• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Buddy Complex Anime's Web Ad Posted

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm not a big fan of the character designs, but damn that voice cast is amazing. Uchiyama and Matsuoka as the leads? Yes please.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait. I'm ready for some robot action.

I like the theme music in the trailer too.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
If you ever thought that VVV was a little gay... well... here's Buddy Complex to blow that one out of the water. Sunrise's really going for the crowd, aren't they?
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Not I have anything against Mecha shows. However....Woah, isn't bit too similar to Valvrave the Liberator? Coming off the heels of other one?

I means aide not sucking the memories of the pilot of the head and being on the oceans instead of land. It seems to be similar in alot ways to Valvrave.

What the heck.
Pangea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Too much of this mecha bulls#hit with an extremely boring & typical shounen male lead.
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
It's a "traditional robot action" anime by sunrise, so no its not going to use gimmicks or flashy art to get you to watch it. It's going to focus more on action scenes, most likely. Just like the recent Majestic Prince, which had some great fight scenes but also got flak for being to cliche. Too bad for the people who missed out on it...I thought it was great
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I love how you guys are like "Aw crap, another gay robot show" and meanwhile I'm sitting here shipping Bizon over there with A-drei from Valvrave (because look who the voice actor is!)

Also those uniforms for Bizon's squad. Wow, those are great.
jet_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Man the prejudice against mecha these days in the community is absolutely brutal and pretty much the communities loss IMO.

Everybody loved Majestic Prince, and Build Fighter is well received.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Pangea wrote:
Too much of this mecha bulls#hit with an extremely boring & typical shounen male lead.

Yes clearly this is the problem plaguing the anime scene right now and everything would be so much better if those stupid gay mecha toy show commercials all just went away. Jesus christ...like do you people look at the things you are posting or do you really just not care how ridiculous you types look sometimes. So bloody ignorant.

I like how you took Pangea's comment, blew it out of proportion and then used the good old "you people" and "so ignorant" phrases to strengthen.. whatever it is you're trying to say.
When someone says that they're tired of mecha having boring and typical shounen male leads, they're not saying that it's a "problem plaguing the anime scene right now and everything would be so much better if those stupid gay mecha toy show commercials all just went away".
Stop putting words in peoples mouths.

Also, I agree with Pangea.
There needs to be more mecha series with female leads.
LaSean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The uniform designs look like a cross of Gundam and Code Geass uniforms. One of the characters uniform especially looks like its from Geass.

Quote:
The story will revolve around the friendship and coming-of-age of two boys

Reminds me of Kira and Athrun relationship from Gundam SEED and I hate that show and its protagonist so I will be skipping this one.
Pangea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:

Finally someone here that understands me! thanks Jet.

It's like the producers are too afraid to stray away from this apparently "safe concept" they have with all these shounen animes.

Hmm what main character should we have in this mecha?
I don't know.. oh I know, lets go with shounen "type 67" or something.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
only in anime where 16-year-olds get opportunities in those important positions. I wish US would get some 16-18 years old kids to handle our nuclear weapons.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:

Why though? Like what difference does it make? What should matter is if the show and cast overall is good or not, not the gender of the main focus character. If that's all that matter you can check out Sora Kake Girl, Rinne no Lagrange, Diebuster, Infinite Stratos, Strike Witches, Sky Girls etc, but I wouldn't really classify any of them other than Diebuster as particularly great mecha/sci-fi anime.

I seriously don't know why some people are so fixated on this idea, it's not the first time I've seen it but I don't know why it's so bloody important considering just how many anime out there are kind of dominated by female cast members any way. This recent wave of butthurt over anything deemed too "shonen" I'm seeing from the internet is also really bizarre. Where do people get these focus points that they cling to so mightily. It's like the laziest way of pigeonholing stuff and writing it off without even thinking about it too hard. Like oh this looks too shonen, must mean it'll be shit. There's just something really hipster about it all.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Straight white male thinks that its not necessary to have more female protagonists.

Details at 11.

(also this show looks sooooo bland and uninteresting. Maybe I'll manage to care when it shows up in SRW. Until then, meh)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

only in anime where 16-year-olds get opportunities in those important positions. I wish US would get some 16-18 years old kids to handle our nuclear weapons.

Nooooooo! It's not believable. Laughing

(Besides, you'd just get Joshua on the other line wanting to play a game.)
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Straight white male thinks that its not necessary to have more female protagonists.

Details at 11.

(also this show looks sooooo bland and uninteresting. Maybe I'll manage to care when it shows up in SRW. Until then, meh)

I don't know where people are getting this idea that anime doesn't have enough female protagonists. Considering this show even appears to have one and she's shown in the robot piloting it at one point during the trailer after all. Yeah it's not the focus character by the looks of it but like literally who the fudge cares besides butthurt weird anime nerds. I bet you can find like a dozen other shows with outright female main characters this upcoming season if it really matters that much to you which apparently it really does. I personally choose to base my impression of anime on actually watching the show and not stupid criteria so...yeah.....

Anyway if your attitude was even remotely different from what most people show towards mecha anime nowadays or anything deemd "shonen" I'd have more to say, but nope, typical prejudgment post about an upcoming mecha show complete with self-fulfilling prophecy. Typical Fencedude post really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4