• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Legend of Game Show: A Link to the Podcast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Yep really wana play some monsterhunter... just not on a Wii U or DS
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Yo man, Sonic All-Stars Racing rules so hard.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I need to keep up on Tales of Xillia, I like the game but I keep on being distracted by other games, netflix, or Zac's stream.

The Phoenix Wright DLC is awesome, great case, fun witnesses (though Case 3 has the best witnesses), and great music. It also has the best cutscene in the opening one, beautiful sword fight, it also takes place after the second case so it goes 2->DLC->4->1->5.

The best DLC I ever bought was Saints Row 3 because I got it with the humble bundle that came with the game and all the DLC for 4 bucks along with a ton of Deep Silver games I will never ever play.
Narmanda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Telltale is working on a game based on Game of Thrones (the TV series or the novels, not sure which). I'm personally a huge fan of Boardwalk Empire, so a game based on that would be really neat.

I'm sure there are anime/manga that would make a really good TellTale game, too. It'd be interesting to know what anime others would think would make a good TT game.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
Narmanda wrote:

Telltale is working on a game based on Game of Thrones (the TV series or the novels, not sure which). I'm personally a huge fan of Boardwalk Empire, so a game based on that would be really neat.

I'm sure there are anime/manga that would make a really good TellTale game, too. It'd be interesting to know what anime others would think would make a good TT game.

Or maybe the reverse, what Telltale game would make a good anime/manga? Even Game of Thrones?
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
It was only briefly mentioned, but yeah, the Steam Machine is going to use Linux. Valve is making their own distribution of it called SteamOS. Valve has said they have been in talks with game developers and publishers to get new games to come with a Linux version.

I've never really used Linux but I'm curious how this turns out. Especially the controller which is supposed to come with every console, no matter who makes it.

iBuyPower has announced they have a Steam Machine coming, and some British company has too.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
I actually played FFXI and currently play FFXIV. I can attest it would have been better if they named them differently from the rest of the franchise numbers as well so I agree with Zac on that! They are different from one another though so calling it 11-2 wouldn't have been accurate. Not even the same world or lore, etc. but I totally understand why he said it.

Haven't bought either XBox One or PS4 though I will be getting a PS4 next year at some point. I prefer them taking out the bugs and whatnot and come up with a slimmer version. Everytime I bought a new gen system out of the gate it was bulky and didn't upgrade well. This time I'm waiting. Not getting the Xbox this time around though, I play a lot of arcades (and a bought a ton on the 360) and none transfer to the One so I'm staying on the 360 instead. Besides, I also don't have cable so none of the tv integration would even work for me since I don't have cable tv subscription and haven't for almost 5 years.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:

Haven't bought either XBox One or PS4 though I will be getting a PS4 next year at some point. I prefer them taking out the bugs and whatnot and come up with a slimmer version. Everytime I bought a new gen system out of the gate it was bulky and didn't upgrade well. This time I'm waiting.

Don't expect changes any time soon:

Why Xbox One, PS4 price cuts aren't coming until 2015

• Thanks to massively successful launches and finely tuned hardware, Sony and Microsoft have the luxury of waiting to begin dropping their prices.

Those holding out for a cheaper next-gen console come next year may need to reconsider their timeline for taking the plunge.

At launch, that demand issue is nowhere in sight. When Sony debuted the PlayStation 3 in the US in November of 2006 -- for an unappealing $599 and a year after Microsoft released its Xbox 360 -- it sold a paltry 197,000 units in the first two weeks. Sony would go on to cut the price of its console eight months later. Fast-forward seven years and the change is eye-opening: Sony sold 1 million PS4 units in under 24 hours in the US and Canada.

And it's not alone in that success. Microsoft's Xbox One launch -- albeit in 13 markets worldwide -- may not have been as strong as Sony's the week prior, but it too saw sales of more than 1 million units and far surpassed those of the Xbox 360. Both consoles are now sold out at all major retailers.

While these launches have been a celebratory moment for the regaining health of console gaming, the one issue all fence-sitting consumers must now grapple with is when to make the next-gen dive. Unfortunately, because Sony and Microsoft have had such blockbuster launches this time around, it's very unlikely the Xbox One or PS4 will see a discount at the usual six- to eight-month mark favored by makers of struggling systems.

All of this illustrates that when it comes to the PS4 and Xbox One, we're seeing two of the most well-received console launches in gaming history. Both systems' midnight events went off without a hitch; day one sales clocked more than 1 million units; and each platform is offering consumers improved hardware and software at a more reasonable price point than the previous generation. To call the launches and Sony and Microsoft's preparedness for their respective moments successful would be an understatement.

Granted, Sony is grappling with thousands of units -- less than 1 percent of PS4s it claims -- that are experiencing what users call a "blue light of death" during startup, while Microsoft has just publicly acknowledged a disc drive issue that it's aiming to quickly snuff out. But those issues are easily addressable and nowhere near the disasters with the Xbox 360's "red ring of death" hardware failure and the shortage crunch Sony ran into with its PS3 launch.

Even Microsoft with its Xbox One at its higher price point of $499.99 is not projected to make a drastic move with regards to price if it can even remotely keep up with Sony's cheaper alternative.

Of course, that doesn't discount the possibility of a retailer price drop in the realm of 10 percent. That's happened before with the PS3 and Xbox 360 as soon as four months after launch, and will likely come from major players like BestBuy and Walmart rather than from more gamer-oriented retailers like GameStop.

"Retailers will use certain products to drive traffic," Sebastian noted of major retailer discounts. "That's very different than an MSRP cut. Next holiday we can expect these consoles to be at the same price," he added.
daveriley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
I actually played FFXI and currently play FFXIV. I can attest it would have been better if they named them differently from the rest of the franchise numbers as well so I agree with Zac on that! They are different from one another though so calling it 11-2 wouldn't have been accurate. Not even the same world or lore, etc. but I totally understand why he said it.
Totally agree, we was just having fun. I'm actually a FFXI veteran with a couple hundred hours under my belt, and the recent Steam sale tempted me with FFXIV, but I resisted. I have a ton of great college memories of FFXI, hanging out with friends all day in the same apartment, eating donuts, and shield bashing goblins in Kazham, but the grind in FFXI was murderous and the systems were too punitive. I probably would not tolerate it now, at 31, as I did when I was 21 and playing it with 4-5 friends at a time. Making a party was great and super-fun! But we were always subbing in new friends and losing old players, so I got just about every job to around level 30, but never saw any content past Alteppa, at which point you're only at like the 3rd story mission.

I was not, however, joking about Final Fantasy X-2. That game has some of my favorite mechanics and systems.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
I don't know if Zac actually read the Fables comic, because it wasn't some 90's edgy thing. Telltale's story is being told differently from how the comic played out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1