse of time...

I've long had a special affection for OVAs, except for the ones directed by Kōichi Ōhata. They're great for when I don't feel up to watching or have the time for something longer. They also offer the potential for telling stories at just the right length, although this possibility has been sorely underutilized. Sometimes I think that he greatest tragedy of modern anime isn't boobs, moe or shows about men who express their love by locking women in cages, but the abandonment of the OVA format in favor of late-night series that are mostly locked into being multiples of 12 or 13 25-minute episodes long.

I'll certainly take Five-Star Stories under advisement. It's been at the periphery of my awareness for a while, but has yet to be pushed into full view. I do admire extensive world-building. I'm also a sucker for epic time-scales and 'science fantasy', in the sense of something that muddles the tropes of science fiction and fantasy, as opposed to stuff that looks like science fiction, but really throws science out the window entirely, such as Star Wars.

Melanchthon wrote:
I love Shamanic Princess, I even went and hunted down the old OOP CPM release (labelled a 'Must-have for fans of CLAMP', despite, as far as I can tell, no-one from CLAMP ever involved with it. God, CPM was awful).

Funnily enough, when I began considering purchasing Shamanic Princess, I thought that it was a CLAMP series. Whether that's a commentary on how narrow-minded and stereotypical my understanding of CLAMP is or how fiendish CPM's absurd marketing was, I can't tell. Of course, being a CLAMP show or not hardly matters to me, so I wasn't particularly distressed to find that I was laboring under a misapprehension.

What's more baffling is that I'm pretty sure that for a while, I had somehow conflated Shamanic Princess with Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland. I still kind of want to give that one a shot too.

Sohma_Curse wrote:

Michiko & Hatchin - Complete Series Part 1 Blue Ray/DVD Spec. Ed. Art Box

Good dog, you get a biscuit!

Michiko e Hatchin is a really neat show with a cinematic feel very different from the median anime. You'll be pleased to know that it has a very good English dub. Monica Rial manages to sound very natural and effective despite acting somewhere in the crawlspace below the sub-basement of her squeaky natural.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
Decided to go ahead and order the rest of the Higurashi manga volumes I was missing (I kind of collected the arcs in random order). Those three omnibuses I got yesterday kind of forced my hand. I was missing:
5 & 6 (Curse Killing 1 & 2)
15-18 (Atonement 1-4)
19,20 (Massacre 1 & 2)
So with this, I'd only need to get 24 & 25, the rest of Festival Accompanying Arc, when they come out and I think that's all the Higurashi manga there is (at least that Yen is putting out and yes, I have the Demon Exposing side story)
Oh and I also got No. 6 vol 2 (manga, once again obviously), since I got 1, liked it, then got 3 at the comic shop the next day, but they didn't have 2. I had planed to order Vinland Saga, but I think the comic store will get it in later (they finally got in Triton of the Sea 1 for example), sometimes they get in stuff early, sometimes late, but Black Friday should be fun.

And then my next project shall be the 5 vols of Swan I am missing (4, 8, 11, 14, and 15)
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
Tiger & Bunny Blu-ray 4 limited edition. I was going to wait until next week but my girl and I are loving it way too much. Great show sad I waited so long to pull the trigger. Canceling that first volume years ago really through me off.

I might grab the first LE volume of Sacred Seven soon. The preview they use on the T&B discs make it look like one awesome show.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
@Surrender Artist
If you like world building and epic time scales you will need the Five Star Stories manga as well. The movie tells the complete first arc and sets up the universe of the remaining stories.

The author published the first 10 or 11 manga volumes in English in 26 magazine sized issues. Great artwork great stories. They are episodic enough that the absence of the remaining volumes is more of an irritation than a critical loss. Highly recommended.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote
^You haven't looked at the prices though, have you? It'd probably be cheaper to buy all of both Basara and Please Save My Earth. And Banana Fish. Laughing And most of the volumes after #13 are pretty much non-existent.

What's nice about the OVA is that it's pretty much standalone. Of course, it's frustrating knowing that more exists out there that you can't really access, but even for the manga owners that's true since not all of the Japanese manga was adapted into English and the story isn't even finished in Japan.

I'd love to recommend the Please Save My Earth OVA, but that one isn't standalone. The last episode ends at a point where it pretty much requires you to read the manga to get the rest of the story. And certain volumes of the manga are really damn expensive for anyone who wants the print copies. PSME is still my favorite OVA, but I can't really recommend it unless you're willing to be frustrated with an inconclusive ending or willing to shell out some dough for the manga. I absolutely love the manga, but damn are some of those OOP volumes expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:00 am Reply with quote
@willag
Sorry, I bought them as they came out. Actually I preordered them as they were solicited in Diamond's Previews. I hadn't realized that they had gotten expensive. However, if you can find them they are great.

I also have a couple of Five Star Stories art books and several posters.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Received Magi volume 2 and FMA (2003) season 2 in the mail. I'm collecting the manga as my favorite version of FMA (I figure I don't really need Brotherhood since it's pretty much a panel-for-panel adaptation and not quite as well-done anyway), but I still like the 2003 series and for some reason have gone for the longest time without owning the second half of it. Magi continues to be one of my favorite shounen action/adventure series. My Japanese class's volunteer sensei was surprised when I told her I had this book in both English and Japanese xD I told her it was because it's good practice, which is true, but I neglected to tell her that the main reason is that I'm a giant nerd.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
After arranging to sell my domestic editions I've added the Madoka Magica BD box to my Amazon JP December order. Finally, I will own those lovely singles with a newly illustrated box to house them in.
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 part 2
Planetes vol. 4 and 6

Didn't realize how much the prices for MSG had risen, but Rightstuf had one left in stock. And finished of Planetes while I was at it.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Via Amazon, just snagged:

Twilight of the Cockroaches
New Dominion Tank Police
(Sentai re-release)
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Twilight — interesting.
Is that VHS? (It's never been released on DVD, has it?)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Twilight — interesting.
Is that VHS? (It's never been released on DVD, has it?)

Streamline Pictures originally released it to VHS back when they existed. To my knowledge, the movie's never been released to DVD here in the states.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1081 of 1399