• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aurickandrien

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply!

hyojodoji wrote:
If you like Sketchbook, you may want to read light-hearted 4-koma manga such as GA and Kyōkan Astro. (Sorry if you have already read them.)

Well, I like Sketchbook because it's mellow sort of manga with some nice observational humour and it covers a mixed-bag of different interests...

I guess I am intrigued by the subject matter of GA, so I will give it look-see. I do like art.

S.S. Astro being from the teachers' perspectives is interesting, although it might be a bit too 'anime-ish' for my tastes? Judging from the Japanese teacher wearing a kimono to teach class and the obligatory girl-crush by the English/French teacher and such...

hyojodoji wrote:
Have you already read Kodoku no Gourmet (A Solitary Gourmet) by Taniguchi Jirō and Kusumi Masayuki?

Not yet. I thought that I'd check out all of Taniguchi's solo slice-of-life-work before moving onto his collaborations, which I guess I'll do now. Smile

hyojodoji wrote:
Have you already read Mametsubu hodono Chiisana Inu and Hoshi kara Ochita Chiisana Hito by Satō Satoru?

I have all of the rest of the Korobokkuru series on order at the moment, plus one or two other books by Sato. Smile
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
What manga would you suggest I should try. I love nonmainstream manga, shojo, horror, fantasy, supernatural, Slice of Life
I was given starter manga for my collection from friends and neighbors. I have:
Shaman King Volume 1,3,4
Death Note Volume 1-3
Yu-Gi-Oh! Volume 1-7
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist Volume 1
Ranma 1/2 Volume 1
Magic Knight Rayearth Omnibus
Juvenile Orion Volume 1-3
Bleach Volume 1

What ones on my list would you pursue considering I actually like them all but I also want other series and I only have a 3 tier shelf.
Manwha:
The Tarot Cafe volume 1-5
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Desertking22,
One thing that you should consider is the length of the series.

I read 7 or 8 volumes of Shaman King. I did enjoy it but still dropped it when I saw that it is over 30 volumes. If the length does not bother you then I suggest that you try it.

I really like Ranma 1/2 but Viz is going to release new unflipped volumes starting next year. So you might want to wait.

You have all of Magic Knight Rayearth in that omnibus edition.
The sequel, Magic Knight Rayearth II, is also just one omnibus volume.
I recommend both of them if you like that kind of fantasy.

I was enjoying Bleach but it is well over 50 volumes and I have not gotten past volume 9 yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
The length is a big key factor, I loved Shaman King as an anime...thats why my friend got me the manga. Bleach...ehh lol I loved Bleach...but 60 volumes come on. I don't want my WHOLE shelf to be Bleach.
yomanffgg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Recommend some comedy shoujo. It must be not oop. I already have Ouran club
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Ouran is my favourite shojo comedy but I do also really enjoy Love*Com. Definitely more a rom-com focus than Ouran but the two leads have great chemistry, plus I always like stories that don't end when the leads get together.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Oresama Teacher is awesome! It reminded me a lot of Ouran in its early days, actually. The only difference here is I have absolutely no clue which guy she's going to get with in the end. (If she gets with anyone at all. The series really doesn't focus on that.)

I'd also recommend Dengeki Daisy, though that starts out funny and slowly leans more to the action/drama side as it goes on (but still very good!).

I remember A Devil and Her Love Song being quite fun, though again I think there's some romance in there eventually.

Skip Beat! and Love* Com are two other great comedy shojo. Love*Com is finished and Skip Beat! is probably my favorite ongoing shojo title right now. I think some of the earlier single volumes of Skip Beat! are OOP, but they've started releasing omnibuses too now.

S.A (Special A) might be worth checking out, or her new series Voice Over! Seiyu Academy.

Oh, and Seiho Boys' High School was hilarious (and yep, despite the name it's shojo!).
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll go with NG Life. It's OOP, but not terribly hard to find (yet), so I'll still recommend it. It's a more uncommon romance shojo with a male lead first off, I do like male leads in my shojo, always something different. Anything, this involves the lead being a reincarnation of a Pompeii gladiator. His former (male) best friend is now a chick, and his former wife is now a guy (both of whom have no memories of their past lives). He'll meet other characters from both the past and present (with and without memories) and I really feel like the side characters add a lot to the story, so that was pretty awesome. It was one of the last series Tokyopop finished publishing (when I came back to the dorm with v9, I remember going online to brag I bought it, only to find out Tokyopop was going under)
yomanffgg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
Oresama Teacher, Skip Beat!, Voice Over! Seiyu Academy

Thanks, ordered these ones.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Well out of my manga collection I currently have, most of these were given to me:

Juvenile Orion: Aquarian Age Volume 1-3 (missing 4,5)
Shaman King Volume 1,3,4 (missing 2,5-32)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Volumes 1-7 (complete)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Volumes 1 (missing the rest)
Bleach Volumes 1, 58 (umm...missing 2-57....uuhh...why must I like it)
Death Note Volumes 1-7 (missing 8-12)
Magic Knight Rayearth
Ranma 1/2 Volume 1

If you count manhwa:
The Tarot Cafe Volumes 1-5 (missing 6,7)
Ragnarok Volume 1

The issue is I have a 3 tier shelf, and someone gave me 24 issues of Shonen Jump...so those use up a good amount of space. could put them on top I guess?
The genres I love are:
Horror
Fantasy
Shojo & Shonen & Yaoi
Slice of Life

Any suggestions....I might want to stick with short series though, and which of the ones do I have would you pursue?
In your honest opinion...can manga be enjoyable despite the fact that I'd be missing volumes?
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have any recommendations for raw/unlicensed manga? I've been browsing through honto.jp, but looking through a sea of stuff that I've never heard of is pretty tricky.
Generally I like horror, josei, seinen, yuri/yaoi and some shoujo manga. My favourite series are Parakiss (actually, anything Ai Yazawa), Saikano, Aku no Hana, Yotsubato!, and Life.
As for anime, I love Evangelion, pretty much everything I've seen from Kyoani, Watamote, and Higurashi, to name a few (that and I'm drawing a blank here)
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
drizzleRomanceGirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
I read a manga awhile ago but I forgot the name entirely and I would like to read it again. It's a very serious anime featuring a teenage/young man who lives in a city where everyone is protected from the outside threats. This boy is very naive at first, but a boy near his age ran from something and stumbled upon the city, climbing inside the main character's window. He loses consciousness and the boy takes care of him. The boy from outside the city is serious, cynical, and hates everything about the city. Later on, we find out that the man who stumbled upon the city was originally born in the city, but he escaped awhile ago. The two boys decide to abondon the city, but barely make it out safely because of the people controlling the city. I remember a scene where the main character's mom is sitting on a bench and talks to one of the neighbors, where she finds out about those people who control the city.

After the two boys make it outside of the city, they visit this boy who lives with himself in a two-story apartment. He takes care of some kittens and can't stand the other boy who also lives outside of the city. The boy from outside the city also doesn't trust anyone, including the boy who takes care of kittens and the main character. Thank you in advance! Please ask me if you need any additional details, and I'll try to remember more about the manga.

Last edited by drizzleRomanceGirl on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
Sounds very much like No. 6, but next time you have a question like this, use the stickied thread at the top of the forum called "General Questions/Identifying Manga"
drizzleRomanceGirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Sounds very much like No. 6, but next time you have a question like this, use the stickied thread at the top of the forum called "General Questions/Identifying Manga"

Yes, that's the manga I was looking for; thank you very much! Smile I'll be sure to use this thread in the future if I can't remember a manga title.
UnknownFactor-6

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
to ask for for Christmas.

currently reading
-No. 6
-Cage of Eden
-Btooom!
-1/2 Prince
-Aiki
-Medaka Box
-Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
-Pandora Hearts
-DN Angel
-Shaman King

finished a whole lot but here are a few that show the most of what i read
-Psyren
-Soul Eater
-Black Cat

I personally dont like Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto so not those please. <^~^>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 33