• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Thermae Romae DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
To me Thermae Romae was a lot of fun. There was a lot of great humour in how the guy took everything waaay too seriously and how he struggled to reconcile how mere "slaves" could know more about bathing than he did.

Yes it was repetitive. Yes its animation was practically non-existent. So what? It was six half-episodes of light funny entertainment and that's all it ever set out to be.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the anime, but it's my understanding that the tone is quite different from the manga it's based on. (maybe most people already knows this and I'm not saying anything new, but...) The manga still has gags and silliness aplenty, and there's no getting around the absurdity of the premise, but there is a hint of "gravity and intelligence" as well. Lucius' super-serious attitude toward his work and bathing, for instance—it's ridiculous and hilarious from the audience perspective, but as the series progressed I grew to really admire his work ethic, not just laugh at it. I hope any who were disappointed by this adaptation or wished for more substance will give the original a chance!
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I made the biggest mistake in many years by purchasing this pile of horse shit. It was about as funny as a case of clap.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I made the biggest mistake in many years by purchasing this pile of horse shit. It was about as funny as a case of clap.

While I prefer the manga version of Thermae Romae, I enjoyed the silliness of the anime (as it was broadcast and fansubbed) and ordered the DVD in the recently ended TRSI sale. I imported the subtitled live-action film on BD back in February. I rate it a bit above the anime, and I'm looking forward to the next one (while hoping that the mangaka managed to get more money out of the film-makers).

The level of animation/art in the anime is so low that I'm even setting aside my need for Blu-ray for this release. ;p
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
As someone who took way too many Latin and Classics courses in college to be considered healthy, I might splurge on this. Of course, the hardcover manga editions do look pretty.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Considering this flash anime was released here, does this give hope that someone will release an Inferno Cop Boxset with soundtrack over here Very Happy
Ian K

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I gave this an episode. I remember there being a couple good laughs, but also some annoying Japano-centrism. Not bad, but not compelling enough for me to get around to watching more.

Quote:
Dumb implies a brute deficit in intelligence. A dumb show is a crude simpleton. It doesn't know it's dumb; it just is. Stupid implies deliberation. A stupid show chooses to be stupid. (Or at least, it can.)

I find it really interesting that that is almost exactly opposite of how I would compare those words. For me, "stupid" implies an abject and insulting lack of intelligence, while "dumb" is a bit softer. "Dumb" to me means shallow but necessarily unthinkingly so. (You hear about things being "dumb fun" more than "stupid fun").

To put it another way, I'd consider Pacific Rim and Gurren Lagann a bit dumb, but Tron Legacy straight up stupid (albeit still very pretty).

It's kind of like "geek" vs. "nerd" - no one seems to be able to agree if one word has a more positive connotation vis-a-vis the other.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Ep2(?) was perfect to inflict on the anime club for Hot Springs Night Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
BonnKansan wrote:

You go Hot Springs Night?!
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:53 am Reply with quote
Not sure about the anime, but I can certainly vouch for the live-action movie. Hardly stopped laughing the whole time.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
I, for one, thought the entire premise and execution were pretty hilarious throughout. But then I look with favor on anime that are "Japano-centric" because I enjoy learning about foreign cultures. Anime studios unsurprisingly produce programming that largely appeals to Japanese audiences. Western exposure is at best an afterthought. I find that one of anime's greatest appeals.

Compared to the reviewer, I'd give Thermae Romae at least a B.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
BonnKansan wrote:

You go Hot Springs Night?!

It was a night with a theme of Hot Springs anime. No actual bathing involved Razz
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Not sure about the anime, but I can certainly vouch for the live-action movie. Hardly stopped laughing the whole time.

Agreed. I haven't read the manga* or seen the flash-anime, but I saw the movie on opening night and it was hilarious. I think it stumbled at times when it was trying to be more serious, mostly because the Japanese actors in Roman clothing sort of only works when you're being silly. Nonetheless, I'd really like to see the live action version get an English release.

*Well, I was there on opening night, so I have the special chapter written for the film, where Lucius arrives in the present on the set of the movie and interacts with Hiroshi Abe and it is so much fun.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps this is the one time that the live action version is better than the anime?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:

Agreed. I haven't read the manga* or seen the flash-anime, but I saw the movie on opening night and it was hilarious. I think it stumbled at times when it was trying to be more serious, mostly because the Japanese actors in Roman clothing sort of only works when you're being silly. Nonetheless, I'd really like to see the live action version get an English release.

Third on this. Haven't watched the anime or read the manga, but the Japanese teacher played the live-action movie in our class and no one could stop laughing. It was a lot more fun than I ever expected, and I've actually wanted to watch the anime ever since.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2