• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yowamushi Pedal (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:00 am Reply with quote
Well, yeah, but rarely do it because it drains my stamina so fast, and my balance gets so off that I fail to see the advantages of it. At most I may be able to turn the pedals three to five times and it tires me so much that whatever extra impulse I may get from it gets lost because my legs hurt too much and I have to stop to catch my breath. I remember I was told once before that I'm always "sitting" when riding and when I mentioned that I wasn't really apt for standing and pedalling, they said that was strange and that I should learn to do it. And I've consciously tried to do it, but it just doesn't work for me.

Just FTR I most definitely do not do competitive cyclism, but I do ride uphill on a daily basis (not this show's kind of hills, definitely). If Kanzaki says the road racer is the pinnacle of bicycles for its focus on speed, I say my mommy-bike is the pinacle of bicycles because it gets me from point A to point B without paying for a bus and it even has a basket to carry whatever needs to be carried. Different priorities, I'd say.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:07 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Well, yeah, but rarely do it because it drains my stamina so fast, and my balance gets so off that I fail to see the advantages of it. At most I may be able to turn the pedals three to five times and it tires me so much that whatever extra impulse I may get from it gets lost because my legs hurt too much and I have to stop to catch my breath. I remember I was told once before that I'm always "sitting" when riding and when I mentioned that I wasn't really apt for standing and pedalling, they said that was strange and that I should learn to do it. And I've consciously tried to do it, but it just doesn't work for me.

Sounds like you need to HTFU. Which is the cyclists answer to pretty much every question asked by new cyclist.

How bad is your balance, if standing is hard? This, combined with your statement about only pedaling three to five teams makes it sound like your gears are WAAAAY too high (heavy).

The advantage of standing is A. that it uses different muscles, so the muscles you use when you're sitting get to take a short break, B. that it lets you use your body weight for extra power (which is most relevant on hills) and C. you should stand up every couple of minutes anyway to restore blood flow to your nethers, so you might as well get some extra exercise.

FWIW, there is no way Sakamichi would have been able to go to Akiba with his saddle that low without standing. He'd never make it up hills and that high cadence when sitting would DESTROY his knees.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Onoda feeling the consequences of the intense ride.
Imaizumi is still the best overall though.
That's to be expected considering his vast experience.
Was expecting more of Naruko...
That bicycle club sure has a tough regime.
No time to rest or recover, always pushing the limits.
Makishima is such a naturally creepy guy.
He doesn't seem bad at all though.
Onoda and him are kinda similar LOL
It was nice seeing some of Makishima's story.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious what all the club members' specials moves are later on. So far, they've been quite unique and impressive. I have no doubt Sakamachi will be able to surpass them someday if he works hard enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:44 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I'm curious what all the club members' specials moves are later on. So far, they've been quite unique and impressive. I have no doubt Sakamachi will be able to surpass them someday if he works hard enough.

Eh... There's nothing in cycling worth doing in a race that is actually worth calling a special move. Because if there was, it would have to be something that you can only do for a few seconds, which is only useful at the very end of a race... hehe.

But this is a shonen manga, so...lol

FWIW, any decent ride that's long enough will make you ache all over. The reason his neck was hurting is (probably) because road bikes have very bent-over positions so you have to stretch your neck just to look up.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Would any of you biking experts know if the technique the green haired guy was going would actually be useful? I've pretty much written off as an "anime logic" thing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
^
It does seem very inefficient, with a lot of wasted energy. But I'm no cycling expert.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I pointed this out earlier, but it's by far the stupidest thing in the series.

There is zero reason to do it. At most you should swing the bike six inches or so. Any more is a waste if energy.

In my experience if you have to swing the bike (using your arms for a little extra power) more than that, your using too tall of a gear or you're going up a slope way too steep to even be a road..

What he does is beyond inefficient....it's absurd.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
I bet he swings the bike with the power of his hair, so it makes perfect sense to me! Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
^My thoughts exactly. There's no other explanation for him to ride with his hair untied, anyone knows it's completely impractical
bllanosr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Makashima's spider dance is ridiculous and pointless but it's a sports shonen anime and everyone needs a special move. I'm actually expecting everyone to have one. Besides, I think Makashima alluded that other riders think his special dance is gross and scary. I'm guessing no one wants to ride near him when he swings his hair and bike back and forth like that.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:54 am Reply with quote
He would NOT be popular on group rides in real life... and the group leaders, as he pointed out, would constantly be telling him it's the wrong way to ride. Of course, they would tell Sakamichi to shift up a gear and now to pedal so damn fast. Hehehe.

Even assuming his physiology somehow makes it so he can generate more climbing power that way without wearing him out faster(and you CAN generate more torque that way, but it will wear you out very quickly), climbing and cycling in general is much less about maximum power and more about 1. how efficient you are and 2. how much power you can put down for a solid hour...or four.

I can put out enough power to keep up with high-level amateur racers on flat ground for a few seconds, but those people will leave me behind within minutes riding normally because I'm overweight and out of shape (except for my quads...sigh).

That said, if he was swinging the bike a foot or two, and now two or three feet, than I could forgive it as simply being bad form or personal preference. Swinging the bike that much would also severely increase your rolling resistance (probably), which is even more wasted energy.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Naruko sure is one of a kind.
He's definitely not a quitter.
It's nice they gave us some racing this time.
Preliminaries were very interesting.
Looks like the Sohoku upperclassmen are pretty strong.
At least Naruko and Imaizumi got motivated ^^
Can't wait to see them perform at the Inter-high!]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

If the seniors spoiler[were so good], why were they losing spoiler[most of the time]? That even brings about what was so amazing about what they did at the end. Like using their spoiler[sprinter's large body to create a wind barrier] would be that effective. And telling that other team that their spoiler[first years are better], when that team was also doing the spoiler[wind break thing], not to mention that one of them spoiler[put their hand on the other cyclist] which has to be against the rules.

Also that one guy just had to explain exactly what he was doing like their experience and time spent riding together would not mean a short amount of words enough. And don't get me started on how just saying that they are going to do something seems to be world destroying declarations, you would think the reaction was like a life was in danger. Surely this is the Saki of biking, if only we could get lightning.

And all of the kids apparently getting permission to leave school to attend another area's bike preliminaries, and apparently one guy is evil for some reason, which we know based off the creepy character design we have seen in the OP.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 11

If the seniors spoiler[were so good], why were they losing spoiler[most of the time]? ... not to mention that one of them spoiler[put their hand on the other cyclist] which has to be against the rules.

Saving their energy until the final sprint. What bothered me about that was they said they were spoiler[hiding their strength from the scouts by only showing the seniors, but such a flashy finish was unnecessary and certainly showed off their strength! And I also thought the touching] was illegal, but what do I know.

All of the people on the other team look creepy to me (those eyelashes! Very Happy).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 30