• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lost's Matthew Fox Vying to Play Speed Racer's Racer X

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:23 am Reply with quote
I don't know this guy, but he was in an episode of Avatar according to IMDb. That's interesting. Apparently he's also hosted SNL.

(Edit: Typo fixed, so there's no need to point it out now.)

(Edit: Of course he's on Lost, it says so in the headline. *smacks head*)

Last edited by Iritscen on Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
It looks like Vince Vaughn is completely off this movie....
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
I didn't really think that Vince Vaughn would have been good as Racer X. Vaughn has a sarcastic sort of wit...at least in the movies I've seen of his. And if I remember correctly Racer X wasn't really like that.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this movie will ever be finished.. According to Wikipedia, this is actually the third attempt to make a movie out of Speed Racer.

However, I am surprised at all the big names that are associated with this movie... Maybe something good will actually come out this time
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I didn't really think that Vince Vaughn would have been good as Racer X. Vaughn has a sarcastic sort of wit...at least in the movies I've seen of his. And if I remember correctly Racer X wasn't really like that.

Yeah Vaughn doesn't really make any sense but he's certainly one of the it actors at moment. I think that Fox would be a better choice as Racer X, seeing as how I could see a rivalry between him and Emile rather Vaughn. I really hope that the brothers don't use completely CG cars...
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Who? Why are the supporting actors more familiar than the leads? Do they really think the Speed Racer name and Wachowski Bros. are enough to sell the film? It may be popular with some boomers, but it ain't Superman popular that you can have a no-name as a lead.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Who? Why are the supporting actors more familiar than the leads? Do they really think the Speed Racer name and Wachowski Bros. are enough to sell the film? It may be popular with some boomers, but it ain't Superman popular that you can have a no-name as a lead.

And Superman didn't do all that well at the box office, nor with fans. Personally Emile is an actor who been a few films that cater to that demographic audience 14-21, so him being cast as Speed doesn't surprise me, I guess that studio heads figure that everyone will want to see this movie once they see the trailer....just like Transformers. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Delta: I meant the original Superman. Superman Returns bombed, because it should have really been called "Superman Returns, but his kid saves the day". Rolling Eyes
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
'Superman Returns' which, in US alone, theatrically made $200 million, did not bomb. It may have underperformed internationally but I assure you that when you add up the revenue from DVD rentals and sales, the movie actually made a profit.

Stop spreading false info, Gatsu Razz .

Last edited by Proman on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Proman:
Quote:
'Superman Returns' which, in US alone, theatrically made $200 million,

Too bad it cost $250 million. And that's without P&A.

Quote:
did not bomb.

When one of the studio executives apologizes for its weak performance in general that year, that would indicate a flop.

Quote:
It may have underperformed internationally but I assure you that when you add up the revenue from DVD rntals and sales, the movie aactually madea profit.

Probably a small one at best.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Total spoiler-ness, GATSU, in saying something about spoiler[Superman's son], unless you don't think non-anime deserves the benefit of spoiler tags.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen: It's pretty late not to be bringing it up at this point. It's like you being surprised that Darth Vader is Luke's father. Anyway, back to Speed Racer.
ScooterinAB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
Concerning this CG car thing. W.T.F.

I really wish Holleywood would learn that CG is NOT a viable replacement for real life. I love animation, but it p***es me right hell off when everything nowadays is done with computers.

This is a movie about cars, racing, and the drama surrounding it. Why don't they ACTUALLY use cars. I can see Transformers using heavy CG. I can even see the Battle Angel movie in some CG. But not Speed Racer. There are no crazy robots or anything like that.

/rant.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
ScooterinAB wrote:
This is a movie about cars, racing, and the drama surrounding it. Why don't they ACTUALLY use cars. I can see Transformers using heavy CG. I can even see the Battle Angel movie in some CG. But not Speed Racer. There are no crazy robots or anything like that.

I completely agree, not everything needs to be CG. Part of the problem with CG is that 3-4 years down the line that CG looks awful by comparison standards, you can see this in the Matrix. Keep it simple have actual cars bumping and crashing, not a virtual one.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Iritscen: It's pretty late not to be bringing it up at this point. It's like you being surprised that Darth Vader is Luke's father. Anyway, back to Speed Racer.

Actually, that's... completely different. Star Wars is a part of pop culture. Lots of people haven't seen Superman Returns, and it only came out last year. There's a statute of limitations on these things, GATSU.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1