• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Hunting - NO Recommendation threads allowed! [READ THE 1st POST]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this steps too much into recommendation territory (sorry if it does), but as I've recently discovered my love for a certain type of anime, I was wondering if there might be a recommendation thread for this. There wasn't, which is why I'm here. I'm going to refer to these anime as road (movie) anime, as they deal with journeys and how they shape the traveller (and viewer). I guess this would be a sub-genre of the adventure genre. They may or may have not an all-encompassing story arc, but if they do, the main arc should not get in the way of the fascination of travelling itself. The protagonist might only act as a catalyst that allows us to meet people and travel to far away places, or they might actually have something to solve by travelling (but the journey should be the focus, not only a means for the protagonist to get to a specific place where to take revenge etc.). A series like this will most likely be of a more episodic nature.

Mushi-Shi and Kino's Journey would be the prototype, naturally, but something like Sunday without God would still fit, even though there is an encompassing arc, we still see the protagonists travel to very distinct and different places that influence their views of the world they're living in.

As this will likely be too specific to create it's own recommendation thread, maybe some of you have a recommendation?
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Road anime, huh? Surprisingly few now that I think about it. The Diary of Tortov Roddle will probably fit nicely. It is a bunch of shorts, with no spoken lines, about the main character's travels through a strange world. El Cazador de la Bruja, A Wind Named Amnesia (movie), and Wolf's Rain (maybe) fit. That last one is dark and doesn't 100% fit.

Maybes:
Melody of Oblivion
Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee actually fits perfectly, but the main character gets annoying after 5-6 eps. Awesome setting, interesting set-up, now if only Lag didn't break down crying twice in every episode....
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Tony K.--

I just noticed that you created a new general category (Commemorative / Holiday / Seasonal) to create a logical place for "Christmas" and it occurs to me that you may want to take "Halloween" from the main list and put it in the new category as well.

It's just an idea.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh. Didn't even see it Shocked.

Done.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Hello again!

Got a few more requests for recommendations, so gimme what you got. You know the drill with me - dubs only please. And check my anime for things I've seen/am watching. Also, my backlog is huuuuuge, so if something is mentioned that I already own but haven't yet watched, it will be moved to the front of the queue! Looking for:

- A show where the characters are mostly/entirely in Chibi form (currently watching Haruhi-Chan Suzumiya and enjoying it loads more than its source anime, so use that as a barometer) and/or that contains weapons-grade MOE. Doesn't necessarily have to be a comedy (although I can't imagine a Chibi/Moe show that wouldn't at least have SOME comedy).

- A brutal, bloody, gory horror romp. I'm not one to be fazed by such content, so the more over-the-top, the better. Got Ninja Scroll (movie AND tv series) on the way, and based on the trailers I've seen, this is pretty much your unit of measurement as far as other, similar titles to recommend. Additionally, I'm also in the midst of watching When They Cry (finally) and am loving every second of it. The combination of Moe, Horror, Gore, and Mystery is pretty much everything I'm looking for, so definitely think along those lines too. Furthermore, I was recently let down by the High School of the Dead OVA and could use a good zombie show to fill the void its total lack of action created (though I've found they're few and far between).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
Just a heads up. I'm okay with this thread being used for very particular requests, as in a genre or sub-genre that's so unique that it can't be lumped into any of the main genres. For example:

This:

Sohma_Curse wrote:
A show where the characters are mostly/entirely in Chibi form

..is totally fine. Chibi is more of a quirk than an actual genre, so it qualifies as more of a "special interest."

However, this:

Sohma_Curse wrote:
A brutal, bloody, gory horror romp.

..can just as easily be anything out of at least half of the categories listed.

So please, don't abuse or try getting around the policies already established. If what you're looking for can fit into the general description of the pre-existing genres, then use that respective thread to ask for stuff.

Thanks.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse, regarding a "brutal, bloody, gory horror romp," you might find something in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1257453
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
Why can I not Post?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Why can I not Post?

Question
Please elaborate.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Why can I not Post?

If you're asking "why can I not post [a recommendation thread]," it's pretty self-explanatory in the first paragraph of the first post of this thread:

Quote:
The ANN Anime forum has adopted a zero tolerance policy on creating recommendation threads, as in the past this has been a major problem. Instead we have collected these suggestions on how to find anime which matches your tastes without opening new recommendation threads. Between the official threads indexed here and the many resources that ANN offers, we feel there is no reason to clutter the forum with excessive threads that don't produce meaningful new discussion.

Or, you can read this post for a variation of my ongoing belief about why most recommendation threads suck.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
I got a error while attempting to post last time. I did not think the above post would allow me to post due to the stated error. My bad glad to see it only happened one time.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
May I prevail upon a moderator to place a link for this thread somewhere in the OP?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Added.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm mostly asking in this thread since what I'm looking for is pretty broad in general, if that's okay. Does anyone know a good show focused on a 'proper' sibling relationship? When I say proper I'm saying proper I mean more towards no bro/sis-con involved, be it blood-related or not. I'm mostly referring to opposite sexes btw. I'm cool with seeing bros being bros and sisters being sisters but I'd really rather see something like this which seems to be a rarity nowadays. One example, although pretty weird, would probably be No Game, No Life. Sure the MCs are really attached in a very unusual way to the point they can't be mentally stable if they're a certain distance away from eachother, but the recent episode made it clear and solid it's not going anywhere near incest route to me. So yeah: no romantic involvement, opposite sexes, but it doesn't matter to me whether they're related or not. Thanks in advance!
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
I've only read the manga, and it's maybe not quite exactly what you're looking for, but Baby and Me might work. It's about a teenage boy who ends up having to take care of his younger brother when their mother dies, as their father has to work to support them. I don't like small children IRL yet I find this series adorable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 17