• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shonen Jump Sponsors Shokugeki no Soma, World Trigger MAD Contests

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Images must be scanned from purchased manga, self-drawn, or taken from two sites approved by Shōnen Jump.

For Shokugeki no Soma, the second link leads to a "vomic" or a voiced (and partially motion) comic btw. I presume these are the same seiyuu that will be used in the anime when there is one. Interestingly Shueisha has vomics for several other titles.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the winner essentially gets their favorite series for free. It'd be really funny if these took off and Shueisha ends up having to give some fan 50+ volumes of manga.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
Images must be scanned from purchased manga, self-drawn, or taken from two sites approved by Shōnen Jump.

For Shokugeki no Soma, the second link leads to a "vomic" or a voiced (and partially motion) comic btw. I presume these are the same seiyuu that will be used in the anime when there is one. Interestingly Shueisha has vomics for several other titles.

Not necessarily. Comparing the characters shared between known vomics and anime casts of a couple of recent series...

Haikyuu's Vomic cast:
Hinata Shouyou: Kenn
Kageyama Tobio: Maeno Tomoaki
Sawamura Daichi: Yanagita Junichi
Tanaka Ryuunosuke: Motohashi Daisuke

Anime cast:
Hinata Shouyou: Ayumu Murase
Kageyama Tobio: Kaito Ishikawa
Sawamura Daichi: Satoshi Hino
Tanaka Ryuunosuke: Yuu Hayashi

Assassination Classroom's Vomic cast:
Korosensei: Masaya Onosaka
Nagisa Shiota: Nozomi Yamamoto
Tadaomi Karasuma: Kōsuke Toriumi
Irina Jelavic: Masumi Asano
Karma Akabane: Nobunaga Shimazaki
Kaede Kayano: Yō Taichi

OVA cast:
Korosensei: Tomokazu Seki
Nagisa Shiota: Nao Tōyama
Tadaomi Karasuma: Junichi Suwabe
Irina Jelavic: Yui Horie
Karma Akabane: Nobuhiko Okamoto
Kaede Kayano: Ayana Taketatsu

Nisekoi also differs, but I can only find the vomic cast for 3 characters (check Wikipedia's entry for Nisekoi).

Essentially, recent trends show us that it is likely for vomic casts to be entirely different from future anime adaptation casts.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Since the vomic's cast are seiyuu's themselves and sound good I assumed they'll stick with the same cast. I wonder why the changeup.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
too bad the comp is most likely(probably definitely) Japan only
Somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Interesting. Since the vomic's cast are seiyuu's themselves and sound good I assumed they'll stick with the same cast. I wonder why the changeup.

This is just my guess without any solid information, but I think the difference lies in that for an anime adaptation, you're gonna be more serious about cast selection and do auditions. But vomics are far lower on the scale of... seriousness/importance/investment, so the selection process for that will probably be less scrutinizing.
In other words, because vomics are closer to filler promotional material than to more expensive projects, you probably go through the casting process with one mindset. But when it comes around to casting for an anime project with an actual budget, you're doing so with a different mindset, and perhaps process.

Edit: Hmm, forgot to mention this one earlier.
This MAD contest for Shokugeki no Souma and World Trigger isn't a stand alone thing; it's part of the Fresh Power Campaign found here.
Here is the respective page for Souma, and here is the one for World Trigger.

And a summary of what the Fresh Power Campaign includes, taken from Mangahelpers:
"Soma's having a gravure photoshoot of Yuuki Mio "cosplaying" as Megumi in weekly playboy

WT's having a campaign with the "bonchi age" snacks (which happen to be Jin's favorite food in the manga)

Both are having the following things:
-A MAD contest in nico nico (one for each)
-Special traymats at the Lotteria fast food chain
-A special CM/sketch made by the JumBANG! hosts and Jungle Pocket promoting the new volumes (it can be watched in the Jump LIVE app and it's quite funny I have to admit)
-2 special recipes including bonchi age (or else it wouldn't be a collaboration) will be published on the December 9th issue (I think that's issue 2, the recipes are a gratin and a monja using bonchi age)
-The promotional videos someone already posted here (go to shonen jump's official youtube channel to watch them)
-One last thing yet to be revealed"

I've seen the pictures; the spreads of Yuuki Mio cosplaying as Megumi in Weekly Playboy are work safe Razz
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I like how both guys look kind of chill and the girl in the back is just tsundere looking as all hell.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Being a fan of Shokugeki no Soma, the prospect of getting every volume is incredibly awesome. Too bad I don't have MAD skills, or live in Japan! Anything that helps promote Soma is a good thing in my books!
Brutannica

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the additional info, configspace and Somewhere. I probably should've included it in the article. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1