• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yowamushi Pedal (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I know that this is a sports shounen anime and that characters will naturally overreact to literally EVERYTHING but..............i think this anime is just going overboard with it.

Heck even Ace of Diamond is more subtle about it. Here characters act like they are about to have a dayum heart attack just because their team managed to catch up in rather unimportant race. And now we have characters with freaky personalities that you'd see in some fantasy, action type of anime or something which just takes you right out of the immersion (to me it does anyway).

It also doesn't help that the animation just WAY to inconsistent. The majority of the time characters have their upper torsos animated while their lower torsos are CG. I didn't mind this but for some reason at times they will make the characters ALL CG and it just looks like crap. As much as i'd appreciate it for them to be all animated i suppose that would be a rather unrealistic wish.

If only Kyoanimation could animate ALL sports anime...........if only.
bllanosr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

If only Kyoanimation could animate ALL sports anime...........if only.

Yes, if only. All the yaoi fangirls would explode with that thought.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

It also doesn't help that the animation just WAY to inconsistent. The majority of the time characters have their upper torsos animated while their lower torsos are CG. I didn't mind this but for some reason at times they will make the characters ALL CG and it just looks like crap. As much as i'd appreciate it for them to be all animated i suppose that would be a rather unrealistic wish.

Isn't CG already a form of animation?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

Technically yes but animation (like the type Kyoanimation uses) is hand drawn primarily giving it a fresh off the paper feel while CGI is simply computer simulated which takes far less time and effort to pull off.

Just check out the jpop song for Kyoukai no Kanata vs any love live music video or dokidoki precure ending.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Philmister978 wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

Technically yes but animation (like the type Kyoanimation uses) is hand drawn primarily giving it a fresh off the paper feel while CGI is simply computer simulated which takes far less time and effort to pull off.

I dunno, CGI's actually much harder than it looks.

It only looks easy because it usually turns out looking so cheap (this also applies to most live action CG-fests and NA animation).
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
It would cost too much and take to long to use cell animation. For the same reason they used CG in Initial D.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
It would cost too much and take to long to use cell animation. For the same reason they used CG in Initial D.

That's one reason I can see (and understand). But then again, CG isn't all that cheap either.

Cheaper than hand-drawn animation sure, but you still need to spend a pretty penny for it.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
It's vastly cheaper. Once you have the models you only need one person to animate it. And they could probably even design a program to make the characters pedal at the exact cadences required by the story, in which case they'd need even less time.

FWIW, South Park is computer animated and it only takes two week to make an episode. A hand-drawn show typically takes well over four months.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
FWIW, South Park is computer animated and it only takes two week to make an episode. A hand-drawn show typically takes well over four months.

Hand-drawn episodes take up to nine months to complete, but South Park episodes are done within the week preceding their respective broadcasts.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

Actually it's just one week - the week before broadcast.

And that's just the whole episode - writing, animation, voices, etc.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Banken wrote:

Hand-drawn episodes take up to nine months to complete, but South Park episodes are done within the week preceding their respective broadcasts.

Yes...that's what I said...hehehe

An episode of Family Guy or The Simpsons is something like $2-4 million to make, an episode of South Park supposedly costs $200,000. Even if you take out the huge salaries of the voice casts for The Simpsons, it still costs several times as much to make an episode, and that's not even considering that the hand-drawn ones are outsourced to Korea, while IIRC South Park is still made in the US.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Training camp time!
Onoda was totally ROFL with his motion sickness.
That kid really is hopeless sometimes..
It's always nice to see new characters ^^
That Manami looks like a great guy.
Damn, their training regime is pretty brutal.
Well, if it gives them results..]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, by Manami's reckoning, he'd think I'm a cyclist too! Very Happy

Actual brand names in the vending machine! It's rare not to see something like Pocapi Sweet or Netscafe.

Never mind, just talking to myself here...
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
Riding that sort of distance in a day would require several days of downtime to get the soreness out of the muscles. Doing 1000 km in four days would be insane. That's some pro-level craziness.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
^
It's not the distance that's the killer, it is the changes that were made to their bikes. A thousand kilometres without being able to change gear would be nothing short of torture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 30