• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BusinessWeek Spotlights Manhwa's International Rise

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't read much manhwa, but the ones I have read seem all very similar to Japanese manga-- same kinds of storytelling devices and rendering, just some stylistic differences that seem negligible considering the wide range of styles present in Japanese manga. Is there really much of a difference, aside from in cultural content (and some quality difference)? I ask this because most of the Chinese manhua I've read that go the manga-style route (as opposed to the American comic style manhua, or distinct HK cinema style manhua) seem very derivative-- something that could be good or bad.

I hope companies like TP can license more manhwa (and thus, manhua), and that both can still be accepted. However, all of these terms makes everything really muddled (especially considering that manhua has so many distinctive subgenres). An ANN reviewer coined the word "OEL;" can't someone thing of something to designate comics that specifically follow the Japanese manga sensibility (as opposed to American spandex, American indie, bande dessinee, etc)? Or this will all get very confusing.
Jamee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe in this whole article they don't once mention Infinity Studios!

I love that company. I just ordered A Kiss For My Prince volume 2 last night. If they could just license Ciel: The Last Autumn Story for us.

I'll admit, I skimmed the titles mentioned in the article looking for President Dad before I read the article in-depth. No luck. My favorite manwha is too obscure. (And Tokyopop, put out volume 7 already! Mad )
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
There are differences.
A lot seems in the design. Many (not all) manwha use heavier lines. I haven't seen any graphic yaoi. But in many ways manwha is less vague than manga. Manga artist often leave much open to interpretation, but a lot of manwha follows in the same style of American stories of spelling things out.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
There are differences.
A lot seems in the design. Many (not all) manwha use heavier lines. I haven't seen any graphic yaoi. But in many ways manwha is less vague than manga. Manga artist often leave much open to interpretation, but a lot of manwha follows in the same style of American stories of spelling things out.

That makes sense, I guess. Although... is that really enough for manhwa to be advertised as a whole separate type of product? (as in, I don't think that such differences should be enough for Tokyopop to be wary of introducing more manhwa?) Heck, I'm just looking for this kind of stories, storytelling and some of the visual style, so I honestly couldn't care what country it's coming from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1