• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best of 2013: TV- "New" and "Complete" [sic]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your favorite "New" Anime that "completed" in 2013
*other* (your's missing? mention in the thread below)
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Attack on Titan
16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
Devil is a Part-Timer!
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Eccentric Family
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Flowers of Evil
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori)
16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Gatchaman Crowds
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Kotoura-san
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kyousogiga
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Little Busters / Refrain
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Non Non Biyori
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Servant × Service
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Silver Spoon
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Sunday Without God
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A Town Where You Live (Kimi no Iru Machi)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WATAMOTE
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 56

Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
I'll try this again, two polls for Best of 2013.
Creating one poll list for the year is just too problematic, a poll only allows 20 choices, leaving out too many possibilities, and trying to figure out parameters to limit the choices in one poll excludes worthy entries. So I make two.

The other poll contains shows that will be continuing into 2013 (KIll la KIll, Golden Time), are a continuation or franchise entry from a previous year (Chihayafuru 2, A Certain Scientific Railgun S) or long running shows that have spanned more than a year (Hunter X Hunter, Space Brothers, Fairy Tail).
It can be found here:
Best of 2013: TV- Franchise, Sequels, Continuing, and long running

This poll is for shows that were entirely shown in 2013, finished in 2013 (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure), or whose first installment was in or finished in 2013, even if more is planned (Silver Spoon).

So they were "new" in 2013 (even if they began in 2012) and "completed" even if sequels are planned or expected.

I'm sure there will be disagreements with which 19 shows I chose (love or hate), but that's why I included an "other" option.
It's also quite possible that I simply missed an obvious choice by accident.

*If any "OTHER" shows get repeatedly mentioned in the discussion as #1 choices, I'll edit this post and place them at the top of the page.*

I determined the list by using ANN's search by year tool and chose the highest rated shows, with some exceptions (I also manually made a list of higher rated shows that continued fron 2012). I took out a couple I thought were highly rated but I personally thought might not get many #1 votes and included a couple more choices that I thought have dedicated fans that might vote for the show.
It is definitely not my personal top 20 for the year and the high score of a couple frankly surprised me.

I used the titles in the poll as listed in ANN's encyclopedia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 am Reply with quote
Tough choice, but I eventually went for Flowers of Evil. It was unsettling, creepy and I really enjoyed the direction. I also really liked Watamote, Free and Silver Spoon.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
We already had such a poll:

animenewsnetwork.com/the-list/2013-12-14
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
"had," as in, it was open for 4-5 days and done. I probably should have waited for the results of it to start this one, maybe those results will reveal a glaring omission.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm only halfway through From the New World at this moment, and although I have high hopes, I can't possibly give it my vote without having seen how it ends. Therefore, I'm voting for Eccentric Family, which lasted much longer and more vividly in my heart and soul than I would have expected when I finished it. Sunday without God would be next on my list, there was so much beauty in it, but, sadly, also some annoying aspects around the middle, which keeps me from making it my no. 1.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I voted for From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori) as it was the only show I watched all the way though. I rated Watamote higher but I have moved to the manga. I was going to vote other for Nagi no Asukara until I realised that the pole was for completed series only.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan was really good when it was good. Otherwise, it was boring and slow. So New World it is.
Daiki Tetsuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
Attack on Titan
Free!
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Shinsekai Yori dominating this poll Smile Also, Chihayafuru if it counts. Free! is a surprise hit for me (aka I didn't expect it to be good at all) and Gin no Saji is close to my love for Chihayafuru.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Nothing stood out to me except AOT. Huge but, because I found 90% of the episodes very boring. Which means, very unbalanced and just average 6/7 of 10.

New World was quite confusing and I won't get it until I rewatch (I didn't finish it as a result), but it had a consistent entertainment.

I see I already posted here. Glad I agree with myself for once.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm too lazy to look up whether there were other anime in 2013 that might be my favourite, so I'll just stick with the choices listed which happen to include some titles I super-dug.

Here is my Top Five of the listed choices (in no order):

Devil is a Part-Timer! (The humour of this comedy really worked for me: the bromance between The Demon Lord and his faithful servant, the Hero's antipathy/grudging like for him and the classic scene where the Demon Lord agonized over spoiler[whether to use a portion of his very limited magic to cook some fries so that his restaurant location could win a competition])

Eccentric Family (Loved the wonky situation, location and characters. By turns funny and poignant, I was just really onboard with the experience.)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Phantom Blood & Battle Tendency) - I can't tell you how many times I laughed with (not at) the ridiculously manly over-the-top hijinks herein. Almost blind with rage that this has not been licensed in NA yet)

Non Non Biyori (The appeal of this massively cute trifle can be summed up in one word: Ren-chon. So adorable. Although, I was pretty fond of her less than energetic teacher/older sister, too.)

WATAMOTE (When I wasn't laughing - which was a lot - I was cringing. Tomoko Kuroki was one of the most memorable lead characters of 2013 and I lived in constant fear that she was going to be humiliated beyond the limits of human endurance. Major props to her seiyuu, Izumi Kitta, for providing the perfect voice for a character like that.)

My top five faves are all pretty different from each other which makes it very difficult to chose one ultimate favourite, but gun to head, I voted for...

...JoJo. I eagerly anticipated each new episode the most of any show in 2013, but the other four weren't far behind, that's for sure.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
New World was quite confusing and I won't get it until I rewatch (I didn't finish it as a result), but it had a consistent entertainment.

How far did you get? It's one of those puzzle-like stories where it only makes sense at the end.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
meepsheeps wrote:
egoist wrote:

How far did you get? It's one of those puzzle-like stories where it only makes sense at the end.

About halfway. Far from where things usually tie together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1