• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arpeggio of Blue Steel (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I agree with y'all - great eppie. I still really don't understand Takao's devotion to Gunzou, but there you have it. For some reason, this is one of those anime where I'm feeling like I should check out the manga.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I agree with y'all - great eppie. I still really don't understand Takao's devotion to Gunzou, but there you have it. For some reason, this is one of those anime where I'm feeling like I should check out the manga.

I've read the manga, I think the pictures' quality isn't good. It's bad.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:27 am Reply with quote
I guess I'd check out some scanlations first, but I'd be more interested in the story than the images in any case. They'd have to be pretty eye-bleeding for me to scotch it solely on that basis.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Ep 11, Starts with some comedy, closes with a contextual drama, this is set up for the final scheduled episode and it works out well enough.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Yay spoiler[Takao is still alive.] Poor Iona had spoiler[to watch her sisters die.] Also that cliffhanger. It looks like spoiler[Kongou now] has a mini Death Star.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Yay spoiler[Takao is still alive.] Poor Iona had spoiler[to watch her sisters die.] Also that cliffhanger. It looks like spoiler[Kongou now] has a mini Death Star.

A comment I read on CR made me chuckle about that as well. It's a good thing my favorite spoiler[tsundere cruiser] is back. Awesome.

The battle was okay I guess although spoiler[Gonzou's strategy prevailing was somewhat predictable.] I loved the way how all the Fog ships unites together including Teddy Bear Kirishima!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Well it is good to see that spoiler[Takao is not dead, she can appear through the ship's communication and stuff], which looked pretty cool. The feint was rather funny.

So Iona had to spoiler[watch her sisters die, which saved her from sinking], but at the same time seemed to show that spoiler[they too were showing some signs of defying logic]. And now not only are they about to spoiler[face the American Fog, and Kongo has fused with what was Maya and is now a giant flying ball that has it in for Iona].

for whatever reason I have mostly skipped this show's OP, probably as I have felt rushed on Tuesdays, but it is a nice watch
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11.
spoiler[
RIP I-400 and I402.
And Kongou become the Death Star.
I hope we can see the American Fog ships mental models next week.]

You know,spoiler[ this might be the first time the American Fleet of Fog has appear since they haven't been introduced yet in the manga.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Series complete, this is a worthwhile watch for the quasi naval battles that turn into danmaku laser light shows.

This was one of the bigger surprises for me this season, the 3d animation style more than grew for my appreciation and I hope this anime gets a second, and if it doesn't that is fine too as it ends at a decent point as well.

spoiler[and I got a decent chuckle over the "remember the first time we met" joke.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
The battle was okay I guess but damn, Iona sure can move quick on her feet! I think Kongou is going to have to think long and hard about what happened recently in her life.spoiler[ Ah, it wasn't the perfect 'carnival' for her after all in the end I guess.]

On another note, the English in this episode was really good ;ospoiler[. But that means they made it to the U.S! Nice. Takao is also back] too so I guess she can finally show Gonzou her engine room Laughing

Rating this as good. Hoping for a second season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
So the finale turn from a naval battle series to a shounen action series. Laughing

spoiler[Anyway, nice battle between Iona and Kongou.
Iona manages to calm Kongou and she leaves the I-401 to their journey to San Diego Naval base.
The US Navy finally gets the vibration torpedo.
Takao has her body back. (Yeah!)
And humanity has chance to fight back.]

Since the anime ended with an original ending, i hope for another adaptation that is close to manga. The anime was great especially since i'm a manga reader.

PS: This episode End Card is by the author of Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Ark Performance! And it features all of the mental models that have so far appeared in the manga! May those mental models (I know all of their names.) appear in another anime adaptation that follows the manga storyline.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
And the series closes out with yet another pretty impressive episode. Although I won't rate this as a great series overall, I've only seen one other series this season which has had a stronger final third.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
So the finale turn from a naval battle series to a shounen action series. Laughing

Felt more like a magical girl battle to me. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

So in the final episode Kongou has lost it, spoiler[taking an entire fleet that should assumable be her allies], and being strong to the point that spoiler[it is clear she does not plan to get out]. They were a bit shocked that Maya spoiler[was apparently used as parts], would have liked Kongou explain to them the deal with Maya. But in the end we get some cool fight like scenes of Iona getting to Kongou, she did not even need witch time to jump spoiler[off missiles.] It was rather touching and all, I could not help but feel good as Iona spoiler[comforted the crying Kongou].

In some ways I could think right now that this series was really good, but then I remember that the beginning of this series was kind of... not too great, it has just gotten really good over the last few episodes. The animation I think was a real winner with how it was almost entirely cg, and in general hit most of the right notes with the naval battles. The characters (mostly mental models) grew onto me too. I will give the series a Good based on my overall feeling, but later episodes were definitely a step above.

"Maya, lets start the carnival."
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
So i just bought the first Blueray bundle with episodes 1 and 2.

I have to say this anime looks really good in blueray the ship battles look almost movie quality and the characters facial features look great.

Sadly the stiff character movement is still there which is one of the only grips i had with the show. But it's less noticeable here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10