• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yowamushi Pedal (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
The problem is that Sakamichi doesn't want to race against them, he wants to ride with them. Right now his competitive spirit is only focused inward, to overcome his own limitations to keep up, not surpass.

It will be interesting to see if they can develop him into a competitor who can crush an opponent, without making him into someone we no longer like.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Between this and Ace of Damond we're really stuck between feast or famine here. Diamond is needlessly antagonistic with unsupportive coaches with just about every teammate being unhelpful, selfish, jerks who look down on the hero. Pedal meanwhile is all about making friends, finding joy in your sport, and giving just about as much aid as possible....

...remind me again, which is the one about the team sport and which can only have one winner?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
I'm endlessly amused by all the THIS IS A MATTER OF LIFE OR DEATH!!! level of intensity. Makes me wonder whatreal races gonna look like...also, if they are half-dead from exhaustion, how are they still able to talk so much?!

Bonus points for spoiler[little tsundere Imaizumi. Laughing]
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
"During brutal races that take days, like the Tour de France, some athletes show unbelievable improvement. The moment a mere also-ran becomes an ace... That is a race."

No Imaizumi, that is called doping.

But otherwise, great episode. Hopefully this practice run will finish next episode.

Haha, so very true... but this is a shonen sports manga , so we should take what happens in a sport at face value. Not to mention it's a manga where there is a character who is a sprinter who is bad at climbing despite clearly having the body type of a climber, simply because the story says he is a sprinter. Then again, Over Drive did the same thing with its main character... Tiny guys are NEVER sprinters! Big guys with overdeveloped thigh muscles are.

I don't even have to watch the episode to know that translation should be "That is racing," not "That is a race."

But Crunchyroll has either ignored my emails about the translation errors (likely) or went ahead and made the corrections (snowball's chance).

Spastic Minnow wrote:

...remind me again, which is the one about the team sport and which can only have one winner?

There is *technically* only one winner (actually, there are several prizes for each stage, and for the whole race...overall, sprint win, climbing prize, most aggressive prize, young rider prize), but cycle racing is most definitional a team sport. It's just that the team's primary strategy is helping their captain win the overall race, while the climbers aim to win climbing stages, and the sprinters aim to win sprint stages. In the case of sprinters, the whole team comes to together to pull the sprinter (through drafting), who they launch like a missile when the finish line comes in view. Even if the team members run out of steam and slow down before the goal, it doesn't matter as long as their sprinter wins.

FWIW, as far as the overall time of the race is considered, everyone in the same group finishes at the same time. It's only the stage win where position matters.

There are also team time trials were the team works together to do a time trial section faster than the other teams. This is one of the most interesting kinds of road racing because of the insanely precise formation riding they do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_classification

^Read these.

Edit:

Translation error, he says "As long as I have 'him'" when he refers to his bike. "Go faster" should be "be on time."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

*Sees Onada clench his chest* I think he might be having a heart attack.

One thing I kept wondering is whether Onoda has spoiler[actually changed gears], we saw him doing spoiler[it once with his usual bike, but no signs of doing it with the current one]. I partially wanted a reveal he hadn't, and when he gets found out he gets explained or has a dramatic flashback spoiler[and suddenly decides to and goes faster], but that would retarded as what kind of idiot spoiler[forgets how to use gears after getting it explained] and experiencing the difference. Still if he did, I would have liked to have seen it.

And so the van has revealed that they decided to spend the entire time just watching Onoda, because they don't need to watch anyone else. Their important job is to provide shounen narration.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:36 am Reply with quote
In their defense, they more or less knew how all the other riders would perform... but Onoda was a total surprise.

Let's assume the five minutes it took him to get back on the road was simply explaining how to shift gears and how to use the brakes. The controls themselves are easy (twist the brake levers in to shift down, press a button or twist the smaller inner lever in to shift up...brakes are self explanatory) but he would have had no idea how to select a gear for hills.

...but in his case, he'd probably be fine as long as he used the lowest gear (which you usually use for climbs that steep anyway...at least I do). If he wants to go faster, he'd just up his cadence. If he wanted to go slower, he'd just slow it down. For the record, the lowest gear on a road bike is MUCH higher (meaning harder to pedal) than the lowest gear on a typical mountain bike, especially if you have a double crank instead of a compact crank. But it's still MUCH lower (easier to pedal) than the gears of a mamachari/city bike.

He hasn't actually revealed the secret weapon Naruko taught him yet...

(if you think about it, it's pretty obvious what he's lacking as a climber)
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Onoda vs Imaizumi to the top!
That sure was one intense battle.
It's amazing how fired up those two got.
Very very impressive.
Naruko is the best. He totally saved Onoda with his advice.
Surprisingly, Onoda is a really fast learner.
Guess that kid is impressive in more ways than one.
Amazing episode that kept me on the edge of my seat.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
also, if they are half-dead from exhaustion, how are they still able to talk so much?!

Or scream so much? Very Happy

I couldn't help but think that, while Naruko genuinely wanted to help Sakamichi, he was also using him to exhaust Imaizumi, so that he, Naruko, would have a better chance of catching him and winning on the downhill. Speaking of which, I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to see much of that, given how they built it up as being terrifyingly steep and dangerous.

Still loved the episode though, dramatic reaction shots and all.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9...

Great finish. I knew spoiler[Sakamachi can do it! Even if took almost everything out of him, a little dose of that Hime song worked. Ha, now that song is stuck in my head somewhat...]

I can't wait to see what happens next though as I want to see Sakamachi race against some of the ace members from the club. Lol @ the ending of this episode as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
Well, i laughed a lot during this episode, maybe not always in the right places, but i just can't take all that DRAMA seriously....and it's probably supposed to be taken seriously...i think. But well, i'm still having fun with the show in my very own way. Very Happy

So how did Onoda lspoiler[earn how to 'dance' so quickly? Is he just that awesome or was it that mysterious trick Naruko taught him?
]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

The drama in this is still ridiculous. Like their reactions when spoiler[he stood up]. Come on it is not that dramatic is it?

And was I actually right that Onada spoiler[had not changed gears, it looked like Naruko was partially expecting the reveal that Naruko had not changed gears to surprise him.] The idea he spoiler[did not change gears in go up a slope] is rather silly if it is a race. It is not a secret technique.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
So how did Onoda lspoiler[earn how to 'dance' so quickly?
]

He used his Sharingan.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Well, i laughed a lot during this episode, maybe not always in the right places, but i just can't take all that DRAMA seriously....and it's probably supposed to be taken seriously...i think. But well, i'm still having fun with the show in my very own way. Very Happy

So how did Onoda lspoiler[earn how to 'dance' so quickly? Is he just that awesome or was it that mysterious trick Naruko taught him?
]

In real-life terms, spoiler[ most children are already capable of standing and pedaling. If anything it's weird that he CAN'T do it. That said, Japanese kids are instructed NOT to stand on the pedals. Apparently it just never occurred to him? They only use the term "dancing" in Japan for what it's worth, although sometimes English-speaking commentators sometimes refer to it as "dancing on the pedals." I think they're being more figurative though. Usually it's just "standing and pedaling" or "pedaling while standing," "standing," etc. Which I guess in this case having one word is actually better...]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
^So if I told you I'm physically incapable of pedalling while standing for more than 20 seconds, that makes me really weird?

I'm really satisfied with how this ended.spoiler[ I was worried that Onoda would pull Main Character Jutsu and win the whole race, which would've been way too much, even for this series. The fact that he completely fainted from running out of stamina made the whole thing as realistic as a shonen sports anime can be, which made me happy, instead of appearing like an asspull. My only complaint is that the final stages of the race between Naruko and Imaizumi were basically skimmed over, and I really wanted to see Naruko show his sprinter abilities or something like that.]
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
No, not at all. It's very hard to do for more than a minute, even for a professional (if they are going all out...they could probably do it all day if they were just screwing around). But you can still do it, can you not?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 30