• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Thing About My Dokes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
More Madoka?

I want them to animate To the Stars, at least so we can see the Battle of Epsilon Eridani, when the Magical Girls revealed themselves in humanity's darkest hour.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
More Madoka?

I want them to animate To the Stars, at least so we can see the Battle of Epsilon Eridani, when the Magical Girls revealed themselves in humanity's darkest hour.

Are you seriously advocating fanfic?

Really? We get it, you like TTS, stop posting it in every Madoka thread.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
More Madoka?

Are you seriously advocating fanfic?

Really? We get it, you like TTS, stop posting it in every Madoka thread.

I think its a really good fanfic. And he asked if I wanted more Madoka.

I want to see Homura tanking an orbital laser canon blast. Is that so wrong?

(but seriously, its a really good fanfic, with exceptionally good worldbuilding about a post-scarcity society, AI as sentients and what the line is between a human and an AI. Among other such speculative fiction things. It also happens to take place in the Madoka Magica universe)
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Wait... did I just read someone complaining about a popular IP churning out merchandise to make a profit?

*edit* Something to mention, I just watched Desolation of Smaug and I got a hilarious reaction out of my father from spoiler[watching the blatant sequel bait for the final film as it cuts to Smaug flying off to be a VERY bad dragon] there is a potential that people may be more annoyed that the movie ends on a cliffhanger than what the cliffhanger itself means (of course people could be pissed off by BOTH, but that is still being peeved with the movie).
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Wait... did I just read someone complaining about a popular IP churning out merchandise to make a profit?

It would seem like complaining about the redundant if it were any other series, likely. You must tread lightly around Madoka because it has a reputation for being worth more than the sum of its merchandising... so when they start acknowledging and taking advantage of its commercial success at the risk of its well-reputed story, it's no wonder people are going to freak.

That said, I think Mike should go read the review and posts in the review (maybe some random posts on random pages). They might offer some insight on his own feelings, as well as everyone else's, and either redeem or confirm his own experience with the movie. The movie doesn't downright destroy the meaning of the original series, nor does the "reset" actually reverse much of anything. Each "reversal" or "reset" always seems to more or less add to the characters themselves, and this movie is no different, nor do I expect the future of the series to have to re-introduce and/or re-characterize these characters from zero.

Not to mention, the outside material we have already helps explain the unfortunate (or fortunate?) events in production leading up to why this movie ended how it did and who was truly calling the shots this time around.
NuGaiNM7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I myself would be perfectly happy with an OVA side story called Mami Gaiden, where the character drinks tea and complains to the viewer about the finer points of arquebus maintenance.

...So, Taiga Dojo? Cause goddamn it, I love me some more Taiga Dojo! Smile
KeikakuKat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, to answer your question Mike, do I want MORE?
I know Urobuchi is clearly tapped out and isn't going to do any more, and I'm worried about the quality of the series without him. But whether or not I WANT more, I know they're going to MAKE more anyway, and I'm sure to watch it, so I'll just hope for the best.
Madoka Magica is still my favorite anime, and I can't exactly complain about all the merchandise they've been making. I've been buying most of it, lol.
I'm not getting that super-expensive "Premium" box Aniplex has now with the bandanas and such, but I HAVE spent that much on Dokes merchandise before. I'm THIS close to having figures of all the characters.
In short, I love me some Dokes, I know they're making more, I'm gonna buy the hell out of it, I just hope it's GOOD.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I love the Dokes! I've probably spent a good $750 on merchandise since '11. Recently I've placed and order for a JP set of the TV anime discs...the time had come to upgrade my collection! I could not buy the TV anime as it was being released because of other obligations (that and the exchange rate was too piss poor to be importing multiple shows).

edit: wow the audience at your showing calmed down when the movie started? Lucky! The audience at my showing talked throughout the entire time I was there (mostly a group in the far back with a girl that had a squeaky voice and knew a few Japanese words) my girlfriend and I couldn't take it and left after 20 minutes or so. It was impossible to pay attention with all the random words being yelled, shrieking, and other distracting crap that was going on. It was the most rowdy and ill mannered group of movie goers I've ever seen. I ended up buying the movie BDs so all is good.

Last edited by luffypirate on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
irishninja

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I would totally watch Mami Gaiden, no matter how bad it was... assuming she survived the series, of course.

Crying or Very sad

I always enjoy your column, Mike, but this is probably my favorite of all your articles. My friends and I have all adopted the "Dokes" nickname you popularized, and we are endlessly amused by the people who get upset by it. Well done!

Wink
docsane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Dokes Ponies, huh?

I'll just leave this here and walk away quietly.

Don't click if you're sick of MLP/anime jokes.
nechronius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This results is an engrossing, close-range fight scene with Mami; the only problem is, two combatants using firearms from a distance of about twelve feet just kept making me think of this iconic gun battle.

Not Naked Gun. Equilibrium.

Kurt Wimmer coined the term "Gun Kata" that was first seen in the 2002 movie Equilibrium. Not a great movie by any stretch as it was primarily very derivative, but it still did properly introduce the world to this form of close combat. This is especially true of the final battle involving two characters standing within punching distance of each other, swatting away each others' guns.

Most of it is BS of course, but it does have enough of an air of plausibility to make it exciting to watch.

The 2004 anime series Grenadier also heavily borrowed from this and in typical Japanese style took it up to another level featuring a gun reloading style that was just... Anyway, the Grenadier final battle may as well have been rotoscoped sequences from the Equilibrium finale, but with the addition of massive breast reloads.

Anyway, the Dokes third movie is clearly a direct derivative of the Equilibrium style of gun play with its own twist. Yea, Dokes, I like that.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of it is BS of course, but it does have enough of an air of plausibility to make it exciting to watch.

Who cares if it's utterly implausible? It's fiction.

These's these two things called "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" and "Internal Consistency".
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I unfortunately haven't gotten to see Rebellion yet. I'm in Columbus and bought tickets to see it in Cleveland, which I had to cancel because we got hit by an ice storm. A second time has been added in Cleveland yet again, but I'm not really comfortable paying $15 again when I have a 2 hour drive to get to the theater when we've been getting snow and ice storms every weekend lately. Not quite sure why my city hasn't been added when we had the first 2 movies played here and the theater was packed. Seriously Aniplex, Columbus is central Ohio, meaning it's ideal for most of the state to get to it instead of in the Antarctic wasteland that is Cleveland.

I don't really mind the milking of the franchise that much, it's a given. Gainax essentially turned that sort of thing into an art form with EVA and I think Attack on Titan might be beating Madoka in terms of ridiculous merchandise now. I personally only collect BDs and figures, so I don't plop down that much on any single series. If they keep making continuations and one or more of them bomb, whatever, the original series is still great.

I'm not really okay with Aniplex's prices on the series, but I've been an anime fan for 20 years so I'm no stranger to paying high prices. I did essentially double dip on the series by buying the import of the first 2 movies on BD, but that was due to having bought the series on DVD because I hadn't had a blu ray player at the time. I definitely won't buy the even newer set since that'd be a little extreme. I love Madoka but not enough to buy it 3 times.

Aniplex's prices definitely make me more choosey over which titles of their's I pick up. I'll only pick their series up if it's something I absolutely love. Thus far Madoka and the new not $300 sets of Fate/Zero are the only things I've bought from them. I'd like Blue Exorcist, but I don't like it enough to plop down the extra cash on it. And I'll definitely be picking up the second version of Kill la Kill they eventually release, because I won't pay for the inevitable $600+ import sets.
nechronius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Who cares if it's utterly implausible? It's fiction.

These's these two things called "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" and "Internal Consistency".

Which is why I watch and enjoy cartoons after all these years. But the point about the Gun Kata is that they try to give it a feeling of being "real" by extending certain principles about gun handling. Equilibrium despite its lukewarm ratings is still among my favorite popcorn movies and wished more people had given it a chance.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't see a problem with merchandising as long as the original work remains good.

Now, if they try to drag Madoka out endlessly, that's a problem, but why would they? EVA is still crazy strong and only had one movie and a series of recap movies. They could make only, say, another movie/season of Madoka and I guarantee that 15 years later they'd still be making merch.

I don't see Madoka becoming a franchise zombie or anything similar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4