• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Flamenco (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I am supposed to dislike King Torture, but Sho Hayami's has probably the most noble and dignified-sounding voice I have heard, ever.

So how can I hate this character?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

So how can I hate this character?

The same way we "hate" Batman.

Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
I don't see how people can't say that it drastically changed against what seemed plausible. It is like Robocop suddenly showing up in Servant x Service. The series had a remote controlled rabbit and they are civil servants, but why is there suddenly a cyborg shooting people who don't follow the law?

Imma assume you meant to say ED-209 and not refer to Robocop as if he was a T-800, Alex Murphy's sense of duty and doing the greater good was still present when he was reborn as the cyborg Robocop.

Well my knowledge of Robocop is actually pretty poor. But he has a gun so he must shoot bad guys, right?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
I don't see how people can't say that it drastically changed against what seemed plausible. It is like Robocop suddenly showing up in Servant x Service. The series had a remote controlled rabbit and they are civil servants, but why is there suddenly a cyborg shooting people who don't follow the law?

Imma assume you meant to say ED-209 and not refer to Robocop as if he was a T-800, Alex Murphy's sense of duty and doing the greater good was still present when he was reborn as the cyborg Robocop.

Well my knowledge of Robocop is actually pretty poor. But he has a gun so he must shoot bad guys, right?

The concept of Robocop is that it is supposed to be the "near future", so in a way Robocop popping out in a fictional contemporal setting isn't far fetched in a comedy series unless the tone is trying to take the appearance of Robocop seriously instead of a scene gag.

That said, I think the factor of weather or not the audience is invested in the main cast is a noteworthy factor on weather or not the viewer is on for the "crazy train" that is SF.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Okay this show has gone completely insane. But i was entertained and smiled through all the insanity lol.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Alright, i'm dropping this show like a hot potato! spoiler[That was a lie. But it was a beautiful lie!Laughing] Seriously, i've given up and decided to follow this weird but fascinating mess of an anime wherever it's gonna take me. You've won, SF! I hope you are happy now...
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
This show... I can say this is definitely the biggest surprise of the season. I already thought it was fun, but now I literally have to tune in every week just to see what kind of weirdness is gonna happen next.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't...what? What in the name of logic just happened? Despite me being utterly confused throughout the whole episode, I don't think I can bring myself to drop this. I'm more curious than ever as to where exactly this show is going. If anything, I want to see how Ishihara will react to Samumenco's identity (she's pissed, we can tell that much), how Mari is faring mentally, and when the hell are we gonna see Goto's girlfriend? Confused
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
The biggest "wtf" moment is going to be when the series decides to reveal Goto's often referred to Girlfriend.
Killaclown666

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
am I the only one here who doesn't really care who his girlfriend is?
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Killaclown666 wrote:
am I the only one here who doesn't really care who his girlfriend is?

It's just something that's nagging at me. We've been hearing about this girlfriend constantly since the first episode, and to not have her appear at all or play any kind of role in the plot, whether it be a large role or a minor role, would really irritate me.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, this episode provided a couple things that I was hoping for. It mostly explained how King Torture could suddenly become so powerful, and it evened out the field a little by finally giving us spoiler[the fantastic secret fighting force that they had mad no hint of previously, evening out the world a little,]

Unfortunately... the episode was also boring and DUMB AS %#@*!

I could barely get through that episode, other than spoiler[some laughs about the team composition and a high body count of "lesser" heroes it was as predictable as could be and painfully formulaic.
]

It was like that horrible episode of the mostly mediocre harem comedy show with the revolving directors, Mayoi Neko Overrun . One episode was apparently be a tribute or parody of a giant robot/ super sentai show but was done so straight-faced it completely failed as a parody and so boring that it failed as a tribute.

In short, you don't reinvent a genre by doing the same 'ol crap everyone else has already done.

What we have now is a supremely inelegant cramming together of a show that is interesting but a bit boring, and a show that is crazy and wild but dumber than a bag of hammers.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Following the logic set up before, Episode 11 is effectively "first episode of season 2", I have not seen it myself however this sounds like how Akibranger operated for its episode development and had the strange premise of "except the monsters ARE REAL!" with the similar twist.

That said, if there has been any episode that feels like it was a "throw away" episode, it would have to be this one.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
How did the Flamengers exist years before Hazama became Samurai Flamenco? Was his grandfather one of the early Flamengers and trained Hazama into becoming his successor or something? And what is Goto - everyday ordinary policeman - supposed to do now that there's aliens running around?

Anyway, the show has clearly lost what made it once so great and special. I'm dropping it as of the latest episode. Let me know if the identity of Goto's girlfriend ever gets revealed.

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Samurai Shinesman! Brought to you by Kyoukai no Kanata.

Ok, so I think it's significant that Kaname/Red Axe was spoiler[playing out the plot of Harakiri Sunshine,] but how it's significant I can't guess. And the fact that there have been spoiler[Flamengers for ten years or more suggests that Grandpa must've been involved with that, otherwise there's no reason for the Flamenco tie-in] - unless we're back to it's-a-dream territory.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 28