• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Report invasive ads here (archived)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
richfam wrote:
Just ran into another instance of these incredibly annoying ads, so this time I documented it.

Rectangular ad played when I opened up another user's Anime List at 4:30 AM CST. It was a 30-second ad for "Skyfall" on an endless loop: I could not pause it, and could not even mute it. It played at least 20 times before I closed the page.

Right-clicking on the ad brought up the following (first two lines were grayed out/unclickable):

------
Springboard video player v4.26.1
age:7 coms:5 contr:10 sban:6 adv:21 anno: gan: hdw:5 pse: yt: comp:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Settings...
Global Settings...
About Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.235...
------

This text was displayed at the bottom of the page: Ads by ... Gorilla Nation

I took two screenshots if you need them. The first one shows the ad playing on the page and identifies the ad's subject. The second one shows the right-click pop-up dialog (as documented above).

This crap is back. Noisy ads for Mucinex, Lysol, and something else that only have a mute button (no pause), and as soon as one finishes, a new one loads up un-muted.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

This crap is back. Noisy ads for Mucinex, Lysol, and something else that only have a mute button (no pause), and as soon as one finishes, a new one loads up un-muted.

Are the ads still by Gorilla Nation ?

Chris

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Getting loads of audio & video autoplay ads on the main page

I really want to get rid of this stuff, I hate audio ads as much as all of you.

Please tell me what the "ads by" line says at the bottom of the page next time you see it and I'll get rid of it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Tempest wrote:

Are the ads still by Gorilla Nation ?

Chris

Never mind, I was able to find the ads myself and disable the account that they were coming from.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
"HI I'M BARRY SCOTT!"

ARGH! Nooooo.

Just to explain, Cillit Bang ads (featuring the Brian Blessard like but sans the cheesy charm spokes-character Barry Scott) are to Brits what "Head On, Apply Directly To The Forehead" ads were to Americans... roughly. Admittedly there's been worse (I'm looking at you Crazy Frog) but they are considered really irritating.

I just looked this up and well, wow... I hadn't realized that this was parodying something specific.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Where do you stand on ads that blink really fast and obnoxiously?

Ad by Venatus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
There is an annoying auto-playing video ad with horrendously messed up audio that I've had twice. It seemed to be for Ribena.
Ad by Venatus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
There is an annoying auto-playing video ad with horrendously messed up audio that I've had twice. It seemed to be for Ribena.
Ad by Venatus.

I've just had it 3-4 times in a row. I had my volume down low and was worried at first that my DVD player was breaking or something due to the weird noise.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I dont know if you guys consider this invasive, but I do. The adds on the top, left, and right for https://www.daisuki.net/saoee is REALLY getting my on nerves. I'll be reading an article or posting something here and then I get a chat message so I'll click out, or I'll be changing a song a playlist...whatever it doesnt matter but I'll click off the browser and when I click back in I'll accidently click either the top, the left, or the right and have my entire page changed to https://www.daisuki.net/saoee . It's VERY irritatng because it happens like 30 times a day. I know part of it is my fault but the ads are just far too big. Please dont shove this stuff down my throat like this.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote
Had an auto-pop-up on the main page again today. My mouse was over by Freeza's head, and the page had just loaded, so there was no chance of mouse-over. I only clicked on it to close, but it looked like a Dodge Ram ad served by moeka-chan.

http://i58.tinypic.com/mkw3l0.jpg
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Had an auto-pop-up on the main page again today. My mouse was over by Freeza's head, and the page had just loaded, so there was no chance of mouse-over. I only clicked on it to close, but it looked like a Dodge Ram ad served by moeka-chan.

I can't see who is responsible for this ad Sad The "ads by..." line is blocked/cutoff in the screenshot. If this happens again (hopefully it won't) please close it and report the ad underneath it.

Thanks
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

I just got one of these, so I know where they are coming from. I'll contact the network responsible.

Chris
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. Today it was a Jeep ad in the upper-right corner this time, but the individual "ad by" line blocked by the ad/content under it.

Edit: by the wonders of copy-paste after getting hit again... Gorilla Nation.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Twice today I have suddenly been redirected to a page on another side. Once after hitting enter to run a search, the second time just reading a forum thread. The first page was telling me to update java, the second was a copy of the official flash download page which prompted a download. When I clicked back on the second one it happened again and somehow overwrote my history so I couldn't click back again. Since I was taken away from ANN I do not know what on the page caused it.
As far as I am aware I have nothing installed on my computer or my browser that could be causing this, but if it happens again I will take further steps to investigate.

--edit--

After spending some time on other sites, I return to ANN and straight away get redirected to http://www.sunworedont.com/GB/index.php?dv1=10788315&dv2=&dv3=GB&dv4=Adfunky-GB&sec_id=qWJ8vBQjIEzEzreUD3KHv3HjvTekD38jf3J3fAuE7AO0D0i8fAMrNkw8h0RmCa8ENaw37Bw%EB&marketing_fid=MTM5OTMzOTQxMC00ODkwYzYzZGU2NDVjNmM3MjdhNWUxYjFiMmY5NDNmZA== which is trying to get me to download a supposed Java update. I still don't know what trigerred it, but do any of the IDs in the URL mean anything to you (e.g. are you running any campaigns from "Adfunky-GB")?

--edit--

Well, it has happened on another site now so I've tried disabling all my Chrome extensions and ending a couple of tasks.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 26