• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Channel Adds CPM Titles, New Live-Action Show

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Some pretty good acquisitions by FUNi here. That movie block has potential, but I'll have to watch it first before I can judge it. Also, it looks like CPM's desperate to find ways to both generate revenue and advertise their aging catalogue; sad turn of events for them. I'm left with one question, though: what happened to the Right Stuf titles that FUNi acquired broadcast rights for? It's been around four months, and I still haven't heard (or rather, seen) a thing after the announcement. Granted, I don't watch the channel religiously, so it might well have slipped by me unnoticed back then. The whole thing's left me a little curious, that's all.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, FUNi sure is making moves with their network. It seems their doing more with their network than ADV is doing with the Anime Network.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Awsome, it's nice to see that they're getting Classic movies dubbed by U.S manga corp such as Project A-ko, I remember seeing that Anime on the Sci fi Channel.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I like the live-action show talking about anime and the like. I'd like to see them expand that to things about Japan and some Japanese comedy stuff like Downtown Gaki no Tsukai (though I would not want to see that dubbed).
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
Wow, FUNi sure is making moves with their network. It seems their doing more with their network than ADV is doing with the Anime Network.

And I'll second this. I was initially discouraged when, the family switched cable providers, only the FUNi Channel was available instead of both, it's fine with me. The posts I've read about how ADV seems to use their channel as an extended trailer network has pretty much eliminated any want I have to someday see it.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quote
So Funimation Channel is going to air Grave of the Fireflies? Does this mean Turner Classic Movies only bought the film for a single airing or does this mean the contract with TCM allows both channels to air it?
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:

I'm not going to get into the ADV/Funi aspect of things, but I'm with you in that Funi is definitely taking the idea of an anime channel and doing what all of us had wished for many years ago... that is, an animation channel that appeals to a broad audience by being inclusive to other companies.
TwistedMaelstrom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope they add some of that new stuff to ColoursTV.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see some more things on FuniChan, still I wonder where the release of Slayers is. I really want to pick up the boxset of Try, and while it's nice to watch it on TV Funi's programming can be a little weird sometimes, or at least the listing seems to take a month to be correct when they change things.

As for rightstuf,'s properties they've been airing KareKano (His and Her Circumstances) for quite some time.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
As for rightstuf,'s properties they've been airing KareKano (His and Her Circumstances) for quite some time.

Whoops, should've been a bit more specific Anime smile + sweatdrop. I've known that Kare Kano's been on the lineup for a while. It's just that I haven't seen anything indicating that Boogiepop Phantom, Shingu, and Ninja Nonsense were ever broadcast. The FUNi Channel homepage lists all three titles as broadcast acquisitions (although it hasn't been updated since late last year, and it fell through, then I'd really wish they'd take that announcement down).

SoloButterfly wrote:
...still I wonder where the release of Slayers is. I really want to pick up the boxset of Try...

Right Stuf has the first season set up for pre-order. Hopefully, FUNi will release the rest in an timely fashion.
10円

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Anybody have the good word on CPM? Are they down and out or is this a potential sign of an eventual recovery?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1