• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kyousogiga (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have no idea if this was something that was planned from day one or if this is just a really imaginative way to ease up the animation production schedule

I recall the early info about the TV series being that we'd have 13 episodes total: 10 of them being the series proper, and then 3 special/recap episodes of some sort. With Episode 0, and now 5.5 next week, that means one more somewhere along the line.

Honestly I suspect the special episodes are there to pad out the TV airing.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
dtm42, check out Kyousogiga's wikipedia page. It's updated and explains the show's plot points and characters very clearly.

LOL, I think you meant to address that to Gina Szanboti.

Yup, sorry.
Gina Szanboti, here's the Wiki page on Kyousogiga. I think the character profiles do a good job of outlining what's going on. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them!

So I looked over some net discussions and found some interesting theories...

On 'A' and 'Un', Young Koto's "brothers...
Quote:
'A' is the sound of the first letter of the Sanskrit alphabet and is pronounced with the mouth open. 'Un' is the sound of the last letter of the Sanskrit alphabet and is pronounced with the mouth closed. At the entrance to a Shinto shrine, there are often two lion-dog shrine guardians *komainu 狛犬, one with mouth open and the other with mouth closed. ... 'A' and 'un' represent the beginning and the end of all things, or inhalation and exhalation, respectively.
Source: JAANUS A better picture of an 'A' and 'Un' statue pair

The Wikipedia entry on the 13th Century Monk Myoe:
Quote:
In the latter half of his career he served as abbot of Kōzan-ji (高山寺), a temple of the Kegon sect located near Kyoto.... Myōe is also well known for keeping a journal of his dreams for over 40 years,

Remember Mama Koto's Dream Journal from ep 1? Smile

There is a lot of discussion floating around about the symbolism of pomegranates. The story of Persephone and Hades might have a connection in which Hades offered Persephone a pomegranate to trick her into being stuck in the Greek Underworld for 6 months a year. Myoue Jr. offered a pomegranate to child Koto...

Pomegranates have symbolic meaning in many mythic and religious traditions, so there is probably even more going on there...

What do you guys think about the deeper symbolism all over this show? Pomegranates, DNA, komainu, spoiler[suicide (attempts?)], dream journals, Buddhism, Greek myth, and, of course, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. There is a *LOT* going on here!
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:47 am Reply with quote
Some of my observations and theories, based purely on what has been shown so far:

Inari is the original Myoue, possibly a reincarnation. He has been taking care of the painting-Kyoto as well as updating it to keep with the times, which explains why they have modern technology.

Koto is the daughter of original Koto and Myoue or a reincarnation of the original, possibly both. In any case she seems to hold the spirit of Lady Koto.

The Shrine is multidimensional organization tasked with maintaining order and keeping the dimensions separate, which will bring them to conflict with the Kurama Temple who wish to break free from Mirror Kyoto. Fushimi seems to be a defector from the Shrine and possibly the only real human being in Mirror Kyoto aside from Koto (maybe) and Yakushimaru.

Yase seems to be perfectly content where she is. She just wishes to be reunited with her beloved Mama, which is propably why she will agree to work with Kurama.

Kurama wants their parents to come back so he could finally go out into the real world and 'prove his worth'. He has grown tired of waiting, so he and his Temple are researching Koto and her hammer to forcibly bring Koto and Myoue back/break free from Mirror Kyoto.

Yakishumaru propably feels that he should have died back then and that he has been living a borrowed life (partly forced on him by the original Myoue) for far too long now. Since he isn't a painting unlike (most) other people in Mirror Kyoto he propably is much more aware of the passage of time. Possibly he has tried to kill himself before, but has been unsuccesful since nothing in Mirror Kyoto is permanently destroyed/killed, so he needs the help of Koto and her hammer.

--------------------------

Been loving this show so far and if not for JoJo it would definetily be a candidate for my show of the year.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
So Blood- got me back to watching this show after I gave up on it for the first couple of episodes of weird. After some patience, and a realization that it was speaking to some actual history, I'll continue on with it.

Incidentally, I did enjoy the live action travelogue. I'm planning on leading a study abroad tour that involves Kyoto in May, and this was a great way to pick a few sites for us to visit. Very Happy Still, that Erika Nakayama's place in the show is unfamiliar to me since she's a "new voice actor". She must voice a character that we haven't met yet.
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
LOL! MORAL OF THE STORY:

spoiler[Don't trust adults.]

AHAHAHAHAHA Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
That was evil of the original Myoe. Yakushimaru lost his entire family and now he is forced to be immortal, with no way out of a living hell. It's a fate worse than death. Myoe's nonchalant attitude making it seem like the death of the kid's family is no big deal also disgusting.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
Myoue didn't mean any harm, though. It was selfish of him to bring the kid back without thinking about he'd react, but whether Myoue had good intentions ("I'm going to save his life!") Or purely selfish ones ("my wife wants a kid, his parents are dead, he can be our kid now"), they weren't malicious. I suspect Myoue's intent was a mix of the two-he honestly loves life and believes immortality to be a gift. We see how Yakushimaru eventually warms up to his family and is able to smile again. But leaving Yakushimaru and forcing on him the name "Myoue" and the responsibilities of the mirror world was incredibly selfish, and we see how negatively its affected Yakushimaru/Myoue Jr.

More interesting to me was this exchange in ep 6:
spoiler[Koto: "Are we in Hell?" (Or something to that effect)
Myoue Jr; "You haven't noticed? We have a Demon, a. Buddha, and a Priest"

Hmmm, maybe the Mirror World is a type of Underworld or Purgatory? ]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote
Hey guys, quick question. I'm probably gonna start watching this in the next day or two. Just want to clarify what the deal is with the ONA and/or episode 0. Am I correct in understanding that they are more or less the same thing? And in any case, should I watch ep 0 and/or the ONA or just jump right in with episode 1 initially?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote
Yes, Episode 0 is basically the ONA. If you've not seen the ONA, I would watch Episode 0. It's gonna make very little sense to you, but as you watch future episodes, it will start to make sense retroactively. It's actually not the greatest intro in the world because I can easily imagine someone watching it and going, wtf? and crapping out of the rest. That would be a pity, though.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Hey guys, quick question. I'm probably gonna start watching this in the next day or two. Just want to clarify what the deal is with the ONA and/or episode 0. Am I correct in understanding that they are more or less the same thing? And in any case, should I watch ep 0 and/or the ONA or just jump right in with episode 1 initially?

I would skip episode 0(ONA),and just watch from episode 1.I really think that creators wanted to tell Kyousougiga in TV format,the events from episode 0 appear in last episode and there were actually some differences,I think that watching that episode is unnecessary.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 was awesome. The clash and the ending there defines the beauty and style of this series. Again, spoiler[Koto is reminded that her parents are alive while Myoue's are gone because of his tragic past. Damn, I almost shed a tear during that conversation.]

The dialogues and music of this show never ceases to amaze me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm really loving this show. The newest episode saves me from typing out a micro essay on spoiler[evidence that Koto was neither the original Myoue or Koto. I've had the feeling since episode 3.]
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
This was a really enjoyable series that didn't get the attention it deserved. Or perhaps it had a lot of viewers but most of them were just like me and quietly enjoyed it every week without feeling much need for discussion? Smile

Anyhows, a very unique anime, visually and plot-wise and definitely one of my favourites this season. Looking forward to the final special.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Golden egg of the season for me. I rated it very good and it will stand as that. The dialogues, characters, setting, direction, and story was captivating that captured my every attention along with the unique animation + powerful soundtrack.

The finale was also great and I loved the very ending with the family together in union with a happy expression. Shame this show is only 10 episodes....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:26 am Reply with quote
I liked this show, but I have to admit it fizzled somewhat toward the end for me. I guess a large part of what was driving me for the first two-thirds was wondering what was going on and where it was all going. Now that I know, I'm kinda ... hmm. I suspect next week's review eppie might clarify a few things that are still somewhat hazy. Not sure I'll ever need to see this one again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4