• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Fate/Zero ad suppressing content

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote
The new Fate/Zero ad (as of my initial view 12/31 07:15) is pushing web site content right off the right side of the page. A column about Space Dandy can be read, but the usual directory list of other topical features is pushed right out of frame on the right without even a scroll bar to access it. It becomes necessary to expand the entire web browser frame to full screen to see the whole of ANN's content. I don't think that advertising should be so desperate that it should override site content, should it?

UPDATE: After further examination I see that the topical features that would appear on the right now reflow down below the other content. I suppose that precludes any need for a scroll bar. And it allows advertisements to show themselves in full regardless of the size of the browser frame. Good for the advertisers, I suppose.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Hi Gridsleep,

As you figured, the recent content bar ("sidebar") has been pushed to the bottom of the page.

This also happens on narrow screens even when there is no skin. The site layout is designed to move that section to the bottom of the screen anytime the browser is too narrow for it to fit.

On our old site (ANN 4), we had permanent gutters that remained regardless of whether there was a skin or not (wasted space). On ANN 5 that space is reclaimed for content (on some pages) when there is no skin. But when a skin is present, it takes the space back.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1