• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Super Plastic - A Brief History of Transforming Robots

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:42 am Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
That was a fascinating article. I never would have guessed that Transformers actually were descended (after a fashion) from GI Joe. Makes all those "Joe vs. Transformers" comics stories shine in a new light Razz.

Thanks also for the advice you gave Jadress. I'm glad to hear someone say to collect anime toys for enjoyment, not value. 'Cos, that's what really matters, innit? If you wanted to make a mint with an investment, buy stock. If you just want someting fun to enjoy, buy a Valk.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
Just to add a little bit to that Transformers bit, here's an interesting article on the origin of the name Optimus Prime and some other behind the scenes details of the origin of the mechanical species.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/10/12/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-72/

Denny O'Neil, the creator of Ra's Al Ghul and the Batman author who brought back a serious Batman, named the world famous Optimus Prime. He also worked on some of the back story. Plus, check out that awesome Bill Sienkiewicz cover.
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Just to add a little bit to that Transformers bit, here's an interesting article on the origin of the name Optimus Prime and some other behind the scenes details of the origin of the mechanical species.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/10/12/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-72/

Denny O'Neil, the creator of Ra's Al Ghul and the Batman author who brought back a serious Batman, named the world famous Optimus Prime. He also worked on some of the back story. Plus, check out that awesome Bill Sienkiewicz cover.

Actually, given that a year or two earlier, Larry Hama basically created the GI Joe team out of whole cloth for Marvel and Hasbro, that's not at all surprising. Cool to find that I've got Smilin' Stan Lee ultimately to thank for most of my more cherished childhood nostalgia moments. Smile
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. How awesome is Larry Hama? Ok, we can ignore that short stint on Batman in the 00s. Still awesome.

Also, on an unrelated note of Larry Hama awesomeness, check out this story from Chris Priest on race relations in the Marvel office. (Hama being Japanese American and Priest and others being African American.)
http://www.digital-priest.com/comics/adventures/frames/chips2.htm
(You can scroll down to ' 3. enter the dragon'.)
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Go Mainframe Entertainment! Beast Wars was a great series. I have seen the opening and ending of it in Japanese and boy, I couldn't stop laughing the first time, especially the opening. The english version is instrumental and fits the animation perfectly. The japanese version is this disco like song going "War war da da da DA stop it!". I have to admit, the song it catchy. Laughed how in true Japanese fashion, when the opening theme finished, all the maximals were posing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1