• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tiger & Bunny the Movie: The Beginning Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be honest. This movie underwhelmed me. Half of it was a recap of the first two episodes, and the rest seemed more like a standard filler episode. The antagonist had a cool power, but was devoid of the memorable traits Jake Martinez and Lunatic had.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
I just got this on BD. I haven't seen the TV series, so I'll probably enjoy this more than most. I guess on the downside, it will take a couple episodes before the TV series really gets going for me.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
Hmm, this sounds much better than I was expecting it to be. I'm always disappointed when a series I like gets a film series in lew of a proper sequel (Tiger & Bunny, Madoka, Bodacious Space Pirates). Recap films usually suck, but I guess the dynamic nature of the material works in its favor. I'd love to see more of Kotetsu and his wife and although there might not be any truly new scenes here, the review suggests that there is more focus given to it. This review actually changed my mind about the film. My only question is if there's any way to watch it besides buying the disc. Neon Alley...I'm not sure if their "catch up" service is truly on demand and it's *still* not available on the Roku (yet). Wonder if they'll put this movie on Hulu...
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
No, there are truly new scenes; it isn't just recap slanted to emphasize certain points more. Of the nearly 90 minutes of animation, close to 50 of it is entirely new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Are there any new scenes of Kotetsu and his wife, though? How long they were together and when and how she died were all left as a big question mark in the show, so I was wondering if the movie covered that at all.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I finally got to watch my copy today and I really enjoyed it. Even though part of it was just a recap of the first two episodes it added new little tidbits to make it more entertaining for those who have already watched the series like Tiger's attempts to get dressed in his car or the explanation of Rock Bison's power. When the show first aired my family was joking around that he had the power of two men since they never outright said what his power was. I loved the extra screen time Rock Bison received in general.spoiler[ I always felt the show kind of jilted him and Fire Emblem since they never got their own personal episodes (whereas Blue Rose got two).] Mr. Baxter was entertaining with a fun super power and an interesting choice in clothes. I loved that he was rollerblading to escape. I also liked how the movie kept connecting Kotetsu's motives to be a hero and staying a hero to his late wife. However, the flashback scene and insert song were a little awkwardly done because they didn't really show why this emotional moment was necessary till the flashback was nearly over.

I think, overall, I pretty much agree with Theron's review except I'm not entirely on board with the dub. The dub has some really great voice actors (including Daran Norris! How awesome is that?) but I just don't really feel Wingert as Wild Tiger. It's probably one of those times where a person just gets attached to the original voice actor and it wouldn't matter who played the character in English because they wouldn't be the original. I don't like that I feel that way about this since I always enjoy seeing the little changes between the sub and dub and hearing new takes on the characters but just not this time for Tiger (and it's only Tiger). I just prefer how Hirata portrayed Tiger as an adorkable old guy versus Wingert's more straight forward (stiff and monotone), younger man approach. The movie just reminded me of it again.

EDIT:
@Agent355
There weren't really any new scenes that discussed anymore of what happened to his wife than what the show already did. They were mostly just memories of them getting married, having Kaede, and her encouraging him to be a hero. They used those memories to help emphasis her importance to Kotetsu, to why he still wears his wedding ring, and why he still is a hero despite everything. Also, in the ending credits there are some more scenes that are not in the movie or the series of him and her in their wedding garb. As to what happened to her, spoiler[I've always assumed she was sick and died from her illness since the last time Kotetsu saw her was in the hospital.]
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
I also liked how the movie kept connecting Kotetsu's motives to be a hero and staying a hero to his late wife. However, the flashback scene and insert song were a little awkwardly done because they didn't really show why this emotional moment was necessary till the flashback was nearly over.

EDIT:
@Agent355
There weren't really any new scenes that discussed anymore of what happened to his wife than what the show already did. They were mostly just memories of them getting married, having Kaede, and her encouraging him to be a hero. They used those memories to help emphasis her importance to Kotetsu, to why he still wears his wedding ring, and why he still is a hero despite everything. Also, in the ending credits there are some more scenes that are not in the movie or the series of him and her in their wedding garb. As to what happened to her, spoiler[I've always assumed she was sick and died from her illness since the last time Kotetsu saw her was in the hospital.]

That flashback was kind of weird for me too at first, but by the end of the scene it felt right. It ended up being the most memorable part of the move for me.

spoiler[Kotetsu told the other heroes that they lost his wife to illness five years ago in the episode where they found out he was a dad.]

I'm definitely looking forward to The Rising. If this 2/3 recap 1/3 episode 2.5 movie was handled this well then the second movie should be pretty good.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
I think, overall, I pretty much agree with Theron's review except I'm not entirely on board with the dub. The dub has some really great voice actors (including Daran Norris! How awesome is that?) but I just don't really feel Wingert as Wild Tiger. It's probably one of those times where a person just gets attached to the original voice actor and it wouldn't matter who played the character in English because they wouldn't be the original. I don't like that I feel that way about this since I always enjoy seeing the little changes between the sub and dub and hearing new takes on the characters but just not this time for Tiger (and it's only Tiger). I just prefer how Hirata portrayed Tiger as an adorkable old guy versus Wingert's more straight forward (stiff and monotone), younger man approach. The movie just reminded me of it again.

Boy, you heard something different there than I did if you call Wingert's performance "stiff and monotone." I thought he did an excellent job of getting the "lovable goof" attitude down right, although in a somewhat different way than the Hirata did. (And frankly, I was never that impressed with either of the original Japanese leads.)

But I can definitely appreciate the "getting attached to a performance" sentiment. Certain roles that I've heard done in English in other titles have hit the mark so well that I cannot tolerate their Japanese equivalents. (Inuyasha is one that immediately springs to mind.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I think the Japanese voice actors did a great job for Tiger & Bunny. Both Morita and Lowenthal both did a great job bringing Bunny's character to life. I think Hirata though really hit the part well for Tiger. Okay it sounds silly since it is animated but they made Wild Tiger to be a very animated person, lots of gestures, hand motions, just constantly moving. Wingert just didn't capture that in his voice unlike Hirata who was really expressive in the tone of his voice, noises, everything. To me Wingert just talked loud and then he talked louder when he was trying to be emotional. He had the generic hero voice almost like one of Spiderman's voice actors from the 90s and I guess if you watch Tiger and Bunny first in English that's what your expecting to hear since it is about heroes. I just really wasn't impressed with that choice to make Tiger sound so generic.

EDIT:
Forgot to note I love Richard Cox as Inuyasha too (my gateway drug to anime). I haven't watched much of it in its original Japanese to know how to feel about his Japanese counterpart though so I can't honestly say on that. I usually like both subs and dubs equally when I get to watch both so disliking Wingert is a first for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1