• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Wins Audience Award at Belgium Film Fest

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
Good job Death Note. Though you weren't as good as the anime or the manga, you still deserved it.

Man... now I want to watch the movies again.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
Well, I wasn't too impressed by the first Deathnote movie. Then again, there seem to be a number of crappy American films in the festival as well.

http://www.bifff.org/index2.php?s=program&p=festival&day=0&type=films&locatie=0

There also are a bunch of anime and manga based films. Though, ugh, they seem to use the term 'JapAnimation'. They also have Katsuhiro Otomo's Bugmaster based on the manga Mushihi.

Of course, we also have French comic artist and animator Enki Bilal represented. Let's not forget about Eurpean comics and animation. You know, even if pretty much the rest of the world does.

And of course Deathnote is far from the worst film at the festival. Dear crap. I just saw they showed a Uwe Boll film.

Ok, other than that. There are a ton of great looking films in this festival. Hot Fuzz? Damn. I keep meaning to see that.

Oh and the Syd Mead tribute with films like Aliens, Star Trek the Motion Picture, and Short Cuircuit is pretty neat too.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
Death Note is becoming an international hit! This is lovely news. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Though really, does Warner Brothers really need another hit comic book franchise? Rolling Eyes

Seriously, it was clearly not as bad at taking liberties as, say, Superman Returns, but I have my quibbles with the Deathnote movie. (I only saw the first one.) I just didn't care for it cinematography wise. I'll give it some leeway on the edits, because I think I saw an edited for TV version, but I was fairly unimpressed. Also, Ryuk sometimes looked good and other times the CGI showed too much.

Actually, I have a feeling Warners mucked things up like they did in Batman Begins. Aside from Mrs Tom Cruise, I really thought Batman Begins got it dead on. Originally, they planned for Harvey Dent as was shown in the Batman Long Halloween comics. Unfortunately, Warners demanded a central female love interest. So they invented a new girlfriend for him. They seem to have done the same with Death Note. Instead of using Misa in the first film, or in Batman's case Talia or Selina, they had them invent a new character and create a plot around her. Bah.

As far as adaptation, I'm looking forward toward the anime, as it seems to take less liberties than the film. Though for that I'm waiting for the DVDs to check out the dub, because reading the dialouge for Death Note once is enough. What little I saw of the anime, I have enjoyed much better.

Also, there are a ton of other movies listed at this festival which I would rather see over the Deathnote movie.

Also, wow, there was a cosplay contest at the film festival:
(scroll down) http://www.bifff.org/index2.php?taal=3
RubberSoul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Uwahhh, I'm so happy. I'm a big Death Note fan. It's so exciting when people like what you like. x)
roxfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I went to Tokikake and Mushishi. Tokikake was awesome, best thing I saw in years. The public didn't applaud for too long, but apparently they did like the movie because there was no shouting of "funny" comments during even the moving scenes, which happes with almost any movie at BIFF. Mushishi, at the other hand, was uninteresting and too drawn out. People applauded a bit with a feeling "thank god it ended". I didn't make it to Death Note showings so I'm not sure how it went with the public.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I almost made a joke that Mushishi / Bugmaster was going to be boring anyway because it was an Oshii film, but then I realized it was actually Otomo who made it.
Kitakaze

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
Awesome! Both movies were awesome, but Im surprised the first movie one. I thought The Last Name was better, but congrats on DN! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

http://www.bifff.org/index2.php?s=program&p=festival&day=0&type=films&locatie=0

There also are a bunch of anime and manga based films. Though, ugh, they seem to use the term 'JapAnimation'.

Seems Europeans don't feel the same connotation as it has in North America, just as Japan doesn't mind using it too.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
Well, remember it won an audience award. If the audience was full of Death Note fans, of course it would win.

Still, I thought the movies were fairly well done, for what they were.

On Light's girlfriend:
I think they threw her in there so they could use her instead of some random chick for the bus scene. And also to help him get Naomi without having to throw in a long dialog scene. Maybe also to show just how unfeeling and evil he can be.
They can't use Misa as he doesn't meet her until she gets a Death Note. Misa's all over the second film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1