• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Remastered Ranma 1/2 Blu-ray Trailer Compares Differences

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
No cost yet?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if the preview video is just low quality, but it also seems highly compressed and degrained. It basically looks like a good DVD, but definitely not a grainy 16mm BD, which is how it's supposed to look. Kudos to not cropping the video, I guess.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I can't be the only one who thinks the DVD looks better in the side-by-side shots. Just look at how blurry Ranma's red shirt is on the BD compared to the better details on the DVD. You can barely make out the yellow on the BD side.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Let's use side by shots not from a Youtube video, shall we?

RyanSaotome wrote:
No cost yet?

It's currently set to $55 MSRP for the BD and $45 for the DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadablade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I can't be the only one who thinks the DVD looks better in the side-by-side shots. Just look at how blurry Ranma's red shirt is on the BD compared to the better details on the DVD. You can barely make out the yellow on the BD side.

Emerje

Thank god im not the only one who plainly saw this. The remaster colors are WAY too hot and its bluring out the detail. Even being a youtube video you wouldnt lose that much in the compression / upload process (unless it was a REALLY bad capture)

Id really like to see some actual screen shots side by side from both sources (as is usually done) and judge from there, but first impression there is pretty damning.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
It's so good to see Viz coming through on these box sets. That looks great. And what's this? A signs and subtitle track?
Shadablade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Thanks for this, I missed it at first. I still think its a mixed bag...In some areas you do get more line detail, but lose color detail (shading, highlights etc) and in some areas the opposite. I still say that some of their colors, especially the red is way to hot and should be toned back a scale.

Will be nice to judge them as the release comes out.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least the remaster doesn't seem as broken as Funimation's DBZ remaster (Level sets excluded).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
supersqueak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Good enough for me I don't have the old ones so I am so gonna get this.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Shadablade wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

Thanks for this, I missed it at first. I still think its a mixed bag...In some areas you do get more line detail, but lose color detail (shading, highlights etc) and in some areas the opposite. I still say that some of their colors, especially the red is way to hot and should be toned back a scale.

Will be nice to judge them as the release comes out.

Did you try clicking on the images btw? You'll get the full 1080p resolution compared with the DVD upscaled to 1080p. The quality differences become more obvious then.

The colors might have been enhanced, but they are also likely that bright in real life. I've seen actual Ranma 1/2 cells a long time ago, but I do remember them looking that bright.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm not sure if the preview video is just low quality, but it also seems highly compressed and degrained. It basically looks like a good DVD, but definitely not a grainy 16mm BD, which is how it's supposed to look. Kudos to not cropping the video, I guess.

It's definitely not degrained. You can see from the snapshots above and also from fansubs/JP BD rips.

But here's my rant about film purists. Unlike film, there is no grain on the cells. Zero, zip, nada, just solid painted colors. An animator would be insane to add super fine speckle by hand to each and every character cell of every frame. So I think old remastered works should be degrained to match the original, pre-film look.

Last edited by configspace on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Thanks for the link, yeah I can see a huge differences from the comparison. I think the Blu-ray would be worth the buy!!! Very Happy
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea how anyone with a working pair of eyes can say that the old DVD version looks better.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I'm SO stoked for this! Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
It's definitely not degrained. You can see from the snapshots above and also from fansubs/JP BD rips.

But here's my rant about film purists. Unlike film, there is no grain on the cells. Zero, zip, nada, just solid painted colors. An animator would be insane to add super fine speckle by hand to each and every character cell of every frame. So I think old remastered works should be degrained to match the original, pre-film look.

That'd be nice if you're Disney with multi-million dollar restoration budgets, but even those degrained films can still be messy. I didn't really care for how Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, and Cinderella came out. Even if the grain isn't the original intent of the artist, it's a physical reality of the production process and should be preserved. "Unlike film there is no grain on cels" might as well be "unlike film there is no grain in real life". Film is grainy, and things were shot on it.

Also, I know the snapshots show how it looks on the Japanese BDs, I'm specifically talking about VIZ's preview video, which looks worrisome and nothing like the Japanese BDs.

DmonHiro wrote:
I have no idea how anyone with a working pair of eyes can say that the old DVD version looks better.

No one's really preferring the DVD, just stating the the video makes the BD look like crap compared to how it should appear. I hope it's just the same materials, untweaked, that the Japanese release had.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Do remember those shots are from the JP BDs. Those averaged 6 episodes per disc as opposed to ~7-8(23/3) here so we can't be sure if it's even the same master.

The JP release does seem to retain the grain. Whether it is the same with Viz's release no idea. Youtube might not be the best for a comparison though...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4