• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sgt. Frog Gets New TV Flash Anime By Sunrise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Will this be a continuation or a remake?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what to think about this... while I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the characters, I've never really paid any mind to these SD shorts. Guess I'll see how it turns out when it comes.
Blazaking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Great to see some more Keroro. Definitely going to watching this.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
Welcome back Keroro! I just wish Funi would license more episodes of the original series....
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
If we're lucky they'll licence this and help build up motivation to licence some more of the older anime. I still want to see the garuru arc dubbed dammit!
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
OMG! Is so happy! This made my day and it's 1 in the morning!

Thatguy3331 wrote:
If we're lucky they'll licence this and help build up motivation to licence some more of the older anime. I still want to see the garuru arc dubbed dammit!
I know...I loved that arc, it's what kept me in and going until the end and I swore I'd never watch something THAT dreadfully long again! Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it but it did drag something which I think Funimation's style would aid in. However business is business.

Otherwise I don't mind the new show being Flash animated but we'll see how it looks and feels when it comes out. Otherwise, I'm glad Keroro's back. Now to go grab my plushies and wait impatiently!

Gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero gero...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
Sunrise flash animation................
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear about this! Keroro is one of my favorite anime/manga characters ever! kerokerokerokerokerokerokerokero tamatamatamatamatamatamatamatama girogirogirogirogirogirogirogiro kurukurukurukurukurukurukuru dorodorodorodorodorodorodoro
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
Diehard defender of the Sarge though I have famously come to be, the title change and cheap Flash animation makes me think this's a "fake" series under new management, like the Slayers OAV's or Tenchi GXP.

Junichi Sato oversaw the original series, and it had his mix of funny gags, likable incompetence, and occasional veers off into sentimentally stylized fantasy. ("One of those boring episodes", as Funi's dub called them. Rolling Eyes )
This one looks like it's just marketing the characters to its age group, and I can only hope it has as much of the pure-geek pop-refs.
NeonZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:01 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Junichi Sato oversaw the original series, and it had his mix of funny gags, likable incompetence, and occasional veers off into sentimentally stylized fantasy. ("One of those boring episodes", as Funi's dub called them. Rolling Eyes )
This one looks like it's just marketing the characters to its age group, and I can only hope it has as much of the pure-geek pop-refs.

To be fair, Junichi Sato, after the first season (second American season), just "oversaw" the show. He wasn't the director anymore, and the quality of the series could vary a lot depending on script writers and director handling the actual episodes.

It was also based on a manga, not an anime original, so I don't think the comparison to GXP is warranted. Although there were differences between the anime and manga, and many adaptated stories had elements modified, especially in the first and season seasons, most sentimental stories in the first season still were adaptations of manga chapters (the pop culture references also actually have even more presence in the manga and were toned down in the anime, aside from the Gundam ones). It was only starting with the second season that most episodes became anime-only stories.

Still, we don't really know what this new show is going to do though. If it's mostly original stories again, then there's a chance the quality could fall due to the new staff. It's odd that Natsumi seems to be wearing a new school uniform though, I hope they won't attempt to reboot the show... That seems pointless, especially if it's going to be a flash anime.

Regarding the target audience, it's going to premiere on Animax, so I can't see them going after a younger audience than the original series (which had new episodes in Tv Tokyo's Saturday morning block, aside from the second and seventh seasons).
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Would love to see more episodes licensed by FUNi, and maybe one of the movies, but I understand that DVD-only is a difficult sell for a long franchise like this. They would need a TV deal. I could see this show at least surviving on Nicktoons or Vortexx (although supposedly regular Nickelodeon picked up the show several years ago, back when ADV had it, but the latter's financial difficulties ensured them changing their mind). Fortunately in this day and age, Netflix and Hulu could help too, as well as Neon Alley.

It's about as likely as FUNimation getting more Shin Chan, although they handled Sgt. Frog very differently, both licenses are handled similarly. I know the voice actors on both shows really enjoyed working on them (Todd Haberkorn even called it his favorite show to work on once), and would jump at the chance to return. I find Sgt. Frog the funnier and more likable show myself.
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the flash part will ruin this, but I'm glad to see more Keroro, We need some 556 episodes too. Cool
NeonZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nice. Will this be a continuation or a remake?

Natsumi's school uniform is different from the one in the previous anime, and the emblem is different from both anime and manga. It doesn't even seem to have the "KS" (Kishou) initials either. So, it might be a complete reboot where they'll be changing random things like their school.

Last edited by NeonZ on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:55 am; edited 2 times in total
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Would be really nice if Crunchyroll streamed this since I doubt Funi will license more Sgt. Frog(and maybe Crunchy can get the original too).
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Would love to see more episodes licensed by FUNi, and maybe one of the movies, but I understand that DVD-only is a difficult sell for a long franchise like this. They would need a TV deal. I could see this show at least surviving on Nicktoons or Vortexx (although supposedly regular Nickelodeon picked up the show several years ago, back when ADV had it, but the latter's financial difficulties ensured them changing their mind). Fortunately in this day and age, Netflix and Hulu could help too, as well as Neon Alley.

It's about as likely as FUNimation getting more Shin Chan, although they handled Sgt. Frog very differently, both licenses are handled similarly. I know the voice actors on both shows really enjoyed working on them (Todd Haberkorn even called it his favorite show to work on once), and would jump at the chance to return. I find Sgt. Frog the funnier and more likable show myself.

Yeah, a TV deal, or at least a Neon Alley spot (I myself have suggested it a couple of times), would probably be the best thing for a show like Sgt. Frog. While obviously Toonami won't be interested (since they've refocused to just action anime at this point, and the relative failure of comedy Tenchi Muyo GXP probably didn't help, either), there are still a few viable options in kids networks.

The biggest problem I see is the editing concerns; several episodes have a bit of adult humor (not helped by some of the added innuendo in the dub), so they'd have to edit around that, though swearing may not be as much of a problem, since most of it is restricted to words like "suck", "freaking", and "crap"; outside of some bleeped words ("STUPID F*CKING KULULU!", as well as a chunk of the first beach episode), and the occasional "hell" and at least one use of "ass", nothing you wouldn't hear on a modern Cartoon Network show, or at least Adventure Time, Mad, or Regular Show. The problems would probably be bigger for Vortexx, though, thanks to stricter censors (I think most have at least heard about the edits to Dragon Ball Z Kai and Justice League Unlimited). Still, I retain my point that TV would be the best way to ensure further dubbing at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2