• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Flamenco (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
Might as well add that when I think of sentai parody I actually think of the Gachi Rangers. It Mitsudomoe only took it for an episode because they knew there was only so far they could point out all of the implausibility.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
I for one hope we see Ishihara beat the crap outta Hazama next eppie.

This latest episode didn't feel like a new ball of crazy to me. Instead, it felt like the logical extension of what we have already seen since the surprise introduction of Gorillatine. It's nice to finally get an explanation of what was really behind all that.

To me, the comedic tone of the show hasn't really changed at all. The five rangers arguing over who should be Red in the latest episode feels of a piece with Hazama explaining his concept of justice to Goto back in the first eppie. Sure, plausibility levels have changed radically, but in many ways it is still the same show it always was.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
It's like that episode of Happy Days in Hawaii, where the Fonz got out on waterskiis and jumped over a shark, and then he adopted that shark, and taught it to do tricks from a kiddie pool in the back yard, and then the shark learned to talk, and got his degree in computer engineering, despite a complete lack of not only opposable thumbs, but also non-opposable fingers of any sort, and then the shark learned how to fly and took the Fonz on a tour through time and space, because he was bigger on the inside, an then the shark returned to the time and place of his birth, the big bang, to restart the universe once again.

It's kinda like that.

That is the best description ever. You have my gratitude.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Uh yeah. . . I expected a Samurai Flamenco team which this episode presented but it felt weird because the episode felt rushed. Plus, there was an issue of way too much QUALITY this episode. I was expecting this episode to be more relaxing. I thought the characters would settle down and review the past events before the rise of the next villain(s) but I was wrong. I don't know what to expect anymore. Still, I'm entertained on some level but it's probably just my curiosity of what the show staff plan to do next.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
By the way, what the hell happened with this anime half way?

It was real-world story, and then all of sudden it became ridiculously unrealistic.

Is there reason why authors did that? Or this is totally random?

Usually it makes sense to either make whole thing about real world, or crazy fantasy.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:39 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

So how can I hate this character?

The same way we "hate" Batman.

Wink

But Batman is supposed to be good, and King Torture is bad. Yet I can not hate him.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I wholeheartedly embraced the insanity back when the gorilla appeared. I no longer care that this show no longer makes any sense. I absolutely love it and I'm looking forward to what else it has in store for us.
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Miku really let herself go...

FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Masayoshi's relations are strained, and he certainly notices it.

He has become the leader of heros like many youths would dream about, yet being such a hero isn't as much of a dream job if you end up alone when it comes to relations.

The situation is still surreal as it can get, yet the point isn't about fighting alien monsters in a Sentai format as it is and has been about the characters just trying to live there lives in this ever escalating world.

Prediction for next twist, it's all out giant mecha wars with platoons of giant robots.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Still better journalism than USA Today.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
Oh, show, I don't know what to do with you. The first seven eps had such good writing, and I really feel invested in these characters. I care about what happens to Masayoshi, Goto and Mari. But I could care less about the Samurai Flamengers. I get it; I saw Power Rangers as a kid, I know there's a market for this nostalgic parody. But aside from a couple of scenes, I really don't want to waste time with this cheesy, over-the-top homage anymore.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
I thought I'd be able to continue when it came on, but when I saw it in my CR queue I gave a big sigh and realized I just didn't want to watch it. Maybe I'll catch up later but for now I'm using the advice given to avoid burnout. If it feels like a chore to watch... don't watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
Well, i finally seem to have reached the acceptance stage, so i'm still enjoying this show (or enjyoing it again), just on a different level.

This ep. was pretty funny with the spoiler[monster idol group, Mari living in Goto's closet and the "deluxe mode". It was good to see Masayoshi slowly getting accepted by the other Flamengers while still remaining friends with Goto. I'm kinda expecting Mari to fill the vacant Flamen Yellow position.]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:13 am Reply with quote
*sigh* Now this show is just getting boring. I mean, even after it took its crazy twist I was at least still inclined to keep watching just to see what weird twist it would take next. But now we're just settling into this very dull super sentai parody if you can call it that. I mean, it's basically just "hey, these are super sentai tropes" but they don't even feel like jokes. They're not any more exaggerated or lampooned than in the super sentai shows themselves.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

So first the new OP, it was pretty much exactly what had happened up to now with some focus of events from episode 11, not really any evidence of what is going to happen or what themes to be expected. The show used to have logic, it was why he did not become an awesome super hero straight away and fought against petty crime. But no it has just lost almost all sense and is almost entirely a super sentai show, it is trying to say it is parodying it but is not very convincing. Suddenly they are using all the silly or ridiculously impractical looking tools that come with the genre that I just eye roll.

Why does a super robot need to be made out of smaller parts? Why do they need to carry a cannon like that? Why are they fighting so much on foot against enemies that are so dangerous on foot? Why did it apparently take the Flamengers so long to intervene when a pattern should have quickly been noticed with the rings, in totally 29 places hit? Why didn't the monsters fight smarter instead of acting like enemies from sentai shows, when they should easily be able to assassinate any of the known Flamengers? Why was the advanced technology able to help, distributed to other groups so it is not entirely reliant on 5 people in the same area that don't really work well together or seem entirely stable?

Right now Goto and Mari are far more interesting than any of the Flamengers as they are at least fairly more realistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 28