• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Outbreak Company episodes 1-6

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
The best comparison I've been able to come up with for OC is to compare it to Nadesico. Whereas Nadesico was a parody of mecha tropes, that still had its own, serious story, OC is that for otaku/moe tropes.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
I wasn't sure what to make of this series after the first couple eps, and I already found a bunch of anime to follow this season (Kyousogiga, Samurai Flamenco, Nagi no Asukara, Kill La Kill, Beyond the Boundary, Strike the Blood, Golden Time, Gallilei Donna, etc). But I really enjoyed the scene in which spoiler[Myucel tried to change Shinichi into his pajamas (maid duties and all that) and he *respectfully* explains to her why he feels its innapropriate and embarrassing. What a gentleman! (In anime otaku terms, whereas another character would sputter and protest whilst she undressed him, and would probably strip her of some of her clothes *by accident* in the process!) ] This show is extremely self aware, but tries to be classy about it, and I really respect that.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The content is surprisingly mild on the fan service, which is limited to an occasional breast size comment and a handful of other rather tame scenes, but that fits fine with the more high-minded approach the series takes and a seeming effort to appeal to a broader fan base.

All the signs, btw, point to the BD/DVD release have more eyecandy
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
What episode is that from, configspace? I don't remember that scene at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
The content is surprisingly mild on the fan service, which is limited to an occasional breast size comment and a handful of other rather tame scenes, but that fits fine with the more high-minded approach the series takes and a seeming effort to appeal to a broader fan base.

All the signs, btw, point to the BD/DVD release have more eyecandy

Can't seem to remember that scene at all, but it looks like a character from another Feel anime called Minami-ke.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
I checked the first episode of Outbreak Company, and I did not think it was stupid despite having otaku themes, but it did not captivated me to keep watching more. This review, however, has convinced me that I should probably go back to it and watch more episodes. You recommendation is appreciated Theron. Very Happy

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
What episode is that from, configspace? I don't remember that scene at all.

In episode 04, just before ~14:00, the fantasy images used to illustrate examples of censorship in his explanation when Shinichi starts " In otaku culture, illustrations are fundamentally held in high regard, ..."
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Outbreak Company is the pleasant surprise of the season. By all rights it should have been bad, but the execution makes it not only work but indeed work well. It's funny, charming, intelligent and well directed. Like most parodies the more you know about what is being poked fun at the more enjoyment you gain. However even without the parody side of things the show is still great fun and has a lot to say. Shinichi - smarter and more likeable than most Harem leads - actually deserves the affections of the girls around him. Even as the story makes us laugh with Otaku in-jokes the various themes like rejecting racism, not forcing your will on an unwilling populace and the power of education and kindness are always lurking in the background, ready to pop up and be relevant where necessary.
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the synopsis of this show, I thought it sounded really interesting, but I had zero expectations it would center it's actual execution on that premise. It sounds like this show is actually going to try to do that, so I'll definitely give this a shot, thanks.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
It's a surprisingly smart, and progressive show. One that surprisingly manages to lampoon otaku culture while embracing it.

Plus, the maid is just so freaking adorable, and yet doesn't feel like she was made to be adorable.
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the series so far, but it does occasionally get a bit too far into the territory of "here are lots of references, don't you like all these references?" Occasionally it will actually try to make a joke and a reference at the same time, but a lot of the time it's just making a reference for the sake of it.

Not really a negative, but it's also low-hanging fruit. There's a lot of the type "we tweaked the name of a show you know."
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Proving that even otaku cannibalistic self-reference can be worthwhile?
partially

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, although I have found the current batch of episodes fun, I cannot see how this will sustain itself.

Each time something serious comes in, it is mostly just joked into irrelevance. The artist spy for instance was just dumb. And otherwise the show is just otaku jokes. There has been very little said about the logistics of how any of this is happening. Not a great deal to be sure. But so far the show switches between like 3 locations and that is it. The show seems to be going for a changing society and the class system through use of anime culture angle. Yet beyond silly classes with a bunch of young fantasy children, very little is done on this.

I am wondering whether this is going to largely turn into something inconsequential where nothing happens like Sacred Blacksmith. I hope not, but at the moment the series needs a serious helping of direction. Which given the series is already halfway done, I think this is going to turn into yet another entertaining yet throw-away title.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Outbreak Company is the pleasant surprise of the season. By all rights it should have been bad, but the execution makes it not only work but indeed work

Yes, precisely for all intents and purposes it could easily be written off as another Otaku pandering show. However there is something about it, maybe even two things. For one, I am still watching it, so whatever it is doing, its doing it right. And two, I'm really hoping it pulls a real heart-tugger for the episode 10-12 climax; like something that catches us Otaku off our heals. If I may suggest (or hope for), is that for the climax they really try to incorporate past precedents of cultural assimilation. They've already hinted at this, such as not trying to enforce racial equality. But something even greater, and well executed, would be a real thriller for the climax.

Leebo wrote:
I've enjoyed the series so far, but it does occasionally get a bit too far into the territory of "here are lots of references, don't you like all these references?"

Yea I agree, that one episode ( I forget which one, 4 maybe?) where half of it was a battle between Galge games and Otome games, was a a bit uhh "foreign", since it is hard to come across such games in English. I did appreciate the topics they brought up, such as the specific words for "skirt length"; we don't have that kind of stuff in English.

angelmcazares wrote:
I checked the first episode of Outbreak Company, and I did not think it was stupid despite having otaku themes, but it did not captivated me to keep watching more. This review, however, has convinced me that I should probably go back to it and watch more episodes. You recommendation is appreciated Theron. Very Happy
I hope you give it another shot. It's one of my favorites this season.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I hope you give it another shot. It's one of my favorites this season.

I actually caught up to Outbreak Company today, and it indeed is a worthwhile watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4