• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
You can't forget G Gundam. Nagi, that one was pretty swell also Cool .

BTW, Nagi. All I ever see you do is mod this thread and stating your personal opinions about the top 10s of others. Mind posting your top 10?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
BlooDrAgOn wrote:
BTW, Nagi. All I ever see you do is mod this thread and stating your personal opinions about the top 10s of others. Mind posting your top 10?

I've made numerous attempts, all of which end up in long, winding diatribes. Eventually I'll come up with one that doesn't end up 25 entries long or five paragraphs per show. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fujiwara

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
I posted in this thread back in march, but I think I listed with only a couple words explaining why. The post was promptly deleted and I only just figured out five minutes ago what happened when I read the ubiquitous "Teh Rules". Anyway, my hopefully up to scratch tops and bottoms:

Ghost in the Shell: I love the entire GitS franchise, whether it's the manga, movies, or tv series. Even though most of the attention is focused on Motoko, Togusa and Batou, they manage to dedicate episodes to the other emebers of section 9, giving a nice alrounded effect. Really makes you think as well, which you don't often find in action anime these days. Chief Aramaki, despite not having an special episodes to himself, also showed up quite frequently, as he is the chief, and he does some in the field work himself
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The action is more frequent than Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (which is the only thing I didn't like about it) but has just as much thought put into it. It's fascinating watching it, and picking up on all the religious imagery. Has a fantastic plot as well, with prime character relations. It's also hilarious watching Asuka flirt with an embarrassed Shinji.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Good amounts of "controlled" action (not like DBZ where they just go around blowing up stuff) excellent plot and fascinating characters.I found the Homunculi to be some of the most interesting characters of all, with their past lives and quest for a soul. I grew quite fond of Lust in the end, and was saddened to see Gluttony turned into a mindless freak.
Inuyasha: Although production has ceased midaway through the plot, it's almost better that way. The manga is really, really starting to drag on. It seems to follow a pattern of a battle followed by an upgrade. Still, I really enjoyed the series. It was fun watching Inuyasha and Kagome interact. I just wonder how long till they beat Naraku. Inuyasha would make an epic poem, that would take like a week to recite.

Gundam Wing: Excellent characters, from what I can remember. I last saw this show when I was like, 8. But still, I remember liking it. I wish there was more interaction with the five pilots together. I'm a sucker for sentei.
Pokemon: A nice show, for the first season. I liked the nice little contained universe, with only 150 Pokemon. It's a classic now, but I really only liked the first season, and the second as well I suppose.

Digimon: Loved season 1 for the same reason as Pokemon. Nice contained universe, great characters and I really liked Angemon and TK. I only really liked season two because it had the same characters. I prefer the straight up order of evolution, rather than all the branches we get in the latest series.
Cardcaptor Sakura: I can't really remember why anymore, but I really liked it for some reason. Maybe it was the characters. I admit, I judge an anime almost entirely on characters and how they interacted with each other.

DN Angel: Again with the characters! I loved the way Daisuke loved Risa, and Dark loved Riku, but Riku loved Daisuke and Risa loved Dark. But then things swapped around in the end of the series.
Akira: I've got a soft spot for cyberpunk. Plus, Tetsuo started out as Kaneda's friend, but then turned into his enemy.

And now the bottoms:

Dragonball Z/GT: Too much senseless action. It seems by the end, Goku is powerful engough to be capable of destroying stars.
Yu-gi-oh: Way, way, way too much talking about the "heart of the cards". A single duel that lasts about five turns, suddenly goes for about 3 episodes due to Yugi's massive monologue.

Gundam SEED: Overly melodramatic. All the kids are a bunch of teen drama queens. Someone told me to avoid Destiny for that very reason.
Quote:
The episode where spoiler[Kira sleeps with Flay, and then punches that Sai guy, followed up by some rant about how no-one understands how he feels,] was just so pointless. It showed us that Kira is suffering some mental strain, but the drama was poorly instituted. Things don't get better when Sai's pride falls, and he starts crying when he can't pilot the Strike. Who honestly has that large an ego?
[EDIT: Fixed spoiler tags -- unfortunately, they don't work right if you just copy-and-paste them from another post; they have to be manually edited. ~Zalis]
MAR: Seems overly childish. Any way, the main character, despite being weak and puny in our world, is strong and fast in the world of MAR due to it's lower gravity-which is absolute crap. They're just trying to buff him up, but can't even think of a good reason to do so.

To avoid confusion with the quote below, I did post a comment about the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya. Truth be told, I couldn't think of a 5th anime I hated (which is a good thing, I think) to include in my list. So I just picked Haruhi for no real reason apart from the fact I found the plot to be a bit silly, and that the main character was a bit annoying. Besides, it's certainly a hot topic at the moment.

Last edited by fujiwara on Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quote
fujiwara wrote:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya: Did not really find the plot to be that engaging. Main character also annoyed the hell out of me. Although only 16 episodes long, I found the ordering wierd. We reached a climax in episode 6

1. It's 14 episodes.

2. I'm assuming you didn't watch it in the correct broadcast order? The broadcast order had "episode 6" as the very last episode, and the overall series, when seen that way, had a logical buildup and climax at the end.
Peppy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Last time I posted in here I forgot to explain why I liked the anime [I think my post got deleted i'm not sure though]

favorite anime

1.Trinity Blood: I have have a lot of reasons why I like this series. It has great art, A great story [and an awesome plot], and awesome character designs [I like the style they are drawn in to]. My favorite episode would probably have to be episode 23 are 24. I think the series got better as it reached the end of it for some reason. And I also like this series because it's funny, and I like the genre horror. I easily got addicted to this show [I got addicted the first time I saw the show]. So really I just think this show is plain out awsome!

2. Blood+: Once again I like the horror genre. It also has a very interesting plot. I've only seen 6 episodes though. But I quickly got addicted to the show. I also like the fightning scenes of this show. And I like drama [sometimes]. My favorite episode is episode 6 [once again to me it gets better as it gets closer to the end].

3. Bobobo-Bobo-bobo: Bobobo-Bobo-bobo is probably the most funniest show I have ever seen. Even though it has a strange plot. I still like it. I also like it because of how random it is. The first season of the show is a lot funnier then the second season. I don't really have a favorite episode I like all the episodes.

4.Bleach: I like the fight scenes and the plot of the show. And it's funny sometimes. It has a great story so far. I don't really have a favorite episode. I like the style that the characters are drawn in. They always seem to end the episode in a way that makes me want to watch the next episode

least favorite
One piece: I liked the beginning episodes,but then this series just got boring once they got into the desert [Would that be a spoiler?]. It's not really funny any more either. It doesn't have good fighting scenes, and I'm not to fond of the style the characters are drawn in.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Peppy wrote:
Last time I posted in here I forgot to explain why I liked the anime [I think my post got deleted i'm not sure though]

It did, but thanks for reposting with added detail Smile.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Treetastic wrote:
3) Gundam Seed Destiny. Fight, fight, fight. Look, one of them fell over. Now someone is screaming... there's a bishonen being angsty. Now they're talking. Okay, that's over, now more robot battles... this has put me off the entire Gundam franchise.

It's unfair to judge a franchise spanning nearly thirty years of material solely on what is almost unanimously considered by both fans and casual observers to be its single worst title. I highly implore you to try one of its more critically-acclaimed entries—like Zeta Gundam, or 08th MS Team, or Turn-A Gundam, or the original Mobile Suit Gundam—before passing such sweeping judgments.

If you still don't like it after that, then Gundam's simply not your thing, no harm, no foul. But at least see it at its best before casting it aside based on its very worst.

I don't hate the rest of the Gundam series, if I came across that way. It's just... you know how sometimes you watch a good movie that has a terrible sequel? The terrible sequel kind of lessens the good memories of the first movie, even though you still like it. That's kind of how it was for me with Gundam Seed, even though it's not exactly a sequel. But yes, it was a rather sweeping statement, I'm sorry about that.
IDK

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Here is my list of favorites and non favorites of anime

1)Bleach

The fighting is awesome and since im a huge fan of action gotta love it especially dead samurai people!Plus the drop dead laughing

2)Vandread

It was my first anime i watched and i saw this show over 20times thats how much i loved it need another reason?

3)Meloncholy of haruhi suzumiya

The best anime of all time when it comes to comedy i almost busted a gut from this show.

4)Death Note

Its pretty good for its story but the only reason its not my favorite show is because it can be repetitive with the main character and L constantly fighting with their minds and the splashes of humor here and there r good time to time

5)Gintama

Good show but totally unexpected from what i wanted to see the humour is above average but it needs more fighting.

6) Ouran high school host club

Another funny anime especially haoru and kaoru i think that was their name

7)naruto shippuden

The fighting is starting to pick up way better then naruto such a lettdown anime had so much potential

8)Chrono crusade

[I don't know how to use spoiler tags in a way that people who haven't seen Chrono Crusade don't read my post and have the ending ruined for them. spoiler[like this]]

9) fate stay night

again i love fighting people super awesome

here are my 5 least favorite

1)Pokemon

I think it was trying to be a popular anime but it crashed after 250 pokemon lol.

2)yu-gi-oh

jesus christ everything was solved by dueling you gotta be kidding right? plus the hairdo's werer pretty wacked out

3)yu-gi-oh gx

Same reason as sed yu-gi-oh but the hairdo's did calm down

4)naruto

this is my least hated for a few reasons

the humur was average and the fighting was good but all those worthless episodes afterwards was what probably killed the anime and the movies weren't really helping it's ratings.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I base my favorites on the idea that a male lead should have a spine. I don't want them to be necessarily bad-@$$, btw. And I also like the idea that good stories can be told (which is pretty rare nowadays, IMMHO).

My Top Ten:

01) 3x3 Eyes: I liked Yuzo Takada's work with the Chinese occult in this series.

02) El Hazard: It's basically a watered-down version of most of Tenchi Muyo's good parts; the tons of girls, the male lead who's smart instead of spineless (and he made a pretty good crossdresser)... The stories end up becoming sappy with its love-love theme at times. But it's an interesting watch.

03) Busou Renkin: Because I missed the bus on Rurouni Kenshin. I expected nothing less from one of the manga creation veterans.

04) Chrono Crusade: Gun wielding church-goers, devils, and the "Roaring '20s." I'm glad that this ride didn't take a really bad turn when it had the opportunity.

05) E's Otherwise: There had been complaints about how bad the animation had become. But it's still a pretty good story to experience. Especially one about ESPers. Razz

06) Geobreeders: I saw Black Lagoon and had been reminded with just how awesome Geobreeders was. I mean, sure the show (and manga) had a constant whiner. But atleast he picked up a weapon and fought. It also helps that the girls (insane as they are) like him.

07) Happy Lesson: I didn't like the violence masquerading as "slapstick comedy." But the idea of five foster moms taking care of a young man was a pretty good one. (Where's the rest of the manga, ADV?!)

08) Magister Negi Magi: Ken Akamatsu had cut down on his closet masochism, which had me forgive him when he came up with this. It was unfortunate when the anime series had gained some controversy (the 1st having crappy art, the 2nd being a collection of fanservicy cliched themes). I wonder if there will be a third anime; one where it follows the "festival / fights" and includes Kotarou.

09) Mobile Suit Victory Gundam: Probably one of the best Gundam series Yoshiyuki Tomino doesn't want you to watch. Will Bandai upholds its "Not If But When" policy after the failure that was GSD?

10) Shrine of the Morning Mist: It's one of those shows that doesn't go overboard with the potpourri of themes. A pretty good mixture of school-theme, shrine maiden, cat-woman, occult, comedy, and dating sim, and boys' love(?).

Now for the bottom:

01) Neon Genesis Evangelion: The depressing theme of the supposedly giant-robot vs unknown entity series, spoiler[the male lead masturbating to the comatose female lead during the movie's beginning,] Hideaki Anno's (and ultimately Gainax's) natural ability to tick off the otaku-tachi with their anti-otaku views. Gainax's only saving grace is its open-minded animation department.

02) Gundam Seed Destiny: "Don't let the otaku, who do nothing but watch anime for their whole life, go behind the wheel of creating anime." That's what Tomino said. GSD is what happens when otaku do anime, especially a major franchise.

03) Ranma 1/2: Now let me get this straight. The male lead is a martial artist, but he's unable to defend himself against a girl who gets ticked off to easily. Yeah, yeah. Sure. Fine. We'll call. NEXT!!

04) Any anime/manga series that features a female lead smacking up a male lead very hard: 'Nuff said.[
Argose83

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering what everyones favorite Ecchi (not full blow hentai) was ? so far my favorite was girls bravo but i cant find too much more anyone have some favs?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Argose83 wrote:
I was wondering what everyones favorite Ecchi (not full blow hentai) was ? so far my favorite was girls bravo but i can't find too much more anyone have some favs?

Mind explaining why you liked that show before asking about other people? In fact, why not make a separate thread for ecchi anime and go into greater detail? This thread is more for top overall favorites, and breaking it down into separate genres would get tedious, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
In fact, why not make a separate thread for ecchi anime and go into greater detail?

I don't think it's his fault, as he has made a seperate thread (although also a bit lacking, but that's another issue) and someone (incorrectly, IMO) pointed him to this thread.
Sarge-David

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Meh cant really get a good top 10 fav anime's, and wont do it in order...
its probably a big top 25 favorites list (since i've seen over a 100)
But anyway here is pretty much what goes into my fav's

GundamWing - I just loved how cool the main character was, and how it went...

Digimon 1+2 - Everything after Season 2 was just using the name Digimon with barely nothing holding it to the old ways.......just like powerrangers....for little kids spin offed to ruin

Monster Rancer - Oh yea...just remembered....this was before digimon right? it was fun and cool when i was little...also it was with MedaBots and all them other things lol

And oh i cant deside....to many anime's i've seen and i got a bad memory now

Anime's i didn't or dont like is

Gundam Seed
- missed to much to follow plot and didn't stick with it so lost faith in it
DragonBall Z
-After the umpth season i got tired of it, PowerRanger thing happened there too
Pokemon
-How many of them things running around now? and why is ash a girl now?

i remember there was some anime that focus'ed to much into that male.....how to put this?......Look Boobies!!!
kinda thing.....didn't even interest me...you know what i'm saying?
Argose83

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
yeah i was told to post here =/
taeko-san

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quote
My favs as they stand right now. This is gonna be quite long, so please bear with me. Wink

I agree with some other posters with the distinction between "favourite" and "best". I deliberately does not place Grave of the Fireflies or Now and Then, Here and There on this list, although I rank them at the top as anime goes. But they are hard to watch, because of the strong emotional content.

FOUR FILMS

Only Yesterday

A loveable story around engaging characters, intelligently directed and beautifully animated. What more to ask for? The juxtaposing of Taeko's now (as 27) and her then (16 years earlier) tells a lot about Japanese life, thoughts, problems and dreams. If only told about the adult Taeko, this could easily have been made into live action. But the portrayal of the young schoolgirl Taeko steps out of realism to make her a "cartoon kid" to feel for and respect, despite her different shortcomings. And this is a lot harder to do using actors. Kudos to Takahata Isao for giving us this gem!

Whisper of the Heart
Another Studio Ghibli production using animation-only techniques (it's a lot easier to direct a cat in animation!) to present a touching story of "magic realism". And once more it's about what to with one's life, albeit this time from the perspective of a 14-year old. The animation is as beautiful as it ever gets.

Ocean Waves
Overlooked by many, this is the third one of the slice-of-life movies made at Studio Ghibli during the 90s. A smaller budget for this made-for-TV production, but the same scope and realism as the two others. This has a gentle novella-like feel to it, as the high school reunion brings back memories and feelings only two years afterwards. Not a big movie following any standard but a really great one in transmitting the feelings of the key moments in every-day life.

The Star of Cottonland
Another "obscure" production, with an abandoned kitten being taken care of by young man (still teenager) Tokio. We see her as something she wants to become - a human. But Tokio and his parents see her as a kitten in need of a home. A very simple premise for a film that gets to tell a lot about growing up (for all involved), coming of age and trying to find your place in life. Studio Ghibli relation - key animation by Nakura Yasuhiro who would go on to animate Laputa - Castle in the Sky.

SIX SERIES

Key the Metal Idol
I thought this was going to be something of a muddled and creepy series with a lot of abuse, somewhere between Perfect Blue and Now and Then, Here and There. But I was up for a big surprise. Abuse there are aplenty, but the spoiler[frail-looking main character pretty soon turns out to be the toughest person in the whole cast]. The conflict-ridden storyline had me nailed to the TV screen. And the ending of this 15-episode long series is more than worth the wait.

Spirit of Wonder
A peculiar mix of quite childish behaviour and aspirations, plus warm humour and quite a lot of fanservice. Yet the simply gorgeous animation in the vein of the original manga evokes some of the magic of the lone wolf Tsuruta Kenji, whose stories often bring forth a pure charm and sense of longing, despite - and sometimes because of - the aforementioned bad behaviour. Not unlike the more placid Yokohama Country Café stories.

Rumbling Hearts
All the applause got me interested in this. Sure, this emotional roller-coaster is not for everyone, but as I'm a sucker for heart-felt stories with strong content I was bound to like it. The first three or four episodes aren't quite up there, but from there the story never falters in its belief in itself.

Strange Dawn
This went under most people's radar, I reckon. Licensed back when by a company that regarded a series filled with midget size fantasy creatures as marketable only to seven-year olds. No wonder the series bombed, when this audience found out that most of the storyline revolved around dead-serious war-making, teenage girls talking about their troubles clothes-wise (do _you_ carry around a safety kit of underwear, in case you get _really_ lost on your way to school?) and religious cults. But us older kids (I'm currently 44), once we get over our astonishment, we are constantly amazed by the portrayal of those two teenage girls, lost in a strange world where at first nothing seems to make any sense. And they're not even friends! Experienced shoujo anime director Satou Jun'ichi delivers.

Aishiteruze Baby
Japanese animation has explored and invented more genres than the rest of the world combined. So no surprise they can deliver a credible and ultimately very touching portrayal of a high school playboy turned guardian of his cousin. Who happens to be a 5-year-old girl. And all this within the format of a comedy. Some magic moments include the making of boxed lunches and a discovery at a playground.

Welcome to the NHK
Now a different beast. The up-tempo OP song promises a sunny ride including boy and girl. But the series delivers a lot more of emotional depth and insights into the often dark life of a Japanese hikikomori. The production values are great, featuring a memorable, energetic soundtrack and innovative animation techniques presenting both daydreams and real dreams. The look makes it quite similar to the equally in fashion-looking The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. But the characters are a lot more engaging.

FIVE HONOURABLE MENTIONS

Midori Days (charming), Kurogane Communication (humanist), Figure 17 (touching), Haibane Renmei (absorbing) and Kamichu! (delightful).

MY LEAST FAVS?

These are three movies that I've watched all the way through. Despite the fact that I disliked them quite much.

Nadia, the Movie
Way less interesting than the series. Clichéd characters, irritating plot and bad animation.

Catnapped
Obnoxious characters abound in this fluffy fantasy. Strange-looking noses.

Akira
The action-packed story with very little positive interaction between the characters didn't engage my interest a bit. Too bad for all those great-looking production values.

And that completes the list from this sucker for sympathetic slice-of-life and emotion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 56 of 122