• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are the best anime soundtracks?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magmalord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
The Big O OST puts the BtAS OST a run for its money, while both do sounds similar I just love the orchestra in Big O a little more.

Akira is another good pick due to its very cultural sounding track as opposed to the generic J-Pop.
SuperVegetto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
Berserk's soundtrack quality-wise is in a different category from any music, of anything.
MrDandi97

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
All of the KEY anime soundtracks.Not only they are good to listen to but they also deliver feelings depending on the song.Clannad,Clannad:After Story and Angel Beats i think are the best.Death Note too but the Death Note soundtrack is better for describing the character or event it is affiliated to.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be generic and make the obligatory Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex mention. One of the very few examples of a collections of soundtracks with songs that are longer than two minutes that exhibit some respectable variance while at the same time feeling musically consistent (as in, you can listen to it casually like it's a standard album, cover-to-cover).

Problem I have with a lot of soundtracks is that they have these awesome dramatic numbers, but then they have all these casual, peaceful, slice-of-life tracks that suite the show itself, but break the mood when just listening to it otherwise.

That being said, Opus 1 and Opus 2, the Ergo Proxy soundtracks, keep a consistent dark ambient/darkwave feel about them and I find them amazing for it. The OP/ED are different, but aren't out of place. I listened to the former recently, and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
TheGrayGhost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Dunno if you and I have the same taste in music, but here it goes! The intro to Cowboy Bebop called Tank! is really good and so is Guns and Roses, the intro to Baccano. Now these are all Jazz and my personal favorites.

Two others that are worth mentioning are both of the intros to Durarara, which are really unique (for anime openers) songs. Baccano and Durarara were made by the same people.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I really like the FLCL OST done by " The Pillows". Their style really reminds me of the Band called "Pixies" and more specifically songs like "Where is my Mind". Its like this easy going rock that fits the show soo well. As some people stated, watching FLCL almost feels like one long music video to complement the background tracks
BTLshow.org

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if games count, but not too long ago during the days of Dreamcast, Shenmue had a pretty good soundtrack; specially Shenmue Orchestra Version album.

Another great Dreamcast game (that got ported to Gamecube) was Skies of Arcadia (think it was Eternal Arcadia in Japan), also had a really good soundtrack.

Don't mean to keep touting Dreamcast games, but the in-game soundtrack compilation for Jet Set Radio was awesome. Even better in Jet Set Radio Future, released for the Xbox (first gen). Both games and their respective albums were put together by Hideki Naganuma, who composes primarily for video games. I got both albums, from the original DC game and JSRF for Xbox; the second one is much better though.

I've owned all these albums for years and still listen to them.
pws_37

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I saw an interview with Danny Elfman where he said his music was best if the person watching the movie did not notice it. (Check the list of movies he wrote soundtracks for in Wikipedia. Truly impressive.) So I think there are some really good soundtracks where the music might be quite unnoticeable but in fact was really effective. Then again, I think of Looney Tunes where the music is really in your face. Heck, they even named the series after the music. I assume this topic is looking for more of the in your face effect.

I'll go with the soundtrack for Maria Holic (good OP's and ED's, too). I watched that show from a Looney Tunes perspective and I was impressed with how the music emphasized the narration of the main character. (The changes in animation style were effective, too.) I never took the characters or situations seriously which I think some people who disliked the show perhaps could not do, but I'll agree that it got sadistic at times. (Sort of like Looney Tunes?)
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
pws_37 wrote:
I saw an interview with Danny Elfman where he said his music was best if the person watching the movie did not notice it. (Check the list of movies he wrote soundtracks for in Wikipedia. Truly impressive.) So I think there are some really good soundtracks where the music might be quite unnoticeable but in fact was really effective. Then again, I think of Looney Tunes where the music is really in your face. Heck, they even named the series after the music. I assume this topic is looking for more of the in your face effect.

I'll go with the soundtrack for Maria Holic (good OP's and ED's, too). I watched that show from a Looney Tunes perspective and I was impressed with how the music emphasized the narration of the main character. (The changes in animation style were effective, too.) I never took the characters or situations seriously which I think some people who disliked the show perhaps could not do, but I'll agree that it got sadistic at times. (Sort of like Looney Tunes?)

I also found the music in Maria Holic did well to play up the quirkier aspects of the show, which are thick & fast, coming from Studio Shaft.

The music in Shaft's other zany school based show Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei plays a similar part.
ashleyco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The term "best" is very subjective, and it is all a matter of personal taste.
eight_car

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Ranking the top 4

1) Macross - Classic Anime from one of the first anim to ever use singing as a focal point

2) Macross Frontier - The best music in the Macross franchise since the original

3) AKB0048 - What can you say about this? This anime is based on the real life group AKB48 and the singing was done by members of AKB48

4) Angel Beats! - Moving songs and some different styles. Love the ballad sung by the lead singer
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4