• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Phoenix

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
This series was a bear to collect, and it's probably hopeless now. We badly need a reprint, preferably from a new publisher.

Wasn't Tezuka Pro kicking off an ambitious "digitally publish all the things" effort? Maybe that's what gets this back where people can see it.

A friend of mine found her library had all of Phoenix (and Buddha), and checked out the entire thing. I think she's just starting Karma this week.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
This series was a bear to collect, and it's probably hopeless now. We badly need a reprint, preferably from a new publisher

I've never read it, why's that? What wrong with Viz's release
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
invalidname wrote:
This series was a bear to collect, and it's probably hopeless now. We badly need a reprint, preferably from a new publisher

I've never read it, why's that? What wrong with Viz's release

Well, the fact that Viz has let Phoenix go out of print is a problem. Compare to Vertical keeping their Tezuka stuff widely available.

Also, look at Vertical's beautiful Buddha covers and tell me you wouldn't prefer the evocative Chip Kidd designs to Viz's uninspired stock art.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Well, the fact that Viz has let Phoenix go out of print is a problem.

I know that, Im asking why would it be a problem if Viz decided to Reprint it themselves?

Quote:
Also, look at Vertical's beautiful Buddha covers and tell me you wouldn't prefer the evocative Chip Kidd designs to Viz's uninspired stock art.

I do agree that cover art for graphic novels, Video Games, films, etc is an underappriciated art. But honestly, if the content inside is put together well, I could deal with it.

Regardless of whether Viz decides to reprint it themselves one day, or if someone else licenses it and reprints it, I'll be happy to pick it up. I regret not buying it when I had the chance.[/quote]
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the chances of Viz reprinting anything it's let its license lapse on is slight-to-zero.

The company doesn't have a good track record of bringing things back past its time. IF they say something about Phoenix during a con and make a commitment to a reprint, then you're good. If not, it's a done-issue for them. I doubt they'll say anything much if the matter's closed to them. The people who run Viz don't attend the cons for the most part.

Viz is known for Takahashi and Shonen Jump boys titles... Even then, I don't see plans to bring back Maisson Ikkoku or the Mermaid titles any time soon. Inu Yasha and Ranma were their big bread winners.

There tons of anime and manga that Viz let lapse... They just don't think they can make money off of these things. The manga is probably a harder sell than anime but they've still let a lot of anime lapse (Fatal Fury license, Video Girl Ai, Please Save My Earth, etc.) that's considered old or unsellable in the States (unfinished adaptation and release of Corrector Yui among at least 3-4 anime series they let lapse after poor sales by single volume sales by volume 3 or 4 of release).

The older manga doesn't sell that well in the US. It's usually up to companies and afficionados of creators to release this stuff in the US. I doubt Dark Horse would have released Astro Boy if there hadn't been fans in the editorial/publishing office there. Likewise for the Metropolis manga which is long out-of-print as is the anime feaure in the US.

Tezuka's unknown in the US... I like the guy's character designs and sense of humor but that's me. I think the character designs still have appeal and work unusually well even in today's anime.... just like Classic Disney character designs hold up in American animation. I'm an anomaly; there are very few people with my tastes and I've had to accept that. There is an unfortunate amongst younger comic collectors to focus only on the new. This is not just an American phenomenon.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I've wanted to read the manga, but I'm lazy and I just prefer the ease of anime. Luckily, most of the adaptations for Phoenix have been pretty good, with the only weaknesses being the relative strength of each story more so than what the directors bring. The only one I haven't seen is Kawajiri's Space chapter OVA.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I've wanted to read the manga, but I'm lazy and I just prefer the ease of anime. Luckily, most of the adaptations for Phoenix have been pretty good, with the only weaknesses being the relative strength of each story more so than what the directors bring. The only one I haven't seen is Kawajiri's Space chapter OVA.

On that note, it was actually the 2004 TV series that sparked my own interest in Phoenix. So much so that I eventually ended up buying the whole manga for a relatively high but not too irrational price tag. With that in mind, even though the TV show did have to cut some corners and change certain details for the sake of making a concise adaptation, I thought most of the episodes were still true to the spirit of their respective stories.

Truth be told, I haven't even finished reading every single volume of the manga yet. But considering almost every story is effectively standalone and Tezuka wrote Phoenix over a couple of decades, I suppose that's not exactly much of a problem. I don't want to rush.
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Well, the fact that Viz has let Phoenix go out of print is a problem. Compare to Vertical keeping their Tezuka stuff widely available.

I wouldn't say Vertical is keeping them around as much as it is the titles just not selling very well besides Black Jack (which is somewhat out of print now)...
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
@ walw6pK4Alo
You haven't seen the Space ova yet? That was possibly my favorite Phoenix adaptation!

I've seen pretty much all the Phoenix stuff, and read it too. I must say, not a fan of Karma and Resurrection's adaptations (not in small part because those are my two favorite chapters), and I think Space and Strange Beings are the best.
I also have total hatred for the Nostalgia chapter. Obviously my least favorite Phoenix chapter, but also some of my least favorite Tezuka overall, I think I only disliked Lost World more.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Me: Oh wow, this looks really interesting! How much for a copy?

Amazon: Over $60 USED

Barnes and Noble: Same, but volume 2 for only $3? Say whaaaa?

AbeBooks: Over $80

Manga Takeout: Not available! I didn't wanna pay $25.95 for you anyways...

And I thought Monster was hard to get...
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I just hope the Phoenix manga is better than the awful Phoenix 2772 movie that Tezuka did the screenplay for. Ugh. I almost never drop movies, but I had to drop that one it was so bad.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
^How could I forget 2772? Yeah, I had to drop that movie too, its sheer terriblness was starting to implode my mind. Most Tezuka movies seem to e pretty good, but uuuugh, no one license this! NO ONE! Leave it alone! That probably means you, AnimeSols, don't get it!
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
Viz is reprinting some of their older titles where the license probably lapsed. Starting next year they are doing 2-volume omnibuses of both Monster and Ranma 1/2.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
A publisher in Spain put in out in a Deluxe edition so I still have hope of having it in a language I can understand. a U.S. edition seems hard considering how old school manga rarely is sucessful lately Sad
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote
Best manga ever there is nothing that can compare to this only thing being of course that it isn't finished so that's a major negative.

This is the one thing you should just get even if you can only get it second hand.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2