• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Figma Hatsune Miku 2.0

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
This ... review, feels more like a biased review. I'm a FIGMA collector and I bought this figure when it was available to reserve. I got it weeks ago and hooked it up myself. It's as awesome as ever and a better design than the original. I personally love my FIGMA figure. The Nendoroid Miku 2.0, on the other hand, is a smaller figure-type which doesn't feel right that represents the actual figure of the character.

I just feel sorry for those who agree with you.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
The recently announced Snow Miku figma has a scarf around her neck, perhaps to minimize the neck issue.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-12-04/snow-miku-joins-the-figma-lineup

On the other hand, the 2011 Snow Miku Nendoroid did have a scarf as an accessory, though.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIG-MOE-02791

http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/3064/Nendoroid+Snow+Miku+Snow+Playtime+Edition.html
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The new Miku figma has much better joints all around, the legs have a better range of motion and are sculpted better. I haven't bought it but everyone I know who has one has mentioned this.
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
Some of the poses and expressions on some of the figures... don't seem right to me Shocked
I like the one with the angel wings though Very Happy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Most collectors never actually play with these, so I fail to appreciate the movable joints. I would prefer they were solid as the joints are too disfiguring.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
My bias is for quality, of course! I think this is a good opportunity to discuss what goes into the process here at the column.

I look at a huge amount of Japanese figures, and when one is underwhelming (especially, again, in a flagship position) it sticks out like a sore thumb and I'm extra hard on it. I've seen really high-quality Figmas (Princess of the Crystal, Golgo) and I hold this against those.

I'm not a Vocaloid fan, but to me this hasn't really got to do with my personal tastes. I make a point of not discussing my personal tastes re: the figures because I don't think it's relevant for me to say "I hate this, by the way" in a review where I have to tell fans if the figure is good enough for them.

I have given plenty of positive reviews to characters I don't really care for and been let down by figures of characters I love. Miku is probably my most-reviewed single character and those figures have been mostly good, a couple excellent.

Also, and this is just basic people advice: drop the phrase "I feel sorry for those who agree with you". There is no circumstance in which that will make you look good!
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Mine is still sitting at the post office, probably go get it Wednesday.

About the shoulders: Push them into the body. The new figma 2.0 body type puts the shoulders on a slider to give a better ROM. Push them in and the big gap will be gone. Max Factory posted a ton of posing tips here.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Fireball Drößel. It's a more interesting concept. Never got into the whole Miku thing. Sony is incredibly clever, but it will still be decades before they can get a piece of software to sing anything nearly as moving as Mai Yamane singing Blue. Software will not have a heart until it can feel, and I am not sure that most people want software that can think for itself.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I thought that this was a great review. Especially for a flagship model, this thing has some problems. Dat neck, dem shoulders, dem extras. Also I don't get the transparent effect that they add for stuff like hair and the angel wings. I mean I get wanting to maybe add a little at the very tips to make it look kinda wispy, but just halfway through the wings go from white to clear. It's like someone left some milk in the freezer and they ended up looking like wings. I mean this is definitely not a bad figure, but it is mediocre, and when there is a ton of Miku figures already, it doesn't give too much reason to buy one.

I still don't get the Miku fad. I have some Miku songs, there is some good music that happens to have Vocaloids, but it's just an instrument that has an anime drawing on the box. What if people freaked out and went "Holy crap! FL STUDIO! I need all FL Studio merchandise and have to own every electronic song made with FL, along with posters and figures." Eh, I guess its a fad with some staying power.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Most collectors never actually play with these, so I fail to appreciate the movable joints. I would prefer they were solid as the joints are too disfiguring.

Agreed. The only posable figure that I have is the Link figma, which I got as a gift. They did a good job making that one look natural in its moving parts, but even then I don't care too much to pose it. Really I would just like it to have one really badass pose that also doesn't require any stupid fiddling around (like with the base, the joints, making extras not fall off, etc). That's why I am pretty sure if I ever get a figure, it will be a proper scale model, kinda like this: http://images.goodsmile.info/cgm/images/product/20130626/3968/24764/large/a799c9b6f9a95168ff999cd49f561bb2.jpg
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Most collectors never actually play with these, so I fail to appreciate the movable joints..

I think that's a little sad. I like playing with toys. I do nothing BUT pose them and switch their heads around. Everyone's different though
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:
My bias is for quality, of course! I think this is a good opportunity to discuss what goes into the process here at the column.

I look at a huge amount of Japanese figures, and when one is underwhelming (especially, again, in a flagship position) it sticks out like a sore thumb and I'm extra hard on it. I've seen really high-quality Figmas (Princess of the Crystal, Golgo) and I hold this against those.

I'm not a Vocaloid fan, but to me this hasn't really got to do with my personal tastes. I make a point of not discussing my personal tastes re: the figures because I don't think it's relevant for me to say "I hate this, by the way" in a review where I have to tell fans if the figure is good enough for them.

I have given plenty of positive reviews to characters I don't really care for and been let down by figures of characters I love. Miku is probably my most-reviewed single character and those figures have been mostly good, a couple excellent.

Also, and this is just basic people advice: drop the phrase "I feel sorry for those who agree with you". There is no circumstance in which that will make you look good!

Totally my opinion, and I stand firm with it.

I feel sorry for those who agree with you. - Quoted for Truth.

Moving on.
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:08 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I still don't get the Miku fad. I have some Miku songs, there is some good music that happens to have Vocaloids, but it's just an instrument that has an anime drawing on the box. What if people freaked out and went "Holy crap! FL STUDIO! I need all FL Studio merchandise and have to own every electronic song made with FL, along with posters and figures." Eh, I guess its a fad with some staying power.

It helps to have played the (Guitar Hero-esque) Project Diva F game for PS3/Vita--
Which, as if the songs didn't already burn themselves into your head, employs rewarded repetition to burn them in further with permanent etching, and music videos to boot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iCgp4sgnh8
(Yes, Miku can be cute even when parodying Japanese prewar nationalism...)
And when you find yourself actually choosing the "Customize character costume" options for the music-video gameplay...face it, pal, you're hooked. Very Happy

Of course, with the miracle of real-time software, concert appearances aren't out of the question either. (Which has caught on with the "When will they invent Sharon Apple?" crowd)
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quote
This figure represents why I stopped buying figma. The quality seems to be hit or miss and I'm no fan of the stands they use.

The neck and shoulders on this figure is inexcusable. Considering how precise the injection molding machines can get these days, a little extra attention to detail could have easily removed the gaps.

So, did you get your delay notice on Perrine yet?

That's another issue I have with the figure industry today. The constant delays. I don't think I've had a figure released on time in the past 2 years.

With the artificial supply and demand it sets up, I can easily see myself retiring from this hobby.

Alas, I can't do so until Alter releases all the girls from Strike Witches.
Cowmuflage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow thanks for this review!

I was thinking of getting this but then they came out with that Snow Miku and I was torn between the too and I might as well just get the Snow Miku and see if I can get the first Miku 2nd hand at like AmiAmi or something.

I've always wanted a Sakura Miku Figma after seeing the Nendoroid one they did. I think it could be very pretty.

I only just recently started reading Astro toy and I've enjoyed the reviews so far so keep it up!

So again thanks for the review it has helped me out a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1