• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Date A Live (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (OVA 1)

Oh, that was funny. Shido trying to spoiler[do a terrible date] was great, the spoiler[purposely terrible decisions] reminded me of course reminded me of the current airing Noucome, all we needed was a big "erabe", we need a crossover. I am not on team Origami, but she is just too funny when used in the deadpan way that she is not affected, and seeing her meet them. Laughing I was shouting at my computer that he would be able to choose number 3.

I can understand Tohka getting a phone might be a step for her. But where did she get a spoiler[grenade] from?

And the ED seemed to sound like the ED from episode one, Hatsukoi Winding Road, which I found hilarious then and now for how disinterested it sounds. Mayhaps part of the extended version. The OP is always awesome, and the talk at the beginning of it, "I can't stop the loneliness.", lol.

Only down side, not enough Kurumi, we definitely need more of her. There is another season coming, so yay.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize how much I missed Origami until I saw this OVA, She's just too amazing! I felt so bad for her though :/ spoiler[Especially when she tried so many times to get Shido that bear (compare how the machine is supposed to be to how messy Origami made it with her multiple attempts),] I especially loved the ending though. spoiler[When Origami gave him the bear,] I was "Oh, that's kind of cute" and then when she spoiler[smiled and said they could match now,] I immediately went "Aaaaaaaawwwwwwwww! Too CUte!!!" (Which is something I rarely do). Great OVA. It has me looking forward to the next season.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
what the hell was up with Tohka's voice?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
OK, I just caught up to this and I must say its been a mixed bag.

I am beginning to believe that mecha + magic girl + harem is just never going to mix well. DAL is a good example of a salad with just too many ingredients.

As far as male leads for a harem are concerned, I think Shido is actually far less tiresome than average. Compare him with that dolt from Infinite Stratos (Season 2). At least Shido attempts to drive the romantic story now and then rather than just being dragged along.

Maybe a little better than decent, but not much more.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
What, I am the first to talk about second season?

Season 2, Episode 1

Laughing Oh great to have some Origami, no other harem member is like her. Mixed with Date A Live's mix of comedy and drama from a spoiler[terrible soap opera], and it is a good return episode. Also Kurumi will still be involved so good, some hint towards her motive.

I am guessing from the preview that Shido is going to start his tough challenge of spoiler[charming twins].
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Once again we learn that the force that will lead to the destruction of humanity is spoiler[television].

So far s2 is more of the same, but in a good way. I'm looking forward to the next ep because I've spoiler[been interested in those two] since the OVA. Looks like the overall plot will come to more focus this time too.

Oh, Shido, you poor poor son of a...
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Laughing Oh great to have some Origami, no other harem member is like her.

I didn't expect her to take off her panties like that. And she be trolling poor Tohka.

I have to say that I am more than a little tired of anime like this that drives all the action, drama and comedy from having the male harem lead (in this case Shido) being a total idiot over the most obvious things.

Oh well I guess that just comes with the territory.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
I spotted Kurumi!!! *puts on a grin*

The first episode was kinda meh imo, at least the first half. The drama felt out of place and cheesy. I did enjoy some aspects of the humor though but it's probably something I'll forget easily. spoiler[The PV indicates the arrival of not one but two new characters]. This should be fun, hopefully.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:52 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

Yoshinon also get an introduction in the OP, Yoshinon has good appearances, like spoiler[spinning around Tohka's head]. Also funny at Tohka's idea and how she got worried over Origami actually agreeing with her.

About the new girls, well the reason they seem to fight a lot is really that that despite their difference in lack of spoiler[showing emotion or bumbles around], they are really similar, neither is actually stronger than the other. One just seemed to act out the idea first while the other waited to respond, and probably had really similar ideas. I wonder if there will be a point that they could stop spoiler[having to fuse if Shido supresses their powers, maybe neither actually wants the other to disappear].
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Oh my god.................these two i simply can't handle. Really feel bad for Shido here.

I timed it and their arguments literally range between 1-2.5 minutes each time they go at it! At one point i couldn't help but want to scream at my monitor for them to shut the hell up!

Their insults to each other aren't even funny to top things off so this was a rather tedious episode to watch.

Also I really don't like the idea of Origami getting off scott free from what she did (i think you would get considerable jail time for something like that) but hopefully she is able to redeem herself here. She was the character i disliked the most from the first season since she was used a cheap "I'm going to get revenge for my dead parents" plot device.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first season and I am certainly still in for more of the same.

I found the first S2 episode to work out very well in tying the two seasons together in while throwing out the quick basics for those that missed out on S1 as well as setting up the upcoming arc, such a simple set up isn't always executed in many follow up seasons.

Quote:
Also I really don't like the idea of Origami getting off scott free from what she did (i think you would get considerable jail time for something like that) but hopefully she is able to redeem herself here.

It seemed Origami was either about to be sentenced for execution or an overly long Jail sentence for what effectively amounted to a an act of Treason until "Mr Evil CEO" "conveniently" walked in.
Origami got off because due to her close relationship to Shido, obviously the relationship is planned on being used so a dead or imprisoned Origami would not further Evil Corps plans if she could be utilized in the near future.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Ep 2 -

I was largely in this for the twins, and I still love them but damn did the bickering ever get old fast. The subber I saw even took some funny liberties in their dialogue but that didn't help enough. They don't annoy me nearly as much as "gross girl" whatever her name is (although it is kind of funny when her trademark line has absolutely no contextual use). Actually, I'd 50% forgive gross girl if she didn't know Japanese. But for the twins, I don't imagine they'll change their schtick any time soon. This might get painful.

I'm not much into the whole chains and collars thing. I mean, it's ok. I don't hate it and it looks great on the twins but it's not a major thing for me. But the show does get bonus points for using the sound effect. For people who are into that, that sound must've been like a dream to them.

As with last episode one of the best characters is the TV. I love it when lighthearted shows poke fun at themselves.

I will give them props tho for making twins who look so minutely different without being just copy/paste mirrors with different coloured semi-bras on. I also give the show credit for Toka's reactions in this ep. Especially in the classroom but in the bath too.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not much into the whole chains and collars thing. I mean, it's ok. I don't hate it and it looks great on the twins but it's not a major thing for me. But the show does get bonus points for using the sound effect. For people who are into that, that sound must've been like a dream to them.

Assuming the chains aesthetic had a bit more thought behind it more than "we haven't made girls with a BDSM design" the Yamai Sisters design probably is meant to invoke the nature that the creator wanted a Fuujin/Raijin aesthetic without many of the other peripherals such as several thunder drums and Oni' Horns.

Although I found it amusing, I can easily see how one girl talking like a full blown Chuunbiyou and the other speaking out lines like a tweeting Forum Troll would get very grating on viewers annoyed by such dialogue choice.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I would think viewers who are annoyed by that kind of typical otaku pandering thing quit watching Date a Live a long time ago.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I would think viewers who are annoyed by that kind of typical otaku pandering thing quit watching Date a Live a long time ago.

If Date A Live levels of otaku pandering bothers a viewer then such a viewer probably quit trying to go through contemporal anime series a LONG time ago let alone staying for a second season for more of the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12