• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arpeggio of Blue Steel (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
I didn't think I'd watch this show beyond 1-2 eps, but it started to grow on me a little...until the Hyuuga humpfest. Rolling Eyes
Maybe they were trying a little too hard to be funny.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Okay, what did I just watch there? When did this turn into a comedy series?

And is it just me or did the character artistry seem to be slightly different in this episode?

Yeah, that was kind of over the top for me, changing one of the things I have liked about this series. Don't like where this is headed now.

And I thought it was just me too, so I guess we were seeing the same thing. Smile
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote
Ever since they turned serious matter into lollies I expected this.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
all them innuendos, must get mind out of gutter. fantastic breather episode, and I really like Hyuuga. her intentionally altered memories are hilarious
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Lol Kirishima got swept away by the waves. That was an interesting meeting. Too bad it didn't go Gunzou's way. Although I still feel they are going to end up being on the same side when the actual enemies show up.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

LOL, Kirishima....oh God, she needs a bear hug.

I got a feeling that the upcoming battle is going to be Blue Steel's toughest one yet because of spoiler[Kongou but also the fact that Maya is on her side. On another note, I did spot Kongou take a bit from that food so maybe she at least tried to embrace a little of the human side? Too bad she didn't go with it in the end, at least in this episode anyways.]

I'm actually hoping for Kirishima to get her body back soon though. I wonder if there is a way...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
It is amusing that pretty much the cast says "the Captain is just going to be having aimless dialogue" and that it some ways describes the majority of the episode, but it is still enjoyable in its own way.
Considering the last 2 episodes were "non action episodes" the next one might be the most over the top action episode yet.

spoiler[I would like to think that Gunzou has the foresight that "once the Fog is gone, humanity is likely to turn the new weapons against one another" then again that might be looking to deep into the series that even admits "we just have hot chicks for the avatars... well just because" ]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
That they're all girls because ships are usually referred to as feminine objects, sound enough logic for me.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Interesting episode where Gunzo tries to parley with Kongou.

While Ars Nova has gone off with an original storyline, there are some difference in what was explain in the episode.

* spoiler[The speech about why all Mental Models are female was actually between Kyōhei and Iona while they were docked at Yokosuka. Unlike the anime, there was an extra funny scene where Kyōhei ask Iona couldn't Fog just make male Mental Models before his female crew members including Maruri shut him up.]
* spoiler[The goal of the Fleet of Fog and the Admiralty Code is very different in the manga. The Fog's goal is to find the Admiralty Code which disappeared before the Fleet awoke. The Fog's current goal is to maintain the blockade which was the last instructions the Admiralty Code gave them and find it.....or should i say find "her".]
* spoiler[Mental models were actually made by orders of Yamato, the Supreme Commander of the Fleet of Fog, who order the fleet to have Mental Models to overcome their weakness of not having creative thinking and strategy which humans have.]
* spoiler[In the anime Kongou claims Iona or Gunzou as the reason for some of the Mental Models erratic, independent behavior. It's actually due to the mental models having their own personalities that all mental models act the way they are including executing their goals by their own interpretations. Also Hyuuga, who was the former Flagship of the 2nd fleet, was responsible for Takao, Haruna, Kirishima and Maya's personalities due to her eccentricity and the fact all four where under her command. This has lead Hiei, the 2nd in command of 2nd Fleet, to despise Hyuuga which she blames her eccentric behavior for influencing the others (Takao being a love struck teen, Haruna's quiet knowledge seeking, Kirishima hot headed pride and Maya's childishness.) while Hiei prefers Order and dutiful behavior to the point that she and her personal fleet dress up as Student Council.]

And finally, Crunchyroll should get better translators. Cow Meat? Really? Was beef a hard word to say?
Also the classes of ships were wrong.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

And finally, Crunchyroll should get better translators. Cow Meat? Really? Was beef a hard word to say?

It makes sense that a computer AI would not understand the complete nuances of human language and call something "Cow Meat" instead of specifically beef.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

I like the explanation of why they are all female, it makes a lot of sense compared to what I expected of just being something of a trope of personifications. I guess I find each mental model relatively interesting now.

Can't get enough of Haruna's "shazam" (or whatever it is). I also liked one bit near the end of the episode where it zoomed in from far away onto Kongou, it looked really cool.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9, Great battle, good banter.
spoiler[It seems that the active use of Mental Model in of itself is the "error" that is occurring within the Fleet of Fog which enables the ships to both be more efficient weapons at the "cost" of no longer being complete automated tools.
Gunzou's presence is simply circumstantial coincidence and is being given more credit than his efforts would give him due.

The best part of the episode is the cliff hanger closing, it was hinted at that Iona's "Sisters" were already independently looking for her so for that segment to come full circle is welcome in its execution.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear, that ending....

But in regards to the talk about humanity, I doubt spoiler[Kongou will understand it unless she experiences it personally. It's nice to see Takao finally join Blue Steel though as an official member. Yay.]

As regarding Hyuuga, I underestimated her. She can definitely pull out a few tricks out of her hat! The spoiler[power of love] is strong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I actually felt sorry for Kongou this episode. What she needs is a big hug.

What was Maya doing? She was there fighting Takao, then she wasn't, and never showed up again.

That cliffhanger . . . how could those lolis do that against their own sister? It's enough to make a grown man weep. *sniffle*
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Gunzou's presence is simply circumstantial coincidence and is being given more credit than his efforts would give him due.

Isn't that pretty standard for any harem center? Just because his harem is all battleships... In fact he's really pretty unique in that he has somewhat recruited his harem instead of just helplessly accumulating it. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10