• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kamisama Kiss Shojo Anime's Trailer Previews English Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
$130 is a hefty price for a 13 episode series. I guess I just will never understand the people willing to pay that much extra for silly things like postcards and a garish looking tote bag that seems to announce to the world you're an anime fan in all the wrong ways. Is there really that much use that can be gained out of those things? Oh well, the standard edition will be my way to go if I decide to give this series another shot. Watched the first episode back when the show premiered and didn't care for it much but the trailer is making me think I might've jumped the gun.
Setis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Luci Christian once again as a lemony narrator. Love it!
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I guess I just will never understand the people willing to pay that much extra for silly things like postcards and a garish looking tote bag that seems to announce to the world you're an anime fan in all the wrong ways.

I can somewhat agree. But my new policy is to buy limited editions if something like a soundtrack is exclusively availible (ex:fate/zero), hardcover books similar to the Garden of Sinners Blu-Ray box that I got, or its something that has beautiful box art.

But there being sold for the purpose of pleasing the hardcore fans of the show which I humbly accept, but since even watching fruits basket with dislike I still don't see an above decent premise to enjoy IMO. Dub-wise I did not like Laura Bailey in fruits basket and seeing Tia in this show seems great but her voice squeels all over the place in tones that fit different characters that don't seem to belong in the show she is acting, must be due to directing from what I hear. I'm dissapointed to think that Vic is not voicing that furry fox which is instead voiced by wierd J. Tatum.

For the love of god get some music that is not only plausible with the show (like the O.S.T of it!?) but that does not overpower the sound of the voiced track volume/noise wise. Hell, I can make better music editing than this IMO.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, FUNimation is really going all out for this. I like that they're experimenting with releases like that, though I don't have any particular interest in this title.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good but a 130 bucks for all that stuff would be nice but its to rich for me blood
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not getting a good first impression on the dub so far, but it could just be the trailer. I can't recall any role that Tia Ballard was in, so I was curious about her role as Nanami. However, she barely talked at all in this so I can't even tell if I'll like her role. Tomoe, on the other hand, sounds fine but it seems like J. Michael Tatum has strained his voice for this role. Maybe it's just my hearing, but he doesn't sound quite as deep as he does for roles like Kyoya from Ouran High School Host Club or Kraft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
For those worried about the price, RightStuf is selling it right now at a significant discount of $77.99.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/WO=j4JdKc2Rf6-d1fR/browse/item/100848/4/0/0
iCards

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Not bad rightstuf. Too bad for Funi I am not interested in this series. I wonder if they will do this with Psycho-Pass and Attack on Titan. They probably are with AoT considering the momentum it has had over the year, hopefully that one comes with an OST.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:33 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
$130 is a hefty price for a 13 episode series. I guess I just will never understand the people willing to pay that much extra for silly things like postcards and a garish looking tote bag that seems to announce to the world you're an anime fan in all the wrong ways. Is there really that much use that can be gained out of those things? Oh well, the standard edition will be my way to go if I decide to give this series another shot. Watched the first episode back when the show premiered and didn't care for it much but the trailer is making me think I might've jumped the gun.
Its $77.99 on rightstuf so its not expensive. You should take discounts in consideration. This release is on par with a Japan release that would cost hundreds of dollars. Its a collectors dream which doesn't appeal to you. What's there not to understand.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Its $77.99 on rightstuf so its not expensive. You should take discounts in consideration.

Its a collectors dream which doesn't appeal to you. What's there not to understand.

define the subjective term expensive. $77.99 is good in my wallet standards but as he/she stated, $130 or $77 does not help with what he/she sees to be just a plastic pin, postcards with low decent artwork, flimsey booklet, and a bad looking tote bag that looks like it should be given for free at the nearest kroger. Overall, I really like the design of the box. And you could have reworded that last statement since it sounds a bit rude in my eyes which I will summarize in my terms.
"People have different opinions that they take lightly or seriously. What's there not to understand."

If you were not meaning to be rude then I apalogize, but your response was delivering a different view in my opinion.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Its $77.99 on rightstuf so its not expensive. You should take discounts in consideration. This release is on par with a Japan release that would cost hundreds of dollars. Its a collectors dream which doesn't appeal to you. What's there not to understand.

clearly you didn't read my whole post otherwise you wouldn't have missed:

Quote:
Oh well, the standard edition will be my way to go if I decide to give this series another shot.

Besides, my qualms lie less with the price and more with what the additional cash is going towards: post cards, a tote, a fan, and a hair ornament. None of those things scream shell out an additional $80 (or I guess an extra $20 now that rightstuf is selling the LE on a discount) to me, but then again perhaps I just don't understand collectors who do see those things as worth it. And please do not mention the Japanese market. This is not Japan, ergo Japanese prices are irrelevant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1