• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Crunchyroll Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
so Jason's gone with the same ratings as in Manga: The Complete Guide huh? cool

Coppelion's placement here makes me wonder if it's any better than the anime version which isn't to my liking
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
What's their rate of releasing the backlog of volumes? Jason mentioned Space Brothers being complete, but what about others?

Quote:
Crunchyroll Manga has the advantage of being offered as part of Crunchyroll's overall anime/drama subscription service: you pay $6.95 per month for full anime, 'limited manga' and 'limited dramas', or $11.95 for full access without ads. You can also pay $4.95 per month for a manga-only membership.

It should be noted that you get discounts for the anime package if you prepay the year, at $60, so it's $5/month. I may wait until black friday to nab the entire full anime/drama/manga deal.

Quote:
(oh, and without nudity either, since it's still a shonen manga)

I haven't read Kimi no Iru Machi, but it's definitely something I'm interested in. However, I don't think this point about shounen = no nudity, holds true at all. If it's supposed to be some kind of nominal "rule", then it's one that's flagrantly broken so often enough not be a rule at all. (The OVA and TV anime of this certainly had nudity btw)

Last edited by configspace on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Space Brothers still only has the first 11 volumes, and the latest 3 chapters. There is a bunch of back volumes that they still need to add so yeah, Space Brothers is not complete yet.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
What's their rate of releasing the backlog of volumes? Jason mentioned Space Brothers being complete, but what about others?

I didn't check every single volume, but it seems like they're ALL complete, except for the print ones (Fairy Tail & Attack on Titan) and Kimi no Iru Machi.

Quote:
I haven't read Kimi no Iru Machi, but it's definitely something I'm interested in. However, I don't think this point about shounen = no nudity, holds true at all. If it's supposed to be some kind of nominal "rule", then it's one that's broken so often enough not be a rule at all. (The OVA and TV anime of this certainly had nudity btw)

Most of Kimi no Iru Machi isn't on Crunchyroll, so I don't know if it used to be explicit, but the current chapters don't have nudity (though they have the usual panty shots & closeups of bras and stuff). The 'no nudity' thing definitely isn't a strict rule, and it varies from magazine to magazine, but I think generally shonen titles in the mainstream magazines are getting more prudish compared to last generation's hits like Ranma 1/2 and Video Girl Ai in the '80s and '90s. The only Crunchyroll Manga title that has actual nudity is a moment or two in Mysterious Girlfriend X.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Actually, Space Brothers still only has the first 11 volumes, and the latest 3 chapters. There is a bunch of back volumes that they still need to add so yeah, Space Brothers is not complete yet.

Ah thanks. So they're working from the first chapter forwards, and the current backwards then for all these titles I take it. It also sounds like a pretty good pace

ptolemy18 wrote:
Most of Kimi no Iru Machi isn't on Crunchyroll, so I don't know if it used to be explicit, but the current chapters don't have nudity (though they have the usual panty shots & closeups of bras and stuff). The 'no nudity' thing definitely isn't a strict rule, and it varies from magazine to magazine, but I think generally shonen titles in the mainstream magazines are getting more prudish compared to last generation's hits like Ranma 1/2 and Video Girl Ai in the '80s and '90s. The only Crunchyroll Manga title that has actual nudity is a moment or two in Mysterious Girlfriend X.

I guess it depends on your definition of "mainstream" mags, as the even same publisher nows puts out a variety of different shounen mags, perhaps to address this. If you cast your net wider--basically just about any other magazine beyond WSJ--you'll easily find no compunctions against any nudity. TLR-Darkness in Shueisha's own Jump Square for example. But even Kodansha's current shounen titles like Air Gear and Sankarea (nsfw)

Last edited by configspace on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
@configspace
Are you saying that the Premium Anime membership on a yearly basis also includes the manga automatically??
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@configspace
Are you saying that the Premium Anime membership on a yearly basis also includes the manga automatically??

I'm just going by the article's description:
Quote:
offered as part of Crunchyroll's overall anime/drama subscription service: you pay $6.95 per month for full anime, 'limited manga' and 'limited dramas',

I have the yearly anime premium but have not checked out the manga yet, so I don't know what 'limited' means. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

What I did mean by waiting for black friday is that CR gives discount for the whole all-included membership package that includes the 'unlimited' manga portion, so I may wait for that
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
OK, I tried it. Apparently a Premium anime membership gives you access to all the manga. I was able to read chapters with the little crown that are limited to subscribers. I bought a years membership in last Black Friday's deal.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Mysterious Girlfriend X is very kinky, in a way that most stories aren't. It's about two virgins - both in their first real relationship of any kind - who are on a mutual quest to discover their sexual fetishes and learn to support and please their partner. Though it doesn't have sex, it is definitely a story about physical intimacy and emotional honesty.

----------

I've heard many people describe A Town Where You Live as being "Rage, the Manga". Sort of put me off the Anime adaptation.

Jason wrote:
Jake Forbes, former Tokyopop editor and smart person

You mean that Jake is no longer smart?
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Jason wrote:
Jake Forbes, former Tokyopop editor and smart person

You mean that Jake is no longer smart?

Jake is ETERNALLY smart! -_-
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I've read the first chapters (or at least the first chapters that are made available) for all of them at this point. For the time being I'll be following Attack on Titan and the 9 series that actually start from the beginning (I'm not about to purchase and read 35 volumes of Fairy Tail I just don't have the attention span) My favorites right now are Space Brother and Coppelion although I found I enjoyed Fort of the Apocalypse more than I thought I would. Mysterious Girlfriend X is much better in manga form without the giant globs of spit and the nice artwork I was able to enjoy the series to some degree. You took the words right out of my mouth with Wagatsuma-san. It made me laugh so hard especially as time went on. As the Gods Will wasn't as good as I thought it'd be but it is something I'm curious about. I really hope Crunchyroll ads more variety to the magazine. They have mostly shonen at the moment. It would be nice to see some alternative manga, shojo, and josei as well.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
My Wife is Wagastumi-San sounds like Life with Archie with more humor. Can you believe Archie has multiple timelines and a decent soap opera comic that had one of the first gay marriages in American comics...will wonders never cease?

All the manga sound decent, and I just read Attack on Titan 51 and loved the presentation. Its easier to control and read than Shonen Jump, and the art is clear. I just don't feel like adding $5/Mo for my CR membership.

How on Earth can you download Shonen Jump to a computer (as opposed to a stupid, hard to read and control, touch screened, limited memory, damned tablet)?! I have a subscription, and I want my manga, dang it!
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's one other major difference between Jump and Crunchyroll, however; the Weekly Shonen Jump issues can be downloaded and stored permanently on your computer

Agent355 wrote:

How on Earth can you download Shonen Jump to a computer (as opposed to a stupid, hard to read and control, touch screened, limited memory, damned tablet)?! I have a subscription, and I want my manga, dang it!

I was just about to say, I don't think you can, at least on a computer. I presume you can on a tablet, but since I don't have one that runs their app, I can't be 100% sure.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
A new work by Ken? Yes please!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
It'd be nice if Crunchyroll could offer print-on-demand for titles that Kodansha USA won't publish themselves. I'd buy Mysterious Girlfriend X that way in a heartbeat, and would buy at least Minami-ke and, of course, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou print-on-demand should Crunchyroll get the rights to those Kodansha titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3