• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I'd contest that being a plus side. As the story progresses, spoiler[Kotoko just becomes less an independent being and a significant amount of her actions start going "I want to please Irie so...". The most egregious thing ever is how she even abandons her career to become a nurse so she can be with him at college too.] Seriously what the fudge. I realize the manga is a lot older than that, but the anime writers did nothing to make Kotoko a more modern girl that could be a suitable role-model for the 21st century, she's completely dated.

While I agree with you that the decision to spoiler[become a nurse] was weird considering how much effort she had to put in a spoiler[profession she didn't even think of before, it's not like she had any real career plans to begin with, at least not anything she was passionate] about. We all know she only has spoiler[one passion] Wink.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Well I just watched Aura: Maryūinkōga Saigo no Tatakai and it was truly a fantastic movie.It first got my attention because it was written by Romeo Tanaka who wrote Humanity Has Declined and this movie was created by the same staff behind Humanity Has Declined.I accidentally thought of this title and thought that I should watch it today.I wasn't really expecting it to be as good it was,this movie has a powerful core beneath it surface and it spoke to me personally in way that not many animes do.This year seems to full of animes that deal with teen anxiety in an interesting,introspective and sometimes even brutal ways,and Aura is one of those animes.It is a story of high school student Ichiro Satou who suffered from 'adolescent delusions' throughout his middle school.As high school student he tries to fit in as much as he can but his teacher entrusts him with the care of a girl who suffers from those same delusions.First thing to mention is that ,the entire movie is very serious there is barely any comedy in here,it deals with subjects like bullying,social pressure,mundanity of everyday life,teenage suicide and escapism.Make no mistake comparing this to Chuunibyou ,it is much more similar to stuff like Flowers of Evil than it is to it.Characters are realistic and almost everyone's position good or bad is made understandable to a degree.For example our main character here is a pure conformist who would go to the degree of letting down his friend,out of pure fear of being judged by his peers.His actions are that of human being,not that of typical main character.During the course of movie he will change because of his relationship with the heroine and that is the focus of the story .I must praise Seiji Kishi,he unexpectedly nailed the tone of this show,especially one scene near the beginning of movie when Satous involvement with Ryoko(heroine) becomes known in front of the entire class.The were some technical issues like very uninteresting use of colors,bland art and poor animation.This movie was made on a budget of 3$,so the animation was at the times laughable(look at the scene with punching).I also had issues with ending of this movie,it was far too simplistic and rushed.
There is a lot more to this movie,but I cant say anything more without going into spoiler territory.But if you liked stuff like Flowers of Evil or Watamote,you really should check this out.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
As a diversion from my list of thirty-two shows that I'm watching I went ahead and started a thirty-third . . . Wangan Midnight. In fact, I finished it in just a few days. While it didn't blow me away I was very impressed by it, and the focus on the tuning side of racing was interesting. Also nice to see the older generation play a vital part, even if it was usually as (crucial) support to the whippersnappers. I got a little hooked to be honest, it was never hard to watch the next episode and I just ate them up. Some series are best watched just one episode per day or even slower, because they're either very thought-provoking or too emotionally draining. But Wangan Midnight is an example of a show which can be marathoned with little effort, and in fact is probably best watched that way.

On a side note, the type of street racing seen in the series is based off the Mid Night Club (whose name inspired the title of the original manga). They were a real-life illegal street racing club who raced on the Wangan and other highways in and around Tokyo. To think that guys actually raced at speeds of over 300KPH whilst weaving in and out of traffic is mind-boggling.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
Ah street-racing anime, if only there was more. But Japan doesn't like Hashiriya that much anymore, a movie about them was banned solely for dealing with the issue. Kind of saddening, the era of JDM has finally died out it seems. It was amazing while it lasted, though.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm near the end of watching Love Hina. Keitarō Urashima was forced to move out of his parents' home after two unsuccessful attempts at the entry exam to Tōkyō University, thus failing to uphold a guarantee that he made to a girl 15 years earlier. However, fate was on his side, as he found himself working for his aunt as manager of an all-girls dormitory.

I found this show to be a very fun watch. From feisty Kaolla, to punch-throwing Naru, to blade-wielding Motoko, Keitarō never seems to get a break from the chaotic fun that occurs at the Hinata Apartments.

My Rating: 4/5 stars.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
curiosity has gotten the better of me and I've started watching Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians now that Funimation has uploaded the English dub. I've just started ep 3, and I'm not really sure what i think about it yet. Nearly all of season 1's VA are back and they sound much better too and I'm thankful for that because season 2's dub was awful.

I'm also watching The Legend of Legendary Heroes. gotten up to episode 9 and I'm liking it. good dub
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
I just finished marathoning the first season of Rinne no Lagrange. It was okay, nothing remotely groundbreaking, but not utter trash either. Just okay. The portrayal of the relationship between the three girls, and especially Madoka and Laffinty was very cute. Does anyone know if it eventually develops into romance in the second season? If it does, it would be a good reason to watch it (something I'm lacking right now). It left a lot of loose ends, but it wasn't completely unsatisfying. Rated it Decent.

I'm also halfway through the first season of Nurarihyon no Mago. I'd dropped this a long time ago because Rikuo being a complete loser in the first few eps turned me off real bad, but I'm glad I picked it back up. Although the human side of Rikuo's life remains plain and boring, I'm really enjoying watching him own his role as Heir to the clan and I really like the character design overall. Hopefully I'll be done with it next week.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I just finished marathoning the first season of Rinne no Lagrange. It was okay, nothing remotely groundbreaking, but not utter trash either. Just okay. The portrayal of the relationship between the three girls, and especially Madoka and Laffinty was very cute. Does anyone know if it eventually develops into romance in the second season? If it does, it would be a good reason to watch it (something I'm lacking right now). It left a lot of loose ends, but it wasn't completely unsatisfying. Rated it Decent.
The relationship doesn't do a whole lot of developing in the second season, in my opinion. In fact, the second season is a lot more about the relationship that all the other people have, so if you wanted to know what was actually going on in the universe, it's interesting. I liked it a lot better, actually, because the other characters were a lot more interesting than the main three to me. But if you're only in it for the main three, I don't think I could really recommend it.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I have limited internet so streaming alot of what I was watching has become backlogged for now. However I me being at my parents house means I has access to netflix and whatever I can salvage out of the library (and there really isn't that much ) Amongst the things I've recently watched:

Kino's Journey: Episodes 1 - 5 via netflix. I've always been interested in this series from everything I've heard about it, and just my general love of adventure series and I have not been disappointed. I only wish I could get the next disc faster ecause this could easily become one of my favorite series and it will be another addition to the list of LNs I actually want to read. Kino is just how I like my smart series: actually being smart and having characters I actually like (even if it's literally only two...could have been 3 but...you know) and I don't mind re-watching it either, I saw the first two episodes on hulu but I rewatched the disc twice just be sure I could get everything the sereis had to offer in its stories.

Genshikin:Episodes 1-4. I am really unsure about this one...should I keep watching the anime or just go ahead to read the manga? As for the series itself, I like it though it's definetly kind of odd and purposefully awkward. I have a soft spot for slice of lifes that tackle the otaku culture in this maner and I'm very eager to continue, though I'm just not sure on what format...

Amongst the other things I have (ATM) I have My neighbor Totoro, Escaflone the movie (I have a bad feeling about this one for some reason), 5cm per second and Paprika.
HoshiNoMiko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently watching The Legend of the Legendary Heroes because it's one of the only things that plays properly on my Netflix -_- I actually don't mind it all that much, but getting deeper into it things are kind of getting fuzzy and confusing. Maybe I'm just slow, but there's a lot of plot lines with nobility and scheming all over the place - I know I'm going to have to go back and re-watch a bunch of it. I'm kind of worried about reaching the ending too, I read on the review on this site that the ending doesn't really answer a lot of questions that come up... However, for what it's worth the characters are pretty fun and it's peaked enough curiosity in me that I want to stick it out to the end.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
HoshiNoMiko,

Sad to say, but LotLH is more of an introduction to the main story than the main story itself. It establishes the world and the characters, and builds things to the point we see at the end of the series (which I won't spoil for you). You can see how they reached that point, but the issues which are brought up as the series progresses aren't answered -- there is no catharsis or resolution.

I think it's a great story, and I really wanted to see the whole thing animated... to see how it concludes. AFAIK, the light novels which the anime is based on never finished the story. So, as often happens with anime (far too often for my tastes), it just sort of ends.

As you said, the characters are interesting, and I like the world-building going on. The things that happen in the series *do* make sense, but you will have to watch it again, while paying close attention, to get most of it. You might want to consider checking out the Wikipedia page after you're done watching it the first time. That should help somewhat (obviously, it contains a lot of spoilers).

I think that LotLH is pretty underrated, but *some* of that is its own fault (the title being one of those reasons as well).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the midst of watching We Without Wings - Under the Innocent Sky. In this show stars three different males living in the city of Yanagihara experiencing three different situations and having differing relations of other people.

The first few episodes of this show is laden with many fanservice moments, but they become less frequent as the show progresses. I find the concept of seeing the differing lives of the starring characters and moving from one scene to an entirely different one to be a fun watch, as I'm constantly kept interested in seeing how they all play out to their end. Plus, the eccentric moments between each scene left me with some good laughs.

My Rating: 4/5 stars.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
The first few episodes of this show is laden with many fanservice moments, but they become less frequent as the show progresses.

Make sure your seatbelt is clicked in and brace yourself for a certain upcoming scene.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching the whole Aria trilogy. The last part was the best one, since it was the dramatic culmination of everything that happened before. I would certainly put the whole series and it's 53 episodes as one of those anime people should watch before they die. Rated the first two seasons as very good and the last one as excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
I'm halfway through From the New World right now, and so far, I'm loving every minute of it. I've been meaning to check this out when it aired, but somehow, it slipped through. I love the pace, the music, the world building, the writing, the setting, everything about it. It's delightfully subtle at times, but never leaves too many things unanswered at the same time. My engagement while watching has been more on the analytical than emotional side of things so far, but I don't see that as a problem in my enjoyment. I seriously hope the anime will keep up this level in it's second half.

It seems Masashi Ishihama does not have that many director's credits yet. Masashi Sogo wrote for Gantz, Full Metal Panic, and Bleach before, which is rather intresting to see, I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 792 of 1061