• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Freezing (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Well, I finally caught up and I guess I have a few thoughts on the last episode:

1. Wait that's a resort? With all the dark gloomy hallways, shadows, gargoyles and chains I would have though that I just got invited to Vlad's hotel Transylvania. Or maybe its the haunted house at some amusement park? A very large haunted house...

2. They didn't start the season with the brother arc because like I said previously it would have been a bit of a turn off for a fan service show. So that was a good decision on the producers part, but I was a little surprised that they still included it.

3. While it was a slightly awkward transition last episode from the E-Pandora arc in Alaska to the Brother arc in Bali they have managed to tie it together relatively well with Satellizer looking to ask her family for assistance when there was no connection between those arcs in the manga. By shifting around the arcs they needed to tie it together and change some things, but I think it works and addresses some of Satellizer's past.

4. In some ways the anime was creepier than the manga (I don't recall any chains in the manga, ropes yes), but it also feels shorter and I think that was also a good decision because it would have been really tasteless to go on longer. I think we are getting to the conclusion much faster than we did in the manga. It still turns my stomach and creeps me out especially since this is generally a fan service show and a serious issue like family abuse doesn't seem appropriate with this level of detail. The level of detail makes it come off as offensive content that might appeal to a certain type of viewer and just ups the squick factor for me.

5. I didn't have too much of a problem with Satellizer falling victim again (just the way it was presented, i.e. the exploitative content) for several reasons. She never really got over her fear of being touched, which means the issue was not resolved and still impacted her life. She was in a vulnerable position, because she wanted to help Elizabeth and the E-Pandoras. Also you can live a normal life but if you encounter a situation that "triggers" a memory of past abuse or worse you encounter your former abuser...well yea people freak out or fall back into past patterns. I've known plenty of people who had these things happen to them. The character of Satellizer is also meant to be appealing to an audience in the sense that while she's a strong fighter she also has fragile qualities to make the audience sympathize or feel protective of her. So strong in one situation and weak in a different one I can buy that. Its a little different, but the result is the same in the manga if you are curious: {I did not include how this arc ends}[manga spoiler]spoiler[ Satellizer stands up to Luis and threatens to break him in two, but he blackmails her and then she falls back into old patterns becoming a victim again].

6. Funny, I think after the first show the fan service in the manga actually got kicked up one or two notches. I guess the guy found his audience.

EDIT--->looking back on what others have posted I'm probably regurgitating a lot that's already been said. My apologies, I'll just say that I concur with much that's been said.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
For better or worst, that episode ran pretty much how I expected it would, at the very least the arc had a contextual purpose when compared to the manga version.
So back to our regularly scheduled E Pandora arc... lol.
Manga Spoilerspoiler[In the manga version, Satellizer didn't just have "glowing wings" she went full on Nova Mode, but I suppose they are simply saving that for the REAL finale.]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Ep 7.

Better in some ways than the manga, but still the same old BS. spoiler[It was only a sister complex and he's all better now. Yeaa, all that abusers and sadists need is to see the error of their ways and everything afterwards will be peachy-keen. Satellizer isn't alone anymore, so he doesn't have to be an abusive bastard who's sexually frustrated because he can't bone his sister. Please, that is such BS. Habitual abusers don't become better at a flip of a coin]. It minimizes abuse. As someone mentioned before its a serious topic that the show is not well equipped to deal with. The ladies may be well equipped but not the show.

I think it did present Satellizer overcoming some of her anxieties better than the manga and I think it was clearer in giving some growth to her relationship with Kazuya whereas the manga comes off wishy-washy in that department. Again the transition back to the E-Pandora arc still a little awkward. Plopping one arc in the middle of the other isn't great and hurts the flow somewhat, but at least they kept it short.

I wonder if they are going to have time to deal with Chiffon's background? I think it would be appropriate for this story, but I guess we will have to see.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I wonder if they are going to have time to deal with Chiffon's background? I think it would be appropriate for this story, but I guess we will have to see.

It was alluded to in Chiffon's mannerisms that she was definitely conflicted about what to do hearing about the dark truth of E Pandora project and at the same time the breach in Pandora protocol that Elizabeth had committed, pretty much going into Chiffon's backstory means a First Chronicle piece which could be worked in as a sort of flash back for Elizabeth as well as she is... a little out of it at the moment.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:

It was alluded to in Chiffon's mannerisms that she was definitely conflicted about what to do hearing about the dark truth of E Pandora project and at the same time the breach in Pandora protocol that Elizabeth had committed, pretty much going into Chiffon's backstory means a First Chronicle piece which could be worked in as a sort of flash back for Elizabeth as well as she is... a little out of it at the moment.

Now that I think about it they could save Chiffon's backstory as flashbacks for a later season where we would get more background on West Genetics #3 Ticy Phenyl. Instead Elizabeth's background might work better since its more of a stand alone story and it wouldn't take more than a single episode. I look forward to when they do show more of Chiffon's history though. The "Smiling Monster" indeed.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 7...

Felt way too fast for me. So spoiler[Luis just forgives them like that? Well if anything, he'll have to show more respect and love for Holly from now on if they want to retain a good relationship.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
he spoiler[aint dead], but this arc is over, and that's good enough. i think the best part of this episode was finding out Howard spoiler[actually cares about] Satella. Louis had me believing that he was just like Olivia and didn't give a rats ass about the girl.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:03 am Reply with quote
I loved the emotional tone of this episode, but hated the outcome. Hated. I am by no means much of a sentimentalist, and it hasn't killed the series for me, but really? I understand that Luis spoiler[can't die because he has a role to play], but to spoiler[redeem himself]? No! Absolutely not!

Actually, now that I think about it, Luis spoiler[didn't need to survive]. All that needed to happen was for him to spoiler[end up dead] and then, enter Howard to reveal that he had suspicions of Luis' abusive nature for years, state that he was saddened at his son's behaviour and spoiler[that he had to die], apologise to Satellizer for not intervening in the first place, and then do his thing as the family head. It wouldn't make Howard much better than Luis as a character for the lack of due diligence, but at least we, the viewers, can feel like justice was done. I get that this is an ecchi and by no means qualified to be any kind of statement on female empowerment, or post-abuse rehabilitation in general, but there's a limit to how offensive you can get.

Once again, I'm normally pretty neutral about this sort of thing, especially in anime (fudge, it happens in hentai all the time!), but if this caused any kind of moral backlash from the public, I honestly wouldn't hold any blame for the offended. Atrocious. It sucks, because I was rather exasperated while watching it, the foremost question in my mind being, "Are they gonna do this right? Please let them do this right..." Because I knew that it's an anime, and that an outcome like this was entirely possible. I am disappointed that my fears were realised.

Still looking forward to more, but I have been left with a bad taste in my mouth for sure.

Last edited by Gatherum on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
I'm going to do my best to forget this craptastic Brother arc even exists.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
You'll get no disagreement from me about how Louis was let off way too easily. Regardless of how it was done in the manga, the anime dropped the ball on that one.

A shame, since I actually liked the arc up until that point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
That was my biggest problem with the arc as well. I was hoping the anime would rewrite that part, but I suppose they couldn't with the way they tried throw it into the E-Pandora arc.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9, a lot of pieces moving into position but it certainly is a welcome "calm before the storm".
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Let the spoiler[revolt] begin!

Should of saw this coming tbh with all the drama going on relating to E-Pandoras.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
finally getting interesting again. bring on the brutal fights!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
And the main course is just beginning, some of the scene editing feels a little off but I (and the target audience) can certainly handwave it with the simple desire to watch super powered ladies square off.

I am looking forward to the sound editing hinted in the earlier episode on how Charles fights, which hopefully will make the Charles Vs Elizabeth bout be as worthy of a highlight as it was in the Manwha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10