• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump to Run All You Need Is Kill Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they should call the English GN adaptation "Edge of Tomorrow" and leave the manga version with the original title.

Also interesting that they're publishing a Seinen title in the US WSJ
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Cool! I was hoping they'd pick this up. I've read the novel and can't wait to see it as a manga from the artist behind Death Note!
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Now THAT'S more like the powered armor I imagined! If this gets published in English I'll pick it up. The book was plenty entertaining.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
If they can bring that over, then what's holding up Assassination Classroom? The title? Just change it.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes.

Yes!

YES!

*punches the air repeatedly*

I GOT MY CHRISTMAS WISH!
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If they can bring that over, then what's holding up Assassination Classroom? The title? Just change it.

Pretty sure its 'Guns in the Classroom' in general that they don't see flying well in the US.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Shame it's only a mini-series... have they said how many chapters it'll be?
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Pretty sure its 'Guns in the Classroom' in general that they don't see flying well in the US.

Not to mention the overall plot of the book is that the students are being trained to kill their teacher. Not that hard to see how it would be a hard sell and would just raise all kinds of unnecessary controversy, which is a shame since it's a really fun one.

I don't understand why they missed out completely on Nuero though. The easy guess would be because it isn't a straight up action title which are the easy bets for profit.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I also imagine it would be a huge pain to translate some of the humor too. A lot of gags in the series are nigh-impenetrable puns and wordplay that would be really hard to properly convey in English.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I also imagine it would be a huge pain to translate some of the humor too. A lot of gags in the series are nigh-impenetrable puns and wordplay that would be really hard to properly convey in English.

I don't know about that at all. The scanlation group Utopia have done a great job of translating the wordpuns into something that is actually funny in english without it being an awkward, direct translation. It's great when a scanlation group knows how to use a thesaurus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1