• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non Non Biyori (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
This show makes me feel like I'm 8 years old again, running barefoot over pavement melting from the sun, building dams across streams, caves, and treehouses, a world filled with innocence, adventures, and wonder. There's no bigger plot, no story arc, it's just life being as beautiful and wondrous as it can possibly be. I wish a trip to the candy store or feeding the school's rabbit could still be as exciting once you've grown up. I miss those times. What a lovely show. Natsumi's my favourite, as I can identify with her the most, but they are all equally adorable. And it's sweet to see the brother being so loyal to his sisters every so often (even though they and the series barely take note of his presence), like going to look for them when they ran away, or not telling on his sister for being scared at the shrine at night. I wonder if he'll get one really awesome or really weird line towards the end of the show. But maybe not.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Sometimes Renge can be so profound, makes you think if it is just some fluke. Renge had so many good moments, shouting spoiler[dynamite out of nowhere only to mention that she indeed hurt herself, being fooled by a joke, inviting herself to watch TV]. And the helmet was adorable.

Although being spoiler[outsmarted by a rabbit] is pretty bad, the way that was handled was hilarious. It might be that I am tired, but it took me a while to realize there was a spoiler[chicken on Renge's head].
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Definitely the show I look most forward to watching. Couldn't help but feel bad for Suguru Sad Gone, just like that. I'm not a big fan or Ren, though. She can be cute at times, but it is not cute when she tries too hard to be cute; it is just annoying. Anyway, next episode spoiler[romance be in the air?? That's the kind of episode I've been waiting for Smile Hopefully we get at least a TINY hint that Hotaru has thing for Suguru]

I think you're going to be disapointed then. Since it has zero hints about something like that.

If anything, it has some minor yuri undertones.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
^^ Use spoiler tags next time you post something like that
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
^^ Use spoiler tags next time you post something like that

I'm not talking about the manga.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Lol Komari is such a kid compared to Hotaru. She can drink black coffee, when I can barely drink coffee even with milk and sugar.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
So, now we know. spoiler[The brother] is a rock 'n' roller at heart. I almost fell of my chair laughing. Brilliant. This show is like there's this tiny, hidden place in the world where life's still all good and innocent, and they're letting us in 23 minutes a week.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
It's funny how the main guy in this show is pretty much non existent with literally no given line (I don't remember any line he's ever spoken so far in the show).

The latest episode was okay I guess, wasn't fun as the previous though imo. The spoiler[talk about music was pretty funny and damn, Renge is a talented artist.
]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
It's funny how the main guy in this show is pretty much non existent with literally no given line (I don't remember any line he's ever spoken so far in the show).

Calling him the "main guy" isn't quite right. This show is just another one of those all girl cast shows like K-ON or Hidamari Sketch. It's impressive that he exists at all.

And no, he hasn't spoken, which is what makes the "he speaks but you can't hear him" bit amusing.

Komari was priceless this episode. Girl just keeps failing hardcore.

I know I'm probably alone in this, but I don't really like Hotaru's feelings for Komari. It started off Takanashi-like, where Hotaru just found her adorable, but within the same episode it was shown to suddenly be a full blown crush. Where was the escalation and events that cause it? Jumping from "She's adorable" to "I want her babies!" in a few minutes is too drastic.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
They also save money since they don't need a male seiyuu.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I really wish more of these series were 26 episodes. It feels like it's been forever since we've seen one go longer than a single cour.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
What I found hilarious was that during the glider contest, Komari, age 14, looked only a little bit taller than Renge, age 6 (I'm guessing since she's in grade 1). Poor Komari.

I agree this eppie didn't have as many laughs as others, but it still has the wonderful atmosphere. It's too bad Pupa didn't premiere this fall as announced because the two shows would have been a trippy double-header.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Fun episode as usual! It's always a pleasant time of the week when I sit down to watch this from my PS3 or Roku player. The "muteness" of the older brother reminds me some of how Maggie Simpson has been handled in The Simpsons, particularly in those few episodes that took place well into the future and she was at least a teenager.
Vaisaga wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

I know I'm probably alone in this, but I don't really like Hotaru's feelings for Komari. It started off Takanashi-like, where Hotaru just found her adorable, but within the same episode it was shown to suddenly be a full blown crush. Where was the escalation and events that cause it? Jumping from "She's adorable" to "I want her babies!" in a few minutes is too drastic.

Nah, I definitely sympathize with where you seem to be coming from; I dislike how easy it is to put on (or how difficult it is to remove) yuri goggles when looking at her feelings, and just how much pandering there seems to be in it. I mean, geeze, Hotaru's only in 5th grade. Though, maybe we're taking the relationship more seriously and giving it more credit than it's worth. As many slight variances and developments there may have been so far-- with the biggest one being prior to this episode, as I recall, her obsessive creation of the Komari dolls-- I don't think there's been much more to Hotaru's feelings other than what a couple others stated on page 2 of this thread just after the 2nd episode.

Blood- wrote:
I personally used the term yuri-tinged as opposed to outright yuri... I think Hotaru has a platonic crush on her sempai. It's not really hero worship - she just thinks Komari is really small and cute.

Alan45 wrote:
I'm OK with the phrase Platonic Crush. I don't think it is only Komari's cuteness (though that may be part of it). I think she is actually aware that Komari is an older individual. I should note that a more mature appearance does not mean that there is associated emotional maturity.

My take is that this show is about kids being kids. I may be wrong but we will have to have more episodes to find out.

Ultimately, as much teasing as there has been (especially with this episode), I don't think there's been any serious attitude of "lemme make babies with you" on Hotaru's part. Her feelings with regard to Komari might have not been anything more than a yuri-tinged line of thinking that "she's so small and cute!," feelings that have been reiterated and played to the nth degree for some admittedly-fun comedy. There haven't been any monologues of Hotaru's either to suggest anything emotionally deep. Even with episode 8-- spoiler[where love ("koi") becomes a sub-topic as part of a larger conversation on "adult" things, Hotaru reacts awkwardly when asked if there's someone she likes, and the hearts in her eyes that Komari perceives]-- there is no real follow-through or proof of depth. Also keep in mind that the overall scene I just mentioned also fits in with Alan45 good take of the show being about "kids being kids," with the older kid (Komari) trying to impress her kouhai (Hotaru) and that other girl with her "adult" tastes, only to be one-upped by her peers.

TL;DR: the apparent "yuri" probably won't amount to anything more than being comedy, teasing, and pandering to those that enthusiastically wear their yuri goggles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
That brother just keeps getting better and better lol I feel for Komari though. I too tried hard to keep up with trends when I was younger for a good while until I realized following trends is BS >Razz
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Should I talk about Renge's spoiler[amazing art skills that show she is creative], or Komari's attempts to spoiler[look more adult and getting left behind].

Each week I just really enjoy watching them. Laughing as Renge does spoiler[stereotypical artistic gestures], and giving a spoiler[nonsensical description to what she was doing and losing intrest when done correctly]. And looking at the differences between Komari and Hotaru, the episode implied that spoiler[Hotaru really does have a crush].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 15