• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers Manga (and others) on Crunchyroll

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for tomorrow! We'll finally get to see an English release for Space Brothers! Is there any series anyone else is curious about on Crunchyroll?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:11 am Reply with quote
Id buy it were it in print. I enjoy the anime after all
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Checking it out on my iPad as soon as I get home from work. I'm pretty excited. Feedback on twitter is pretty positive so far.

Now if they will just add Princess Jellyfish asap.

Note: I vastly prefer print, but I'm pretty sure these were/are never going to be licensed here due to length, so I'm happy that I get to read them at all.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
aye i get that its too risky to commit to a series that is so large when in all likelihood it wont sell well but i couldn't bring myself to support digital manga because I don't want it to kill off printed manga.

I blame the fanbase, I've talked to so many people who claim to be fans yet wont part with a penny to buy an anime or manga, how much can you like something if you aren't willing to pay?
Altacia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably give this Manga a shot if it were a physical release.

Sad

Dumb Digital releases taking over.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like print, manga has become much more accessible for me with the increase of digital manga (although I am still bitter about what happened to JManga) I live in small town Saskatchewan. There's ONE bookstore that carries manga and it's one measly shelf with mostly the popular series (Black Bird, Black Butler, Pandora Hearts, Sailor Moon, Attack on Titan, etc.) The manga I actually want to read used to be difficult to obtain (going to the larger centers like Regina and Saskatoon or ordering a waiting 3 weeks to a month for it to arrive). I'm not saying I love digital (the whole "buy the license to read it" model still irks me) but it's a significant improvement over the lengths I used to have to go to just to read manga.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
As much as I like print, manga has become much more accessible for me with the increase of digital manga (although I am still bitter about what happened to JManga) I live in small town Saskatchewan. There's ONE bookstore that carries manga and it's one measly shelf with mostly the popular series (Black Bird, Black Butler, Pandora Hearts, Sailor Moon, Attack on Titan, etc.) The manga I actually want to read used to be difficult to obtain (going to the larger centers like Regina and Saskatoon or ordering a waiting 3 weeks to a month for it to arrive). I'm not saying I love digital (the whole "buy the license to read it" model still irks me) but it's a significant improvement over the lengths I used to have to go to just to read manga.

Aye im in a similar situation and I can see the appeal but to me the negatives outweigh the convenience.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

Aye im in a similar situation and I can see the appeal but to me the negatives outweigh the convenience.

What negatives? Do you have a Cruchyroll membership currently?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:17 am Reply with quote
Personal Negatives of buying into digital manga:

You own nothing, you buy permission to look at the manga online, you spend money without obtaining anything of value.

You cant display digital manga and although its a shallow complaint its a deal breaker for me.

Its open to outside interference. I don't like the idea of my book collections ongoing existence being subject to the state of an industry that restricts a lot of its content due to low sales.

Its reliant on technology. A book is a book and is usable as long as you can read but digital requires a tool to use and if you want it to be portable you either have to read it on your phones little screen or get a tablet PC and hope that you aren't forced by the likes of apple to have to get a new one after a few years because they cut you off from software updates and make it harder to get current content you pay for.

Im not saying there's no benefit to digital, its less space intensive and you can argue its cheaper but as i say to me the negatives outweigh the positives

and no i don't have a crunchyroll membership because i don't even really know what it is, seems a bit like netflix or something.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is in fact exactly like Netflix. (Or maybe a bit closer to Hulu since they offer new material as it comes out.) But its exclusively for anime.

My point is, people use Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll even though they don't get to own the movies and TV shows they watch via the service.

The Crunchyroll manga service is the same deal. You don't own it, you just have access for as long as you subscribe. It doesn't pretend to be an ownership model.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
nope and its why i don't see it as a substitute for ownership. its good for checking something out or casually taking stuff in but if i like a manga i want to buy it and add it to the collection to take out and read agin whenever and not have to worry about what service is still going or if the rights have lapsed or changed hands.

As far as anime goes i cold dig something like crunchyroll because I used to have a large anime DVD collection but DVD's kinda have the snags that digital has and i wound up selling much of em in order to get the manga versions of the series.

Basically im a pedantic arse who wants things on certain terms and doesnt like to budge, hell it took a good few years for me to get over the zoro/zolo thing in the one piece manga and carry on buying that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1