• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Last Second Gift Guide

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Little Witch Academia isn't dubbed yet, and that can be a major turn off for many non-anime fans.
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Kids on the Slope was the best anime I've seen in a long long time. I hope it does well, and I hope I get it myself Very Happy
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Cute list! Thanks! Please have a happy holiday season.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I hope anyone buying Little Witch Academia does know it's only 26 minutes including credits, and nothing even close to feature length.
Msag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the article, Bamboo! I love the categorizations because I can also use them to figure out which anime I should watch based on my mood, considering there are so many of these 2013 shows I haven't watched yet Smile
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
BinBouGami1234 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Little Witch Academia isn't dubbed yet, and that can be a major turn off for many non-anime fans.

I agree with this. As cute as LWA is, the language barrier can indeed be an issue with fledgling fans.

Personally, I think one of the best gateway anime to be released in the past year is Tiger & Bunny.
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of a shill for Black Lagoon as an anime gateway drug. It also helps that it's largely better in English than Japanese and you need not apologize for having it next to Black Hawk Down and Bloodsport in your Blu-Ray collection.

If anything you have to apologize for Bloodsport...
utawoutau

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe that Little Witch Academy is commercially available in the United States. I considered purchasing this as a gift for my nieces, but could not figure out where to buy it.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Spaceman Hardy suggests Tiger and Bunny and nechroniuos admits to schilling Black Lagoon, so I may as well call myself a whore for Girls und Panzer as an additional suggestion. Once you get past the first few episodes, there's plenty to enjoy for fans of action and history, not to mention it's one of the few modern anime you can show to families without coming off as that weird asshole who likes "pervy toons".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
I don't believe that Little Witch Academy is commercially available in the United States. I considered purchasing this as a gift for my nieces, but could not figure out where to buy it.

The only place you can buy it from is here.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
I'm kind of a shill for Black Lagoon as an anime gateway drug. It also helps that it's largely better in English than Japanese and you need not apologize for having it next to Black Hawk Down and Bloodsport in your Blu-Ray collection.

If anything you have to apologize for Bloodsport...

Black Lagoon is a pretty good gateway anime, now that I think about it, as it starts off being realistic and plausible, slowly building to the ridiculous. By the time a new anime fan has made it through The Second Barrage and Roberta's Blood Trail, I think they're ready for Dead Leaves or Penguindrum. They'd probably call those 2 tame in comparison.

Sadly the dub of Black Lagoon also takes a long time to get good, only trouncing the Japanese in The Second Barrage, and there only by virtue of the Japanese track using so much Engrish that it is unintentionally funny. The dub will also make the dealings with the nazis lack impact as the dub self-censored that conversation and, unfortunately, told us that it is okay to use anti-white racist slurs but not anti-black slurs. Double standards fail: no one is going to believe that a racist nazi isn't going to throw racial slurs against a black guy when the black guy is pelting the nazi with anti-white ones...especially when the nazi is, in the Japanese track, throwing them out like Santa throws out candy canes at Christmas.
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
First, I love this article. It is pretty much the way I have been introducing people to anime for years: finding out what kinds of movies and TV shows they are into, and making one or two recommendations based on that. Second, I would never boot you off my Secret Santa list.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
A really solid list. It does a good job of highlighting the most notable releases of the year.
tehyar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Good list, though would most definitely swap Daily Lives out for Yuru Yuri in the funny category.
partysmores

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
What about the fan who doesn't have a Blu-Ray player, AKA my friend? I'm about to say fudge it, head to Barnes and Noble and buy him whatever. because seriously this is difficult. All the new releases are Blu-Ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2